Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 08:07 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times

Advertisements

There is a home in my town that has been listed several times over the past couple of years, by different agents, always for about the same asking price. The seller never reduces the price, then eventually takes it off the market.

Why would an agent agree to take the listing for a clearly unrealistic seller? I imagine there is of course some cost to the agent for listing the property on the MLS, and advertising. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Some owners have a really inflated opinion of what their place is worth... or they owe that much, and can't sell it for less.

It's a tough choice, for a Realtor.... We don't want to turn down a listing or an opportunity to have a sign in a yard... but we don't want to be known as "that realtor who overprices things" either.

There's one in this area, Little farm in the country, little old house, cute but quirky... I've shown it several times and even made one "lowball" offer on it that was ignored. Been on the market a year, in an area where horse properties are in great demand. The listing finally expired, and it showed right back up with another realtor... It's priced more than a hundred-thousand-dollars too high... $440K when it should be around $300K... Maybe a little more if a buyer were generous in this market. But not what they have it at. The current owner only bought it a couple years ago for $290... a year before it went on the market again... And no, they didn't completely rehab it... they put a nice back porch on it and a new wood stove. And nearly doubled the price when they first listed it. They've come down a little since, but they're not in reality yet.

Maybe there's a reason they actually want to hang on to it... while pretending to sell it. I dunno!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:56 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
There is a home in my town that has been listed several times over the past couple of years, by different agents, always for about the same asking price. The seller never reduces the price, then eventually takes it off the market.

Why would an agent agree to take the listing for a clearly unrealistic seller? I imagine there is of course some cost to the agent for listing the property on the MLS, and advertising. Just curious.
Agents will take it so they can leverage it for other business. Hold open houses to meet buyers, get calls off the listing to try and convert into clients, etc. So yes, they will spend some money marketing it, but if they can get other business off of it, then it pays for itself.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:45 AM

Ah. Both responses make sense. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2018, 11:51 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
there are a lot of people who own seasonal properties (think beach) who rent during the season and put their houses on the market in the fall and winter.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:11 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Because it just takes one moron to buy it. If you create a thread asking what is your best property sale, you will find posts from people who found their prized moron.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:52 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I think there are situations where there is a sentimental attachment to a property but the person knows they probably should sell.

Let's say a windowed empty nester...the house is way more than she needs and probably more than she can manage or even really afford. She knows she SHOULD sell the house, but she has a sentimental attachment to it. So, she's not willing to "give it away," so to speak. If someone will pay big bucks for it, well, that would sway her to sell. But until that happens...

I know someone kinda like that.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:27 PM

3,058 posts, read 2,035,841 times
I've known 2 people who died owning unsold property rather than selling it for actual value. Their unrealistic inflated ideas would not allow the sale. Same reason people hold onto their loser stocks and sell their winners, the opposite of logic and best practices in investment.

I am absolutely unsentimental about price to sell real estate. Yes I want top dollar but that is market driven, not by my hopes and dreams. Much more private to sell a stock, way more public to sell your home and your neighbors will tut-tut because they want their own property boat to be lifted by your tide. Smile and blow them a kiss goodbye lol.

And some people like the "action" and attention that a property listed brings to them. Me, it would make me crazy to have my home always neat and clean and never able to relax. Once we lived in a family rental property and it was a summer rental for big money (we lived elsewhere in summer). Realtor (and acquaintance) knocked on our door Sunday morning 9 am to show renters, just because he was driving people around the neighborhood. They weren't even in that price range. I glared at him the whole 10 minutes while in my bathrobe. And later made a complaining call to the real estate company.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:02 PM

[quote=twinkletwinkle22;52223642} Realtor (and acquaintance) knocked on our door Sunday morning 9 am to show renters, just because he was driving people around the neighborhood. They weren't even in that price range. I glared at him the whole 10 minutes while in my bathrobe. And later made a complaining call to the real estate company.[/QUOTE]

Yikes -- I don't think I would have let them in!

Here's the listing I'm talking about. Pretty views, but just ok, with some updating to do. In my town you can definitely find nicer for that price. If it was near the ocean I could see that price, for sure, but it's on the other side of town.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M38905-66214

Old 06-17-2018, 04:31 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
One thing I don't like about the real estate sales business is that everyone and his brother tries to create stories to explain things like this. Why does the house stay at the same "inflated" price over a long time?

Could be the owners temporarily lose interest in selling every summer when the grandkids come to visit, so they pull it. Or husband or wife has other kids that spend a lot of time there while on a sports team. Or one of the household has an illness that requires periodic treatment. Or one of the household takes a college course every spring. Or, or, or. There can be tons of reasons.

Meanwhile if the area is nice and home prices are increasing, the house becomes more valued every year. A house is worth what someone is willing to pay. You might not have the money they want, but one day someone may come along and be willing to go for it, especially when inventory is low. So the sellers are patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate