Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Mike is looking it as if he has a horse in the race, He's biased as a RE agent.

When someone makes a ridiculous request you tell them know and are glad you found out what kind of disgusting shysters they were before things progressed and other problems came up.
actually, I think Mike and I assumed there was an agent involved representing twowilldo. Maybe we shouldn't have assumed that?

In theory, a Seller wants to sell their house, and a Buyer wants to buy a house. When a Seller or Buyer wants to "win" at all costs or "on principle" beyond that primary goal, then we know there are unhealthy egos involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Of course it has nothing to do with repairs or objections. You marketed it as a 3 BR home, they bought it as a 3BR home.

There's only 2 things that matter:

1. what's the net after their request worth to you?
2. Does the contract even "allow" them to make such a request?

If you're in a slower market, and don't think you can get a better net offer, then negotiate.

If you're in a stronger market, have only recently begun, and would expect an equal or better offer without this balderdash, then tell them No and see what they do.

There's some slight reason to be concerned when they bring this crap in "after the fact" - that is, they could have and SHOULD have negotiated this between offer and contract. This might be the first of several attempts to renegotiate the contract and, if so, each time you'll get to decide whether to eventually accept.
The net brings it back to our asking price, we shouldn't be complaining... really... we are not greedy people but then again we are not stupid either.

Yes the contract allows for negotiation based on post inspection findings. Our argument is that asking for something post inspection that doesn't even exist in the here and now.

This is rural property we have a well, septic, etc... OMG people are so freaked out about not having city services. We have to wonder, if we pass on this one then what will the next people ask for? Catch 22...

Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
OP is in my service area.

What else did they ask for? Is it reasonable to give in to a few other of their demands?

FYI, if you do not respond before the Resolution date, the deal terminates.
Yes you are 2b... but we are in northern unincorporated Jeffco.

They asked for the concession to replace the potential leach field and for a copy of the leach field testing report (which passed with flying colors and we will have a copy in hand by tomorrow morning.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:20 PM

having now read up the entire topic - what does your Realtor say to do?

Mike, me, and the other Realtors can't say much further; it's our responsibility to NOT insert ourselves between you and your Realtor. I suppose it's OK for me to point out to otherr posters what I said before - "this is another negotiation"

Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 PM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Why do the inspectors lie like this? Are they bribed by buyers who want to 'make a deal'? Or, when they get to scaring buyers, are they claiming problems so contractor friends they refer to will make some money on it?
This was the most extreme example of an incompetent inspector making bold claims with no idea what he was talking about, that I had encountered, in thirty years. That said, less obnoxious examples of these guys being a huge PITA and creating stress for a buyer, for no reason, have been quite common. As for flat out lying, there is little incentive for most. Sadly, there is a whole subgroup of these clowns that have sold their souls to realtors and are flat our prostitutes, who will help an agent "close the deal" unless the house is currently on fire. I had to do emergency repairs to a friend's daughter's new place. She bought a really old row home in extremely bad shape. It had major life safety issues, and was not safe to occupy. The realtor found an inspector to charge $325 to give this dump a clean bill of health, to be sure that the deal closed. The realtor was the victim's aunt.

A lot of inspector issues are based on the fact that it is a self-regulated industry, and a LOT of them started without a proper background, and no real clue. They then latch onto issues that are of no consequence, or are just not real, and congratulate themselves on their online forums about how tough they are, and what they uncovered. For example I had an issue with a private home inspector who did a final inspection on a new home I built. The customer told me that they would not be settling the final payment until I corrected two issues the inspector "caught". First they wanted me to caulk all the vinyl siding trims tight to the house, around windows, doors, etc... I then had to inform them that this actually is specifically stated as unacceptable by the product manufacturer., and WILL be nothing but a maintenance nightmare and a cause of potential structural rot behind the trims, so it wasn't happening. I then went to a home inspectors forum and found all kinds of self-congratulatory BS about how smart these chucklenuts were for "catching" uncaulked vinyl trim.....and flunking it. The other claim was that I built a room with no baseboard heat and it was unacceptable. The "room" was a 3'x7' powder room off the hallway in a center hall colonial. I then had to explain that it was a deliberate choice, as the small piece of baseboard heat would be located too close to the toilet and be a rusty mess in a decade. Since it was deliberate, the ENGINEER who designed the system took this into account and specifically omitted the heat in 21 sq. ft. interior space, and NO there was nothing to correct. So, once again, that couple wasted hundred of dollars for an inspector who could only find two imaginary problems.

Finally, I had a recent issue with an inspector flunking a water heater relief valve drain line for not being copper. The current code lists five or six materials acceptable for this application, basically anything approved for drinking water, including the CPVC I always use for this application. You can also buy a factory replacement pipe for this, made by the water heater manufacturers, and it is a very thin plastic, literally not much more substantial that a plastic straw. He warned my customer that I was placing them in grave danger of burns from an exploding drain pipe if the valve opens, and doesn't have a copper drain line. First these valves will open by "weeping" hot water, or steam, into an open drain pipe, it is not some sort of controlled explosion, but a slow, controlled release of excess pressure or hot water. They cannot cause any drain to "blow -up" since they cannot develop pressure downstream of the open valve. Second, there is no requirement that the pipe be copper or any other metal, since there is no life safety issue with any properly installed water piping, of any material. Since I was curious, I discussed the situation with a local plumber who does a lot of service calls. As soon as I started asking the question, he interrupted and said, "wait, is this coming from that A-hole "home inspector" from the next town over?". He then proceeds to tell me that he had five service calls in the last year that he refused to change over to copper, since he told the customer that their P&T valve drain line was totally correct, and code approved, and he didn't want to take their money because their home inspector was an idiot.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
actually, I think Mike and I assumed there was an agent involved representing twowilldo. Maybe we shouldn't have assumed that?

In theory, a Seller wants to sell their house, and a Buyer wants to buy a house. When a Seller or Buyer wants to "win" at all costs or "on principle" beyond that primary goal, then we know there are unhealthy egos involved.
Because you two are always on the side of the RE agent and whatever it takes to make a sale so you get your commission. I'm sure you both shed a tear when you read a sale has fallen thru for the poor RE agent involved. RE Agents always advocate home owners lose out on as much as they can get as long as the sale goes thru, that's the end goal as unreasonable as a request may be.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRmtpau8sOU

Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Because you two are always on the side of the RE agent and whatever it takes to make a sale so you get your commission. I'm sure you both shed a tear when you read a sale has fallen thru for the poor RE agent involved. RE Agents always advocate home owners lose out on as much as they can get as long as the sale goes thru, that's the end goal as unreasonable as a request may be.
because unlike several of your histrionic posts in this very thread, we always remember that the Seller's goal is the goal we try to help them reach.

you also need to decide whether we're for any deal that closes, no matter how much it costs the Seller, or always trying to jack the price up to make more commission. They're contradictory claims.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM

I would never glorify pre dementia

Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:

you also need to decide whether we're for any deal that closes, no matter how much it costs the Seller, or always trying to jack the price up to make more commission. They're contradictory claims.
Both, and whatever works best in your favor depending on the situation, but mostly just to close the deal because jacking up the price doesn't insure the sale or guarantee a quick sale and the slight benefits of a slightly higher commission don't make a huge difference. I'm not claiming you never have the clients best interests at heart but it's not your money and you are not running a charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate