Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post

Any advice for my question specifically about small children in our home (above) would be appreciated.
WOW! OP you've taken a bit of a beating here. "pack your junk (junque) away", "insanely concerned", "your classy mess". Way over the top, insulting and surprisingly some of it from agents.

I went to open houses in our neighbourhood for a year prior to putting ours on the market. I was, frankly, horrified at the behaviour of some of the kids and their parents in these open houses. Maybe it's just our area, we lived in a fairly affluent NYC suburb.

I decided that open houses were not ideal, at first. After speaking with the realtor we chose, we decided to try one Open House. Our agent had one of her associates with her, they kept the door locked between small groups of shoppers.

She said they had well over 100 people come through the house that PM and our neighbours confirmed that the cars were parked on both sides of the street, 2 blocks down. The shoppers started gathering at our front door at noon for a 1 PM open.
At the end of the open, our agent wiped down all the door knobs and flat surfaces (little hand prints during flu season). I thought that was above the call of duty but .
At the end of the day we had 4 offers and we never had to show the house again. We never had to turn our home over to some unknown agent and hope that they respected our home as much as our agent did.

I completely understand your concerns and hope that you find the best scenario to sell your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 01:18 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
And if OP's realtor is any help whatsoever, she will try to help out the families who can't leave kids at home in order to get her house sold.

We have friends with a dog who can't be left alone at home while there are strangers in the house-- its an elderly pup who startles easily because she is going blind and will nip (and if crated, people will still stick their hands in and try to pet her...too much risk for them to leave her). Their only time to go to showings was when their OWN house was open and they had the dog with them. One would sit in the car with the dog while the other toured and vice versa. It was exhausting for them.

They finally started touring model homes in new communities because they couldn't find what they wanted and the models were open more regular hours. One agent saw the turn taking with the dog and asked if they wanted to bring her into the house. The bought in THAT community because the agent was so accommodating and they could relax and take their time.

I am not saying that children are dogs but simply this: if you have some kind of constraint that keeps you from fully viewing a house, a good agent will recognize that and do what it takes to remove that constraint. If that means coloring with a four year old at the kitchen table while mom and dad view, that might be what it takes.
It’s not the OP’s realtor’s responsibility to do that. Certainly a dog is something very different from a kid, and I can’t see any agent saying “sure I’ll babysit” while the parents go see a home. At any rate, it’s up to the buyer’s agent to work with the family to hopefully try to arrange times that are better for the family. I know when my sister and her husband have gone to see homes, they typically try to see them without the kid because he’s pretty active. They’ll either go one at a time or they’ll go during a lunch break at work or after work while the kid is still at daycare.

It is just beyond to ask the agent to babysit a kid... and I can’t imagine any agent would agree to do it, particularly the SELLER’s agent who has never met the buyer and has no clue about the kid.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Prospective buyers have no reason to bring their children into an adult situation. The agent can ask for adults only.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
OP here is what I would do. I would put the onus on the buyer agent.

So if I was your agent here is what I would do.

1) All agents have to call me to make an appointment. During that phone call, I would explain that you have had damage to your personal items in the past including special gifts left on your furniture. I'd be really nice and diplomatic about it. I think agents will understand.
2) As such, the buyer agent needs to sign a form stating that they will supervise their clients and any children that they bring.
3) The buyer agent also agrees to replace/repair any items that were damaged during a showing.

You don't need to restrict children. The buyer agents will strongly encourage their buyers to not bring children, or require that they hold their hands while touring the home.

To all the people saying restrict kids, that isn't realistic. People relocating generally don't know anyone in the area. They have to bring their kids. In 15 years, I've only had to grab someone's child twice. 99% of parents do exactly what they should be doing. It's that last percent that cause issues for home sellers.

Also just because you are selling your home doesn't mean you need to put up with rude and inconsiderate behavior.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:43 PM

1,078 posts, read 936,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

1) All agents have to call me to make an appointment. During that phone call, I would explain that you have had damage to your personal items in the past including special gifts left on your furniture. I'd be really nice and diplomatic about it. I think agents will understand.
2) As such, the buyer agent needs to sign a form stating that they will supervise their clients and any children that they bring.
3) The buyer agent also agrees to replace/repair any items that were damaged during a showing.

You don't need to restrict children. The buyer agents will strongly encourage their buyers to not bring children, or require that they hold their hands while touring the home.

To all the people saying restrict kids, that isn't realistic. People relocating generally don't know anyone in the area. They have to bring their kids. In 15 years, I've only had to grab someone's child twice. 99% of parents do exactly what they should be doing. It's that last percent that cause issues for home sellers.

Also just because you are selling your home doesn't mean you need to put up with rude and inconsiderate behavior.
Oooh, the signed form is a fantastic idea. I like that better than the sign.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:26 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It is not “your home”.
It is real estate you want to sell.
Best answer yet. My late husband had an expensive sports memorabilia collection. We stored it. I'm not sure why you feel the house would show poorly without the art but as a buyer if i had small kids and they could not come with me to see where they would potentially be living that would be one less property I'd be interested in.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:39 PM

193 posts, read 147,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Best answer yet. My late husband had an expensive sports memorabilia collection. We stored it. I'm not sure why you feel the house would show poorly without the art but as a buyer if i had small kids and they could not come with me to see where they would potentially be living that would be one less property I'd be interested in.
I think this is valid. We all have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to our home and its decor.

I have a very expensive antique oriental rug that I absolutely adore. When we got our last home ready for sale, I was told to store it because it "was very heavy and made the room look cluttered" and "people want to see the condition of the hardwood floor." It was a kick to the teeth because I LOVE that rug and can't imagine that anyone else wouldn't either. But I did as instructed because I was trying to sell the house and not the rug.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:33 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

Would buyers agents really take on all of that liability with a form? Seems like they would just tell the listing agent to be there

Old 06-25-2018, 03:53 PM

718 posts, read 598,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post
You are right, Birdie. I initially didn't realize I was being baited, or "invited to," as you put it. Live and learn. I've been on CD forums, infrequently, only a few weeks and didn't know this kind of thing happened. Some people just can't help themselves, I guess.
Welcome to City-Drama!

Take what advice is in your best interests, the rest.... meh

Old 06-25-2018, 05:53 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Would buyers agents really take on all of that liability with a form? Seems like they would just tell the listing agent to be there
No. Buyer agents don't like listing agents at showings because they can't comfortably talk about the house. No buyer agent wants the listing agent following them through every room to watch the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate