Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:17 PM

799 posts, read 439,907 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with being gay. But some people think there is, so if you want to have a larger pool of potential buyers just lose the photos that would indicate your gay.
It's just common sense if you don't want to alienate anyone.
If you don't want to sell your house to anyone who might be anti-gay then leave the photos up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 07:39 PM

32,528 posts, read 47,585,883 times
Quote:
..............I suspect that the OP's wording of the question is a way of bringing unnecessary attention to his or her sexual orientation, which is completely irrelevant.

The way I saw it was that OP was asking if his orientation was relevant or not. I assume because he has limited experience with selling a house and is hoping to maximize the sale. If he'd already known whether or not it is an issue with buyers, he wouldn't need to ask. But he didn't know whether or not it is completely irrelevant.

No different than asking us all if his friend's advice to repaint the purple kitchen was good advice. Or wondering if reseeding the lawn was necessary.

People who don't sell a lot of houses can be uncertain about what buyers want.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,188,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The OP hasn't posted to this thread in two days.

To me, that says his question has been answered and he has moved onto other topics.
Yes of course other people may have a similar situation.

There is not a post count limit on topics. If people find the topic intesesting, then people will keep on posting.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,938,437 times
I was told to take down all family photos because the idea is for a prospective buyer to see HIS/HER family in the house. Don't think it has anything to do with sexual orientation.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:11 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,685,745 times
I was always told when selling to remove all picture from the walls.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:19 PM

129 posts, read 101,079 times
I am a former real estate agent as is my wife. We have also sold 8 of our own homes. Whether straight or gay is not the issue. You want to de-personalize your home so that the potential buyers can view it neutrally and not as your home. It is always advisable too remove family pictures and make the home as neutral as can be. It will sell faster as our did. Also have a pot of coffee going or as we used to do, buy a machine that makes scents to give the house a homey feeling like coffee or cookies baking.

Think if it this way. When you go to buy a car, would you buy one that has that new car smell or one with a baby seat and sweat smell to it? My wife is bi and we had pictures of her and her girlfriend along with some nudes, but we removed them and replaced them with scenic pictures. Stage your house to sell it. There is a lot of psychology involved in the sale off a house. Plus with people still prejudiced, why give them a reason not to buy. The way we looked at it, it was better to take their money and make a profit than make a statement that would never change their mind anyway.l

Old 08-17-2018, 05:54 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,173,820 times
As a buyer I want to see a clean uncluttered house, not your personal pictures. If the house is well staged it gives me a good idea of what it will look like with my things. Or may give me ideas to get rid of some old things and buy new. Buying a home is like a dream for most people, you want it to look spacious, open, and clean looking.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,814,839 times
Personally as a buyer, I couldn't care less about personal effects so you can leave them out. I don't need help visualizing without them. I already know they won't be there. The main thing is simply get rid of clutter so I can see what I'm buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
We were told to remove all family photos, as well as collections and anything that might in any way be controversial. Basically, anything that that reflects your personality can be distracting.
I know this is often recommended, but it's tough when your main stairway has all your pictures on it (more than 9 frames) and you have to take them down leaving nail/screws or screw holes in the wall. Is that what people end up with?

After you move, the new owner can deal with it, but at this point it's not sold yet... holes in the wall...

Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,090,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

After you move, the new owner can deal with it, but at this point it's not sold yet... holes in the wall...

You point out one of the big problems with having lots of photos on a wall. I think someone else pointed this out, but it bears repeating: a buyer won't care what's in your photos, but if he sees a lot of photos on a wall he'll see it as a wall riddled with nail holes and reject your house for that reason. Better to take the photos down, repair the holes, and paint the wall.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:01 AM

27 posts, read 9,893 times
Default What's the goal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Screw PC. I'm not here to be coddled. Please be honest.

We are a married gay couple. Will be selling house in a few months. Should we take down our pictures or leave them up for staging?

Again, please be honest.
Depends on if you care who you sell to. Do you care if someone with your values is next to live in your house? If so, leave them up. Would it go against your principles to sell to a bigot? If not, take them down.

Also what is your goal in selling? Making the most profit? A lot of conservative bigots have a lot of money and I could easily see them being turned off by your displayed relationship. If you want the most money and don't care who lives there, take them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate