Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
At the other end of things... where children aren't the center of the universe...
how about waiting until you're under contract for a SPECIFIC house before bringing your kids at all?
There are parents-- I know a few-- who believe that since their kids will be living there that the should have some say in the choosing so the under contract first thing would not work with those people.

On another note, I understand the OP's frustration with some of the replies she has gotten but I don't think you can disinvite people from posting replies in a thread posted to elicit comments. I think there is an ignore function here-- I've never used it and don't know how-- but I think the OP should use that rather than trying to tell people that they are not permitted to post here.

Personally, I would be a wreck if I brought young kids to a showing and saw what looked to be valuable art pieces because I'd worry that the kids would damage or try to touch them in some way. That kind of worry and focus on making sure they were not touching anything would really hinder my ability to really see the house. I'd do whatever I could to find a babysitter, but I realize too that that is not feasible for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 AM

41 posts, read 38,976 times
I asked a certain poster to desist with her extreme sarcasm and snark toward me, cleasach. I didn't disinvite her or tell her she wasn't permitted to post. There is a clear difference. Many other posters, including you, have made constructive, viable comments, which I appreciate. Surely the intent here is to help, not hinder? Many thanks to those of you who have done so.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:56 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post
Schnooky, I politely asked you to desist. Please do so. You are a becoming a pest now.
Then feel free to ignore my posts, but I have addressed the topic at hand in each post on the subject and, quite frankly, you don’t control who answers on a public forum.

I gave you multiple suggestions, and a much needed reality check you’re choosing to ignore. That’s on you. There ARE solutions available on this subject, not the least of which is putting into perspective what you’re trying to do (sell a house) and balance that with the property damage risk as much as you can.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
At the other end of things... where children aren't the center of the universe...
how about waiting until you're under contract for a SPECIFIC house before bringing your kids at all?
That’s simply not an option for a lot of families. If you’re away from any support system in a new town, trying to find a home, you can’t leave your young children at home while you property shop. And getting under contract with a property you haven’t even walked through it sheer idiocy.

It’s not the children are on some pedestal, it’s literally not doable. I speak as someone who was just in this position, and believe you me I’d rather have walked through everything without my kids along. But when you have no friends, no family, and no connections because you’re clear across the country in a new state? Your five year old comes along.

And believe it or not, they can do it without ruining a house. We haven’t EVER damaged or disturbed a property we walked through, and there are eight of us. It is doable, and I think parents and realtors do have a responsibility to respect the properties they walk through, but a seller who is this insanely concerned needs to do what they can on their end too. Putting away the things not in daily use goes a long way.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Once again, you misread my words, Schnooky. I politely asked you to curb the snark. I didn't say I'd control who answers on a public forum. There is a big difference in meaning.

Yes, you've given multiple suggestions, with a huge helping of sarcasm and hyperbole each time. Other posters have already given me those same suggestions and solutions, in a civil manner. Guess whose suggestions I'm receptive to?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 AM

193 posts, read 147,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
That’s simply not an option for a lot of families. If you’re away from any support system in a new town, trying to find a home, you can’t leave your young children at home while you property shop. And getting under contract with a property you haven’t even walked through it sheer idiocy.

It’s not the children are on some pedestal, it’s literally not doable. I speak as someone who was just in this position, and believe you me I’d rather have walked through everything without my kids along. But when you have no friends, no family, and no connections because you’re clear across the country in a new state? Your five year old comes along.

And believe it or not, they can do it without ruining a house. We haven’t EVER damaged or disturbed a property we walked through, and there are eight of us. It is doable, and I think parents and realtors do have a responsibility to respect the properties they walk through, but a seller who is this insanely concerned needs to do what they can on their end too. Putting away the things not in daily use goes a long way.
And if OP's realtor is any help whatsoever, she will try to help out the families who can't leave kids at home in order to get her house sold.

We have friends with a dog who can't be left alone at home while there are strangers in the house-- its an elderly pup who startles easily because she is going blind and will nip (and if crated, people will still stick their hands in and try to pet her...too much risk for them to leave her). Their only time to go to showings was when their OWN house was open and they had the dog with them. One would sit in the car with the dog while the other toured and vice versa. It was exhausting for them.

They finally started touring model homes in new communities because they couldn't find what they wanted and the models were open more regular hours. One agent saw the turn taking with the dog and asked if they wanted to bring her into the house. The bought in THAT community because the agent was so accommodating and they could relax and take their time.

I am not saying that children are dogs but simply this: if you have some kind of constraint that keeps you from fully viewing a house, a good agent will recognize that and do what it takes to remove that constraint. If that means coloring with a four year old at the kitchen table while mom and dad view, that might be what it takes.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Oh I totally agree - our agent was phenomenal at helping with the kids, and they’re well behaved in other people’s houses. Pretty much all the buyers agents I have seen and worked with were great on that count. There are multiple failures going on if someone is defecting on a couch, but it’s far from the norm. Even getting stuck somewhere I’ve never seen. I don’t doubt it might happen on occasion, but not to the point where barring families from showings makes sense (and the legal implications of that are no doubt messy, too).

OP - Good luck selling, I hope you and your husband can cut the anxiety over potential problems with the showings enough to get it sold with no additional sturm und drang.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post
Once again, you misread my words, Schnooky. I politely asked you to curb the snark. I didn't say I'd control who answers on a public forum. There is a big difference in meaning.

Yes, you've given multiple suggestions, with a huge helping of sarcasm and hyperbole each time. Other posters have already given me those same suggestions and solutions, in a civil manner. Guess whose suggestions I'm receptive to?
You could just do what 90% of posters do and ignore the posts that bug you. You don't have to participate in every argument you're invited to.

Need a little more "namaste" in your life?

Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM

You are right, Birdie. I initially didn't realize I was being baited, or "invited to," as you put it. Live and learn. I've been on CD forums, infrequently, only a few weeks and didn't know this kind of thing happened. Some people just can't help themselves, I guess.

I've got a fresh pot of Oolong tea brewed and my roses are blooming, so my namaste is steadily rising!

Old 06-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You could just do what 90% of posters do and ignore the posts that bug you. You don't have to participate in every argument you're invited to.

Need a little more "namaste" in your life?
Couldn’t rep you again, but consider yourself agreed with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate