Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:51 PM

57 posts, read 59,208 times

Advertisements

We are moving and were under contract in our home, however it fell through due to the buyer's job offer in the area being rescinded. So, back on the market.

We are located in the Westport, CT area and are moving to Palm Beach, FL. We've gotten quotes for moving (even POD) and they seem to be insanely expensive. Thinking about selling the furniture up here and box trucking it down south with just clothes and other essentials, and buying new furniture in south FL.

So, now we have the idea to offer a "furnished home" option. Our realtor advised it likely wouldn't draw much more attention, but we do have very nice furniture (Crate and Barrel leather couch, bedroom sets, dining sets).

How does one determine what price to charge for used furniture? Or buyers, would you not consider used furniture? Should we sell the furniture separately?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So FL Guy 1289 View Post
So, now we have the idea to offer a "furnished home" option.
Have an estate sale.

Quote:
How does one determine what price to charge for used furniture?
Walk through some consignment shops.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:50 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I agree with Mr. Rational, hire an estate sale firm to sell your stuff. My sister does estate sales on LI...they do EVERYTHING. They'll get everything organized and tag it and deal with buyers and all the headaches that entails. They will take a percentage of the proceeds.

How much are you being quoted for the move?

Old 08-02-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree with Mr. Rational, hire an estate sale firm to sell your stuff. My sister does estate sales on LI...they do EVERYTHING. They'll get everything organized and tag it and deal with buyers and all the headaches that entails. They will take a percentage of the proceeds.

How much are you being quoted for the move?
We've gotten many quotes but the average seems to be about 5-7k. That doesn't include packing.

We actually don't have much furniture. Three bedroom sets, a couch, a nice kitchen table and dining room set, and executive desk. Our house is pretty bare bones, right now. I just don't feel its worth it to spend big bucks to haul the large pieces with us when we can purchase new in our new home.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:41 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
"Furnished" is usually only attractive when selling vacation houses.

Depending on what your neighborhood is like, Crate and Barrel may not be regarded as much more than OK.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
"Furnished" is usually only attractive when selling vacation houses.

Depending on what your neighborhood is like, Crate and Barrel may not be regarded as much more than OK.
That's what I was afraid of (vacation properties). As for our neighborhood, we're the "poor" ones in town.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
If your house is Crate and Barrel furnished I would seriously consider pricing out replacement furniture....unless you are empty nesters and seriously downsizing. You're not gonna re-furnish your house for $5K, especially if you're under the gun to buy new stuff ASAP.

A common mistake people make when moving is forgetting about EVERYTHING they own. You're looking around saying "not that much stuff" but the professionals know exactly what you have in those rooms (and basement and garage if you have them). That's why paying them to pack is $$$$$ - once YOU start packing your stuff you're going to realize exactly how much you really have.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:04 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Once my house was under contract, I gave the buyers (usually the wife if it wasn't tools and such) first choice of what they would like to buy after I had removed/packed up the items I was keeping. After that all else got sold or donated. I sold two houses this way.

Price? I had a price in mind, of course, but discussed with the buyer what they thought, or else I added everything up and gave them one price for all. Bear in mind you cannot price things high or they won't go. All used things are worth very little to someone else. Ask yourself what you would pay if you were at a sale of some sort and go by that, or do research to get an idea of price. Bottom line is you want it gone and you wanna make a little money on it.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Selling a furnished house is practically impossible since most people have different tastes in furniture unless you price it so low they can't refuse you.
You could sell at an estate sale having people trampling through your house and hassling prices. If you contract out to estate companies they take about 40% commission and dump the stuff that doesn't sell to charities.
I'd suggest contacting some re-sell consignment stores that will take all your items you want to get rid of and let them sell it for you. Yes they take a commission, usually 35%, but you'll get a check each time they sell an item, some sales could take 6 months or more. But you have no hassles or worry's. They may bid to buy the whole lot from you too. Everything is negotiable.

If you want to you can also think about renting a Ryder truck one way and move it yourself.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:13 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Check out UPack.

They drop a trailer in your driveway. You hire a crew to load it up. Then a plywood bulkhead is locked and no one touches your belongings until you unload it at your new home.

It was the least expensive move we've ever made. It cost under $500/month to have the trailer sit in a storage yard while we bought our new home.

When we priced it out, it was about the same as renting a UHaul truck and driving it ourselves and we didn't have to unload our belongings into a storage unit and load it back up again.

We have moved countless times with moving companies. This was by far the best move.

Everything arrived and in good condition. First time that has ever happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate