Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times

Advertisements

Anyone else think it's hilarious that every staged house now seems to require an afghan artfully draped over a bed or sofa?

The first few times I saw it I thought it looked interesting. OK, actually I thought it looked messy and it's not a look I would ever do in my own house, but I just figured it was somebody's personal taste. These days, though, when every staged house has one it just screams "Hi! This house has been staged and we are obviously trying every trick to manipulate your emotions!"

The weirdest thing is, I'm not even sure what emotions they're trying to manipulate. What does the draped afghan convey? A feeling that you could picture yourself living there because the house is messy in just the same way you would be?

Same thing with the throw pillows all artfully chopped in the middle. Why did somebody start thinking this would sell a house, and... does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
It’s all in the folding....i have a couple “TV blankets” that I fold up and lay across the top of the couch when not in use. When my housecleaners come every other week, they refold them and lay them diagonally so there’s a corner point hanging down.

I don’t get the throw at the end of the bed. Hotels do it for people who put their suitcases there or lay on the bed with their shoes on. Anybody who lays on any of my beds with shoes on is going to regret that day.

Too much HGTV, methinks.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:58 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Old 06-13-2018, 03:05 PM

186 posts, read 173,764 times
We have a throw at the end of the bed! I am always cold and my husband is always hot. Hence, we have a twin sized throw that covers just me at night and lives folded on the end of the bed during the day. It looks pretty too!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Anyone else think it's hilarious that every staged house now seems to require an afghan artfully draped over a bed or sofa?

The first few times I saw it I thought it looked interesting. OK, actually I thought it looked messy and it's not a look I would ever do in my own house, but I just figured it was somebody's personal taste. These days, though, when every staged house has one it just screams "Hi! This house has been staged and we are obviously trying every trick to manipulate your emotions!"

The weirdest thing is, I'm not even sure what emotions they're trying to manipulate. What does the draped afghan convey? A feeling that you could picture yourself living there because the house is messy in just the same way you would be?

Same thing with the throw pillows all artfully chopped in the middle. Why did somebody start thinking this would sell a house, and... does it?
I laughed when I saw the thread title. I have an knitted afghan artfully draped over one corner of my sofa, but I'm not trying to sell my house.

It's just that, well, the cats so scratched the hell out of the couch over the years that there's a big hole with the stuffing coming out. Someone I don't know that well was stopping by, and I wanted to cover the hole.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I always like a blanket when I watch TV... so I like the blanket on the couch.

What's up with the karate-chopped pillows?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
In Ohio I always had an Afghan draped over the couch, snuggle it on cold nights . When we put the house on sale I saw no reason to hide it.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
It is certainly not a new thing. Maybe you just started noticing it. Other than covering up a tear or stain on the sofa, or being ready for a cold soul to keep warm while watching TV, I think people use it to provide a splash of color in the room. Or else Aunt Sally crocheted it as a gift, and since she might drop by at any time, it is always out in the open. I prefer a less fussy look, but only for my house.

As for karate chopped pillows, I actively dislike that affectation.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:00 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It is certainly not a new thing. Maybe you just started noticing it. Other than covering up a tear or stain on the sofa, or being ready for a cold soul to keep warm while watching TV, I think people use it to provide a splash of color in the room. Or else Aunt Sally crocheted it as a gift, and since she might drop by at any time, it is always out in the open. I prefer a less fussy look, but only for my house.

As for karate chopped pillows, I actively dislike that affectation.
No, it's not new, but we're not talking about the crocheted afghans of the olden days. OP is talking about the Crate & Barrel or Pier 1-type "fringed throws" that ARE obligatory in every staged setting. I myself thought it was a nice decorating idea when I saw it become popular say 5-6 years ago (looked homey and soft), so I have one draped over the arm of my loveseat....though I'm never really sure the correct way to drape it without it looking too "done" or too "messy".

Yes, I agree with everyone that the chopped pillows are ridiculous.

As for all the various layerings on the hotel beds, I don't quite get it, since most of them are all white. So I doubt they expect you to lay your suitcase or shoes on them.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Another "accessory" that has seen too much exposure are those giant wall clock faces, or lettering. Just what is it people expect from a 24 inch wall display of calligraphy anyway? A touch of sophistication? Proof the homeowner can read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate