Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:54 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy_milford View Post
now the question is:
Is it a good time to sell and rent closer to work?
Is it better to rent it out, wait for house prices to increase and sell later?
stay put, build equity and decide later? (not an option as commute is bad for wife)
The topic is a question: Sell or Stay? yet you say in your very first post that staying is not an option because of the commute.

Quote:
thank you for bringing up a very good point that we missed. I agree it's tough to move with a child leaving all his friends behind.
Maybe I'm weird but I don't see this as an issue for a long time. Even so, the family has to do what is best for the family's well being and that concept should be a part of a child's upbringing.

Quote:

I know that I also paid ~$2k mortgage every month but I would be paying that as rent too all these years if I didnt buy a house. Is my math wrong?
Your math is very wrong, IMO.

Quote:
public transportation would be better but it would add 20 more minutes to the commute each way. but i agree that she can relax in the train. She can not work during commute though.
Is that really a problem? I've worked in IT for years and years under incredible pressure and never used "Can I work on the train?" as a criteria for choosing a job. I think that's a bit much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
You math is wrong from the standpoint that you're looking at the loan amount. You should be looking at the amount you paid for the house, $240,000, to determine the loss. My opinion, but I always look at the big picture.

I did the math quickly before.

$240,000 + 37,000 + 15,000 =292,000 (the cost of the house and selling expenses)

292000-275000(sales price)=$17,000 loss. That's far less than I originally ball parked. You have to ask yourself, were the years you spent in the house worth losing 17K. In your situation I'd probably think of it as extra "rent" for those years.
The above is the correct math, but wouldn't loss be a bit larger since the seller would be paying commission to the real estate agent and have to pay for a lawyer, title search, fix any issues the potential buyer requests, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 11:33 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
I will try to keep it short in the first post, feel free to ask questions:

We bought a house in 2014 for $240k. The commute was 40 min in the morning and 1 hour in the evening at that time. The wife and I work in the same town, so we used to commute together.

Fast forward 4 years, We have a 18 month toddler now and I am working from home full time for the past year and will continue to do so. The commute went up to 2.5 hrs total for the wife due to increase in traffic. The house prices went up too in our area. Should we sell and move closer to work? or stay put and sell it a year later?

Here is the break down of numbers:

sale price in 2014 240000
loan amount 235000 (30 yr @ 3.75%)
closing costs 16000 ($5k downpayment + escrow + fees)
appliances 3000 (we had to buy new ones as old ones were crap)
open concept 7000
kitchen+Bath update 4000
refinance cost(2015) 2000 (15 year @ 3.25%)
resale repairs 3000
Wall AC Unit 2000

current loan amount 200000
mortgage + Interest + taxes + ins = $2150

The comps are around $280k for a 3 bed home. Ours is 4 bed 2 bath cape, note that the kitchen and main bath are updated. We are planning to sell it for $275k and move closer to work (<15 min to work).

We can't afford a house closer to work, HCOL area with bad schools. We looked at an updated, decent 2 bed 2 bath apartment which is 10 min away from work. The rent + parking + utilities would be $2400.

now the question is:
Is it a good time to sell and rent closer to work?
Is it better to rent it out, wait for house prices to increase and sell later?
stay put, build equity and decide later? (not an option as commute is bad for wife)

again, feel free to ask any questions if i missed any details
Forget the sale price and the loan amount. Here are the figures that will help you figure this out.

$21,000 - ($3K appliances, $7K open concept, $4k kitchen.bath update, $2K refinance, $5 repairs/AC) Divided by 48 months (comes to to $438/month.

$2150 - (Mortgage, taxes, insurance) + $438 = $2,588/month.

$2,588/month is what it cost you to live in this house.

$16,000 - ($5k downpayment + escrow + fees) If you guys had invested the $16K at 5%, you would have just under $20K at this point.

So, if you can walk away with anything over $20K (taking into account taxes, closing costs, everything), you are coming out ahead.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:35 AM

But forget the dollars and dimes, here's the real deal:

"If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:26 PM

89 posts, read 74,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

So true!!

Old 07-31-2018, 06:28 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and for taking time to respond.

We've decided to sell the house and rent for a while close to work until our son is ready for school.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:

This is not true in all households. Thank God it was never so in mine.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
This is not true in all households. Thank God it was never so in mine.
So in your household, if Mama ain't happy who cares, the rest of you are still happy as clams?

Sounds like the OP has a different dynamic going on his family.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and for taking time to respond.

We've decided to sell the house and rent for a while close to work until our son is ready for school.
Good luck.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
So in your household, if Mama ain't happy who cares, the rest of you are still happy as clams?

Sounds like the OP has a different dynamic going on his family.
Your post implied that one person needs to be placated because if they are upset, the whole house is upset. To me, that's a pretty juvenile way for grown ups to behave. A spouse should not have to give in to everything because the other person has to have their way or they will be angry and take it out on everyone in the household.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Your post implied that one person needs to be placated because if they are upset, the whole house is upset. To me, that's a pretty juvenile way for grown ups to behave. A spouse should not have to give in to everything because the other person has to have their way or they will be angry and take it out on everyone in the household.
It's the other way around!

If my spouse isn't happy then I will do what all I can do to make her/him happy. This might require me doing some sacrifices, but end of the day if I make her happy, I will be happy knowing that I made her happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate