Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:01 PM

15,508 posts, read 40,224,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytohear View Post
That's interesting too. So it doesn't matter if it's one zip for several towns or several zips for one town, we're at their mercy!
You are overthinking this. If a buyer wants a specific school district, the MLS allows agents to draw lines. I can draw the boundaries for any school district in my area. It takes about 30 seconds to do. You don't need to complicate things with multi-entry zip codes and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 09:49 PM

11 posts, read 4,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You are overthinking this. If a buyer wants a specific school district, the MLS allows agents to draw lines. I can draw the boundaries for any school district in my area. It takes about 30 seconds to do. You don't need to complicate things with multi-entry zip codes and such.
I think others reading and posting are understandably thinking of school districts - particularly given the time of year. For my particular property, however, whether or not buyers are able to search by (school) district is not of utmost concern. Regardless, I'm sure all the ideas or workarounds mentioned thus far will be helpful to people.

This is my first time posting, so I'm not sure of the protocol - maybe it's OK to bow out and let the thread continue on to whatever may be of interest to the majority. Thanks again, all - I appreciate having received responses!

Last edited by readytohear; 06-10-2018 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 10:41 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,564,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytohear View Post
That's interesting too. So it doesn't matter if it's one zip for several towns or several zips for one town, we're at their mercy!
And the search will always be X miles from
ZIP.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:10 AM

6,972 posts, read 4,820,194 times
Out here in Washington, I've noticed that real estate ads cross a lot of different realtor sites. In other words, if you look at a specific realtor's web site, you won't just see the houses his office is selling. You'll see houses that are selling from multiple real estate offices. When I would combine that with a map of the area I wanted to look in, I was seeing hundreds of listings. Beyond that, I just filtered them by price.

I used one site almost exclusively and did a lot of my own legwork. If I saw a listing I wanted more info on, I would have to see who was selling it, look up the web site, then look up the MLS on that web site to get the agent's name, then call the office and ask for that agent.

For about four months I was a regular encyclopedia on what was selling from Canada down past Oregon, out east to Coeur d'Alene and most points in between. And after all that, I settled on a property that's less than 20 miles from me. Go figure.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,095,220 times
first, glad you've discovered that while we all call it the MLS (Multiple Listing Service), there are 1000's of them throughout the US, none of us have access to them all, and each one chooses the software provider that will design the inputs/data fields they can search by. In this day and age, I haven't heard of one MLS application that wasn't detailed enough to allow the members who pay for it - the agents - to search for houses by any criteria they need.

You should also know that around 90% of Buyers have an agent. Any agent that is a member of the local MLS can search the MLS. When people are actually ready to buy, and engage the services of an agent, then they will see your house online. Using 3rd party-detached applications like Zillow are great until the accuracy and thoroughness of the information becomes critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate