Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:13 AM

11 posts, read 4,786 times

Advertisements

Many online real estate sites are set up so that when a buyer enters the specific name of a town, the results are shown in a list with photos and/or on a map. I assume many sites are pulling the information directly from the original MLS listing which includes the name of the town and/or any zip codes assigned to it.

I realize the process may vary by region, and some sites do make it simple to include surrounding areas. However, does anyone know if in general the MLS system has a way for a listing agent and homeowner, who submit the house information, to also include the surrounding area and zip codes? The intent being when a buyer searches by the name of a town only, any houses directly bordering that town but not in its zip code also appear in the resulting list.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 09:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Would these areas be the same school district? I know that many MLS searches allow this as the location criteria - quite honestly, for a huge portion of the buying public it’s the most important.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:28 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytohear View Post
Many online real estate sites are set up so that when a buyer enters the specific name of a town, the results are shown in a list with photos and/or on a map. I assume many sites are pulling the information directly from the original MLS listing which includes the name of the town and/or any zip codes assigned to it.

I realize the process may vary by region, and some sites do make it simple to include surrounding areas. However, does anyone know if in general the MLS system has a way for a listing agent and homeowner, who submit the house information, to also include the surrounding area and zip codes? The intent being when a buyer searches by the name of a town only, any houses directly bordering that town but not in its zip code also appear in the resulting list.

Thanks!
I can search my MLS in a bunch of different ways. Most of the time, I set up a map search and draw boundaries of where people want to look at homes.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Yes, same school district

Old 06-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Thank you. How do you handle it when listing a home?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you. How do you handle it when listing a home?
List the school district then. And be as precise as you can with the Individual schools it is zoned to.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:50 AM

In our particular case the school district has been included in the MLS so people who find the house do see that. The issue is the house being seen by those who don't realize the two towns are linked. In other words they have not entered the exact zip code or name because they may not know it.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
In our particular case the school district has been included in the MLS so people who find the house do see that. The issue is the house being seen by those who don't realize the two towns are linked. In other words they have not entered the exact zip code or name because they may not know it.
Unless they search by school district, which many people do.

If you’re not getting hits, it’s likely a pricing issue. If you’re getting hits but no further inquiry, it’s a condition issue.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 AM

So do I understand you to be saying that at least in the MLS system you are using in your area there is not a way to include zip codes or more than one town name when entering the data initially?

Having already received professional opinions in the area on price and condition, I can honestly say that is not an issue, and the reason I was specifically asking about how the MLS system works. I really do appreciate every response including yours, but I didn't want to get off track. It's just difficult to get a direct response from MLS customer service regarding the technical part of their system. While it may be a long shot, I thought there might be someone who is familiar with it on the forum - maybe even one of their IS people.

Thank you again.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Yeah. There’s no way to list multiple city/ZIP combinations.

What I’m saying, and realtors above have said, is that it’s a moot point. There are plenty of other search options that bring your property into the search view.

I’ve got a rental that is in a very similar situation, it’s the one corner of a city that zones to a fantastic MS/HS in a neighboring city.

Invariably, it is found by people searching that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate