Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:34 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times

Advertisements

Is the Realtor a member of the local MLS (Multiple Listing Service)?
If so, any other member of the Service could show the property, and accept an offer on it.
The fact that the listing agent went on vacation (or whatever) does not stop the sales process. Any agent or broker in that office can present an offer to the seller(s).
Until you present an offer in writing, with Earnest Money, the property can be shown by any agent or broker from any MLS office. When such an offer is received, the property is noted in the MLS as "Pending". If the offer is accepted by the seller(s), the property can be shown as "Sold". If the prospective buyer can not close the sale, the property will return to "Active" status.
IMO, the listing agent lied to you when he said he would see to it that no other offers would be made or accepted until you had a chance to look at the property. He also lied by omission when he didn't refer you to another agent in his office to show you the property.

I think you need to find your own Realtor to act in YOUR best interest as a Buyer's Agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 06:57 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Listing agent. He's not your agent, so under no obligation to show you house. Get your own agent who works for you.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil88lim View Post
I have a feeling that he may have used my interest in the house to prompt another interested buyer to jump on an offer.

As far as getting a buyers agent, this property is about 1K miles away, and this was the first property I found that I was interested in. This guy was going to be our buyers agent if this property wasn't what I wanted. We had several other homes scheduled to look at with him.
No - he would have been in a dual agency situation, and not YOUR agent.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:40 AM

81 posts, read 214,812 times
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I certainly will take all into consideration and be wiser the next time.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:01 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
He’s not “your†agent. He’s the selling party’s agent.

You need to get your own buyer’s agent to help you with this process.
This. If you'd had your own Realtor, you still could have seen the house and put in an offer.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Is the Realtor a member of the local MLS (Multiple Listing Service)?
If so, any other member of the Service could show the property, and accept an offer on it.
The fact that the listing agent went on vacation (or whatever) does not stop the sales process. Any agent or broker in that office can present an offer to the seller(s).
Until you present an offer in writing, with Earnest Money, the property can be shown by any agent or broker from any MLS office. When such an offer is received, the property is noted in the MLS as "Pending". If the offer is accepted by the seller(s), the property can be shown as "Sold". If the prospective buyer can not close the sale, the property will return to "Active" status.
IMO, the listing agent lied to you when he said he would see to it that no other offers would be made or accepted until you had a chance to look at the property. He also lied by omission when he didn't refer you to another agent in his office to show you the property.

I think you need to find your own Realtor to act in YOUR best interest as a Buyer's Agent.

FWIW... many of your details are inaccurate, but your bottom line is a good one.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:25 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
He isn't, nor was he ever, your agent. Next time someone asks why they should hire a buyer agent or complains about buyer agents existing I'm just going to link this thread.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 AM

81 posts, read 214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
He isn't, nor was he ever, your agent. Next time someone asks why they should hire a buyer agent or complains about buyer agents existing I'm just going to link this thread.

In my OP, I fully acknowledged that he had no obligation to me. My confusion lay with him promising to hold/contact me if an offer was made before I could get there, to give me the option of giving a higher offer for the house, and then not doing so. Seller could have potentially gotten a better offer from me.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:48 AM

569 posts, read 440,097 times
I am not an agent but, if I understand the process, a seller's agent has an obligation to pass forth any offers they receive in a timely manner to the seller. At that point, the seller gets to decide if that is the offer they want to accept or if they prefer to wait for others to come in. That agent could have mentioned your interest to the seller but they were in a hurry to lock something down.

As others have mentioned, having your own agent is the best way to have someone looking out for your best interest.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:53 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I am not an agent but, if I understand the process, a seller's agent has an obligation to pass forth any offers they receive in a timely manner to the seller. At that point, the seller gets to decide if that is the offer they want to accept or if they prefer to wait for others to come in. That agent could have mentioned your interest to the seller but they were in a hurry to lock something down.

As others have mentioned, having your own agent is the best way to have someone looking out for your best interest.
Varies by state to some extent, but this is basically the gist of it. Now, a tire-kicker from 1,000 miles away would not meet any real definition of an interested party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate