Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:55 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

Sounds like nonsense to me.

They SAY the new induction electric stoves are good. I don't think I believe them.

"
You should. I was a gas stove lover and my induction (had it for about a year now) is superior to gas. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 10:19 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
OK...now all you need to do is inform us as to what kind of stove you have.
See post #28.

Induction cooktop. convection ovens

Old 07-21-2018, 10:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You should. I was a gas stove lover and my induction (had it for about a year now) is superior to gas. I love it!
Induction is incredible. Most people who haven’t tried it don’t realize how it is not at all like regular electric.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
+1 --> induction

Old 07-21-2018, 03:17 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> ....

There's a reason for the expression "now you're cooking with gas."

Yes it began when the alternative was wood or coal. Have you ever cooked on a coal stove? There isn't such a thing as turning the oven up or down a few degrees. Cooking with coal or wood is a real art!

Old 07-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I've got propane cooking, fireplace, and hot water now, but I'm looking at a house tomorrow that has natural gas cooking and hot water. I'm so excited! The great thing about having natural gas available is that if I buy the house and ever decide to add a whole house generator to it like I did to my current house, I won't have to worry about running out of fuel like I do with the current propane setup. With natural gas available there's an unlimited fuel supply, which is fantastic.

Ask the folks who used natural gas during a winter with a region wide long cold spell. Natural gas was in short supply after a week or so. They could not pump it into the region with enough pressure to keep everyone supplied. People found out the priority for gas supplies was Public service buildings, power plants (Many use NG for their surge power generators) and certain Industrial customers (some processes once interrupted can take weeks or months to restart)

Also there are some emergencies where a natural gas fueled generator will be great. But anything that washes out roads, etc can also take out gas lines. If it can take out underground electrical lines the gas lines are just as vulnerable.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:42 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
My family had a gas stove/oven, so that's what I cooked on for my first 26 years. Then got married, and we had electric for the next ~20 years. When that stove died, we went back to gas. I definitely prefer the gas range--it's so easy to raise and lower the flame, you can see just where it's at, it shuts off immediately--and am bemused by all the nervous Nellies who won't set foot into a house with a gas line.

That said, one thing that the electric stove cooked better than the gas stove is rice. By the way, my experience with an electric rice cooker was also underwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There are probably more house fires caused by electrical malfunctions than houses exploding due to faulty gas lines/appliances.
I hear regularly of house fires caused by faulty wiring. Never heard of a gas explosion in a house in my area, as far as I can recall.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:16 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We've had propane for over 20 years now, natural gas before that. We are on a "keep full" plan where the propane truck comes by periodically (monthly in winter, less often in summer) and makes sure we don't run out. There is nothing about it that is "a pain" when you're talking about it for a normal gas range (most of which come with adapters to be set up for either natural gas or propane). What ARE you talking about?

As a former personal chef, and cooking for my own family for 30 years before that, if I couldn't have a gas stove, that would be a deal breaker for me in a home purchase.
Yup, we recently moved out of a rental house with electric range. Previously our own home had a gas (propane) range/oven, and the house we just got built does, also.

I knew I disliked electrics based on having used the old-fashoned coil burners before, but I did not realize that the rental’s on-and-off glasstop range was far worse. It was impossible to cook rice well on it (I do fine with gas burners and an ordinary cookpot, nothing fancy). Even pasta required a ridiculous amount of fussing and experimenting. First time I used our new propane range...AH, so easy to cook things right. Fried eggs are a breeze, unlike the glasstopped monster.

I have never found gas ranges higher maintenance than electrics. More cleaning up, maybe, because I actually like to cook with the gas range!

The propane companies have reliably topped up our tanks, so keeping the fuel going is easy also. We had the choice of either buying our own tank or leasing one. I wanted to buy so I could paint it but my DH preferred leasing because this company offers a good rate to seniors,

Last edited by pikabike; 07-21-2018 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I am afraid of gas stoves and I keep seeing on the news where a house just explodes because of a ruptured gas line or issue with a propane tank. I'll continue using my electric range.
I hope you do not drive a gas-engine car!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I hope you do not drive a gas-engine car!

Gasoline and 'Gas' (LPG) are two completely different fuels.Gasoline is a liquid with some vapors that have to be controlled. Gas is a vapor under normal pressure and stored in a pressurized container to hold a sufficent amount to be useful. Being under pressure makes it very unforgiving when the container has leaks or is mishandled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate