Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:00 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times

Advertisements

If there are no plans for you and your girlfriend to marry or move in together Then I’d say she has no say in what you should do with your money, or even be made aware of all your financial details. If your current arrangement works and your parents are supportive of you building up your savings then why be diverted by what your girlfriend wants.

Does your girlfriend live at home with her parents also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 AM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Is she right? Well is she going to pay the mortgage for you? Maybe she should sign up for a 30 year mortgage.

I just love it when people spend other people's money.
Great answer, me too! I will never take out any kind of bank loan again, the interest on a mortgage is atrocious, just look at "the truth in lending page."

Old 08-01-2018, 08:07 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Moving out of your parents home doesn't make you an adult. My only problem is if he is 30 and makes 50K he should have more socked away.
Especially since he's likely getting a good break on the rent he's paying his parents....otherwise why do it since he has a girlfriend?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:07 AM

669 posts, read 582,218 times
Quote:
Moving out of your parents home doesn't make you an adult. My only problem is if he is 30 and makes 50K he should have more socked away.
Obviously he is still a child.

Decades ago When I was asked out on a date by a 30 year old guy who STILL lived at home...I declined the offer and told him that I did not date boys still living with their mommy. His facial reaction was priceless!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 AM

For those who think I am rude....just stating how I look at adult age people still under the roof of their parents. I moved out of my house at 20 and I never looked back. Had roommates until I hit my 30th birthday. I made nowhere near the $$ that allowed me to be on my own until then. OP makes 50k. Whatever.

Girlfriend is probably looking to establish a committed relationship with OP and “independence” is an attractive trait. Just my opinion.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:28 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Obviously he is still a child.

Decades ago When I was asked out on a date by a 30 year old guy who STILL lived at home...I declined the offer and told him that I did not date boys still living with their mommy. His facial reaction was priceless!
Well times have changed. Lot so millennials are living at home because they can not get stable jobs after the Great recession or don't have enough savings to safely be able to live on their own...

Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well times have changed. Lot so millennials are living at home because they can not get stable jobs after the Great recession or don't have enough savings to safely be able to live on their own...
But OP does have a job and $$. Not my business....I will quit chiming in on this conversation...maybe...ok I will. : D

Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
No, but it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
What do your parents think?
LOL

Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM

388 posts, read 536,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I'm 30 years old and make a little over $50k a year and have about $40k in the bank and live at my parents house. I save whenever I can and I pay my parents rent.

My girlfriend thinks I should move out and get a 30 year mortgage. Is she right?

HOLD UP...

In other (very recent) threads, you stated you make $70k a year and have $40k saved up.
That is quite a difference... which is it?
//www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...ouse-make.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...onal-loan.html

In those threads and in another thread, you seem to already be in the process of looking for a house, and actually have one already in mind.
Already prequalified:
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...h-my-bank.html

So what's the real story?

Last edited by TampaBull13; 08-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-01-2018, 09:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Clarification needed: Do you pay rent to your parents or do you pay your parents' rent? The latter meaning your parents are renting and you pay that for them and therefore are helping to support them.

As for what the girlfriend wants - she's a girlfriend, not your financial advisor and, unless you are planning for her to be investing in this home ownership with you, then her wants are irrelevant. What do you want? What do your parents think? The last is relevant if you are helping to support your parents. Since you are paying rent to or for them, are they self-sufficient to survive without your income? If the answer is no, then their input into this decision is relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate