Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:50 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
bigger problem aesthetically than scientifically. There are those scared to death of high voltage lines. But that is pretty much irrational as you get more exposure from the wiring in your house than a high tension line 60 yards away.

But they are ugly and detract from the property. Once had a client couple get into a real snit when they failed to get a high voltage line property after they made a quite reasonable bid...they did not care but unfortunately neither did the opposing bidder. I was actually amazed.

Agreed.

As noted upthread, she only needs one buyer.
And, "price fixes all deficiencies." Someone will be glad to have it for less than they would pay for a comparable property without the power transmission lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 AM

15,752 posts, read 20,346,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
There are some people who believe that living near high tension electrical wires causes all kinds of health issues and wouldn't buy the house even if your daughter put it on the market for $1.00

I'd buy it for $1 and then rent it out.

Me personally? I wouldn't buy a house next to high tension wires, but it's true about there being an Ass for every seat.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:33 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,402,564 times
UPDATE

The home with the high tension wires next door is in a Boston suburb. Listed four days ago. Thirty walked through over the weekend and they now have three offers, one at the asking price.

As the Dad living in PA I'm shocked. By the way I told her not to buy it two years ago, it will sell for $40,000 more than they paid.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
As the Dad living in PA I'm shocked. .
Hot markets will have all sorts of insanity within them.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:48 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,878,181 times
Quote:
UPDATE

The home with the high tension wires next door is in a Boston suburb. Listed four days ago. Thirty walked through over the weekend and they now have three offers, one at the asking price.

As the Dad living in PA I'm shocked. By the way I told her not to buy it two years ago, it will sell for $40,000 more than they paid.
Well glad to hear that the high tension lines didn't scare off all of the potential buyers

$40K over the price they paid? Pretty sweet deal and definitely nothing to complain about.

Boston is a pretty hot market from what I understand and real estate is wicked crazy there. I've been interviewing for jobs and a company in the Boston area is interested in me but based on the housing costs I've seen...the job offer is gonna have to come in high, lol.

I'm amazed at how much people will pay in high COL areas for housing. Boston is high but not as horrible as some places. I have a friend in Manhattan who pays almost 5K a month for a 1-bedroom apartment

Old 06-04-2018, 06:07 PM

5,108 posts, read 6,050,707 times
There are also people who see the land under the Lines as extra open space. Soccer, baseball, football, just don't fly kites!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:07 PM

1,050 posts, read 756,662 times
Quote:
UPDATE

Well that's good news for her! Hopefully everything will proceed easily and she closes quickly.

Having worked on and around high voltage transmission structures (when I was a working person) and remembering that it was necessary to ground the trucks (various reasons for that) I would not choose to live in close proximity to them. There is a corona effect emanating from the high voltage circuits and though studies are really not conclusive to the health of humans in that regard, I just would not want to expose myself or my family to it 24/7. Plus the big ones buzz like a million angry bees and they make snapping sounds too... who wants to hear that all night long?

Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
There are also people who see the land under the Lines as extra open space. Soccer, baseball, football, just don't fly kites!
Ranchers will lease the open space to graze cows under them too. And people are dumb enough to shoot at the glass insulator bells which is an expensive fix.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Ranchers will lease the open space to graze cows under them too. And people are dumb enough to shoot at the glass insulator bells which is an expensive fix.
There are high tension lines and high tension lines. The heaviest of lines are DC and will not light fluorescent bulbs. Most of the heavy transmission lines have large right of ways preventing any nearby homes.

And the normal high tension lines around cities are for local distribution and are at relatively low voltage with little impact to nearby homes other than being somewhat ugly.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There are high tension lines and high tension lines. The heaviest of lines are DC and will not light fluorescent bulbs. Most of the heavy transmission lines have large right of ways preventing any nearby homes.

And the normal high tension lines around cities are for local distribution and are at relatively low voltage with little impact to nearby homes other than being somewhat ugly.
Right, I don't think lower-level voltages put out the same corona effect, though I worked in transmission and not distribution. They are still deadly though, ask any lineman. They all have crazy stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate