Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 505 times

Advertisements

Looked at a house, interested in buying it, it needs work. It's a Fannie Mae homepath property. Won't qualify for FHA. Not sure if it will qualify for conventional either.

I can afford to put 20% down on this house and really wanted to avoid a rehab loan because of all of the fees and stipulations.

The house has two significant issues:

1: The Roof:
I can't see the roof but I'm guessing it needs a new one.

2: Septic:
The realtor I'm working with sent me a report from a previous septic inspection that said it shows signs of malfunctioning and possibly a leaking tank. They recommended soil testing to determine repair area. House was built in 1969 and the report says it appears to be the original system.

Other than that the house appears to be in good condition. Someone ripped out a wall in the kitchen and the drywall is missing where that stud wall was. And one of the rooms is missing some flooring. It might need some electrical work but I know an electrician.

Do you know of any options that would allow me to borrow for the roof and septic repairs and then pay for any other fixes needed myself?

Why bother making this a homepath property if it won't qualify for financing? Wish I had enough to just pay cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 AM

116 posts, read 143,900 times
There are conventional renovation loans, as well as FHA 203K - those will give you funds for purchase and rehab and then roll it all into one. If you are approved for FHA, your lender should fairly easily be able to move you into a 203K.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:36 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Rehab loans - FHA 203K - is how you do it on bank owned properties.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles24 View Post
Looked at a house, interested in buying it, it needs work. It's a Fannie Mae homepath property. Won't qualify for FHA. Not sure if it will qualify for conventional either.

I can afford to put 20% down on this house and really wanted to avoid a rehab loan because of all of the fees and stipulations.

The realtor I'm working with sent me a report from a previous septic inspection that said it shows signs of malfunctioning and possibly a leaking tank. They recommended soil testing to determine repair area. House was built in 1969 and the report says it appears to be the original system.

Other than that the house appears to be in good condition. Someone ripped out a wall in the kitchen and the drywall is missing where that stud wall was. And one of the rooms is missing some flooring. It might need some electrical work but I know an electrician.

Do you know of any options that would allow me to borrow for the roof and septic repairs and then pay for any other fixes needed myself?

Why bother making this a homepath property if it won't qualify for financing? Wish I had enough to just pay cash.
Homepath properties typically qualify for the Fannie Mae loan. I know several people who have gotten that loan (I have also gotten it). There used to be a special Fannie Mae rehab loan that didn’t have as many fees/stipulations as other loans. I am not sure if it is still available since everyone I know who got the FM loan got it around 5 years ago.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles24 View Post

Best way is to get a portfolio loan at your local community bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate