Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 06:15 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Good ones! Hey, at least the buyers get cookies.
Oh man..I remember getting those back in the early 90’s when we were selling our house. I found some sort of lilac scent to put in them. Just Horrible. Gave me a terrible headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 06:21 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Unfortunately, I have three throws folded on strategic points on the back of my sectional sofa. Not for appearance, but for the two cats who love to sleep on those points. I went with the decorator suggestion of pale, tweedy fabric, dammit, and the hair is hard to vacuum off.

Last edited by mistyriver; 06-16-2018 at 07:50 AM..

Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Anyone else think it's hilarious that every staged house now seems to require an afghan artfully draped over a bed or sofa?

The first few times I saw it I thought it looked interesting. OK, actually I thought it looked messy and it's not a look I would ever do in my own house, but I just figured it was somebody's personal taste. These days, though, when every staged house has one it just screams "Hi! This house has been staged and we are obviously trying every trick to manipulate your emotions!"

The weirdest thing is, I'm not even sure what emotions they're trying to manipulate. What does the draped afghan convey? A feeling that you could picture yourself living there because the house is messy in just the same way you would be?

Same thing with the throw pillows all artfully chopped in the middle. Why did somebody start thinking this would sell a house, and... does it?
Must be where you are looking. I have not seen that in 20 years.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andherewego View Post
We have a throw at the end of the bed! I am always cold and my husband is always hot. Hence, we have a twin sized throw that covers just me at night and lives folded on the end of the bed during the day. It looks pretty too!
Yeah, why would the OP think these things are just for staging for sale? Some people like fussy details like that.

On the day I change my sheets, I make my bed up nice and fold my small blankie across the corner of the bed the way I like it. It doesn't stay that way, but it gives me pleasure to see it all looking just so.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:30 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
And of course, if you are looking to buy a house and focusing on nit-picky decorating details, you are not really interested in buying.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:31 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
And of course, if you are looking to buy a house and focusing on nit-picky decorating details, you are not really interested in buying.
I agree. Maybe you can’t put your finger on what it is about the house that’s wrong for you, but if you’re looking at details like that, obviously something is wrong.

I did that when we were looking. When I walked into the one we bought, I didn’t see the extremely ugly wallpapered, heavily smoked in bathroom, I saw the really cool 1950’s light fixture. I saw myself living there. I saw Home.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:53 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I would say "not doing it the right way." but wholeheartedly agree that worrying about the details like that is irrelevant.

But, many folks have gotten the chance to tell us about their blanket habits, and the OP has shared another tidbit about her house search.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:16 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
It’s all in the folding....i have a couple “TV blankets” that I fold up and lay across the top of the couch when not in use. When my housecleaners come every other week, they refold them and lay them diagonally so there’s a corner point hanging down.

I don’t get the throw at the end of the bed. Hotels do it for people who put their suitcases there or lay on the bed with their shoes on. Anybody who lays on any of my beds with shoes on is going to regret that day.

Too much HGTV, methinks.
The throw at the end of the bed works if you have all white bedding and want to add a spot of color. It can also be easily changed to change up the room without spending a lot of money on a new comforter/bedspread.

Hotels have done away with comforters/bedspreads in favor of duvets and duvet covers or just a lot of top sheets which can be changed out with each guest. The throw or runner then adds the finish look that a spread would give. Much more sanitary than the old bedspreads that remained on the beds for who knows how long.

I guess, across the couch, is suppose to give you that feeling of hominess. Personally, I can't fold the things right so if I have company I just grab them up and toss them in the closet.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:21 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I think people rely on first impressions and gut instincts a lot more than they want to say they do, so focusing on irrelevant details like paint colors or someone else's decor choices is a way to try to put words around the feelings they are relying on when making a decision on whether or not to purchase a house. I mean, for the majority of people, a house purchase is the biggest financial transaction they've ever been involved in, but we so often make the decision on "it felt like home as soon as I walked in" rather than some well reasoned check list of pros and cons.

And I'm not criticizing, I did exactly that when I saw the model home of my current house. I just started imagining life there with my son the second I walked in the door, and within 48 hours, I signed a contract despite having had no intention to purchase a home at that point in time (was thinking down the road a few months) and zero concept of buying new construction. No regrets by the way, and at least I was thinking a bit more about function than the builder's design center choices in the model home, although we did like one piece of decor so much that our lovely salesperson ended up giving it to use when they broke down the model home.

But the reality remains that many of us make choices involving hundreds of thousands of dollars on things a lot less tangible than an afghan on the foot of a bed.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
These "finishing touches" must help sell homes otherwise stagers wouldn't use them, but personally I can't imagine buying a house because of staging or the lack thereof. I guess I am too pragmatic and focused on things that might be actual issues with the house.

I have a cozy down plush throw that I use from about October through March. It has never been folded into a perfect triangle on the back of the sofa; as I write this it has been haphazardly thrown over the windsor chair in my entry. My house is a comfortable lived in home; if I ever start arranging my home like a showpiece I hope my friends will have me committed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate