Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

My prime driver was proximity to my grandkids. Next was price, then structural integrity. Can't have everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need
if you need an architectural style, go find that style. You don't need location.

if you find that location is what you need, it won't take long to not care much about the style.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:50 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I grew up in the 80s and 90s, living in cheap garbage built in the 60s and 70s, in a "good" location. So, the quality and style of my house became more important than location to me.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I grew up in the 80s and 90s, living in cheap garbage built in the 60s and 70s, in a "good" location. So, the quality and style of my house became more important than location to me.
There is SO much garbage being built even today. Its frightening. I have seen some very pricey properties that are downright ramshackle when it comes to their build quality. But people still buy them.

Part of it for me is the details-- built ins, old growth hardwood, balustrades, plaster ceiling medallions, pocket doors, etc. I bought my current house because of a staircase and a fire place mantle.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:50 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
ONE of the reasons we have basically given up our search for a retirement home in New Hampshire is the lack of single story open concept homes -- and the lack of paved streets except on main thoroughfares and the lack of municipal utilities except in fairly large towns. (This is for the most part; I do realize that there are exceptions, but not that we have found in our price range, which is less than $400k.)

With us, it is house set-up, view, and paved roads first, with everything else being secondary.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I wouldn't buy a house I considered unattractive but I'm not so committed to a particular style that I couldn't find options in the location that I wanted. But I do prioritize location and wouldn't take on a long commute or not be in what I consider reasonable proximity to shopping, medical facilities, the activities I enjoy doing, etc. just to get a particular house.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
ONE of the reasons we have basically given up our search for a retirement home in New Hampshire is the lack of single story open concept homes -- and the lack of paved streets except on main thoroughfares and the lack of municipal utilities except in fairly large towns. (This is for the most part; I do realize that there are exceptions, but not that we have found in our price range, which is less than $400k.)

With us, it is house set-up, view, and paved roads first, with everything else being secondary.
That's so funny -- what you described you are looking for was what I BOUGHT for my first house back in 2003 in Keene, New Hampshire. Single story, open living/dining/kitchen (which I actually ended up loving), 1520 square feet, 3 good-sized bedrooms, 2 full baths. Your typical ranch house, basically. I bought it partly because it did NOT have baseboard heating, which most New Hampshire houses DO have and which I LOATHE. (I am definitely in the minority on that, BTW.) City water & sewer too.

Ironically, what I REALLY wanted at the time was a Colonial or Farmhouse-style house, both of which are plentiful in New Hampshire. I still own that house from 2003 (it's now a rental), but my current house is a Colonial style that will basically look like a farmhouse with the addition of a big front porch (that's supposed to happen this summer, although I have a sneaking suspicion it will be postponed). It will fit beautifully in my neighborhood, where the houses are all wonderful but all DIFFERENT. No one style prevails at all.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Options: 1. Find a house that is in the way, move it to your preferred location. It does not cost that much.
2. Have a house built in your preferred style. I have seen some really accurate/nice reproductions. It is not cheap, so just make the house a bit smaller. There will be some necessary compromises such as porch railing height and spindle spacing, but you can get a decent reproduction if you find the right designer (if they say the words "vinyl" and "windows" in the same sentence, they are not the right designer).

Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Options: 1. Find a house that is in the way, move it to your preferred location. It does not cost that much.
It's the land in a good location that costs that much, plus the repairs after the house move. I've known people who have lost a million dollars on a house move.

Quote:
2. Have a house built in your preferred style. I have seen some really accurate/nice reproductions. It is not cheap, so just make the house a bit smaller. There will be some necessary compromises such as porch railing height and spindle spacing, but you can get a decent reproduction if you find the right designer (if they say the words "vinyl" and "windows" in the same sentence, they are not the right designer).
This!

Or else buy a house in a good location that has *some* of the attributes you desire and modify it over time, *as you get the money*, to suit your long-term needs. That is what we did (Victorian farmhouse, streetcar suburb, too small, 2-story addition when we were in our fifties).

Old 07-09-2018, 02:38 PM

779 posts, read 876,966 times
sometimes I wonder if where you live determines what kind of style you like. I grew up in the midwest near a lot of ranch style homes, so to me a ranch style home felt homey. Then I moved to DC where my favorite neighborhoods were historic colonial homes, so then THAT became my favorite style (I still love colonials). Fast forward several years and we moved to new england where I ended up being most attracted to antique center-chimney capes, which are pretty ubiquitous here. I love nantucket-style homes as well. Anything with cedar shingles and dormers feels super homey to me now.

Very rarely I'll see a spanish-style home around here and I love the character of them. I have a feeling if I lived on the west coast, I'd be most attracted to those (since cedar-shingled 18th center-chimney capes probably aren't a "thing" there).

Honestly, I love all kinds of of houses so long as the house has history and character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate