Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 AM

529 posts, read 2,710,892 times

Advertisements

Other than VA loans. I guess that is sort of a sub-prime loan. Maybe Freddie Mac and Sallie Mae as well. You need little or no down payment but as I understand it, there are a bunch of checks and serious credit checks for those.

But for the other subprime loans. It seems like everyone defaulted at the same time. Are their any people who brought way more than they should have or got credit that they that they probably shouldn't have qualified for but are still making payments on time and not hurting really bad?

Last edited by shenane; 04-02-2008 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
VA loans are not subprime. There are actually some pretty strict guidelines to adhere to. Sallie Mae is the student loan GSE, perhaps you meant Fannie Mae.

There are actually plenty of people out there that took out subprime loans and used them as intended, and subsequently refinanced into a conventional loan prior to their mortgage adjusting. Keep in mind that the subprime lenders did not just offer ARM's either, they did offer 30 yr fixed mortgages as well. I can't remember the exact numbers off of the top of my head, but I guarantee that less than half of the subprime loans originated in this country went into default.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Some investors used them and could flip fast before the rate went up, but when the market went doen that is when the trouble started to show and in our area will be bigger.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Try the fed upped the interest rate, aggressively.

I know someone who got into a 3.99 ARM that became 7.125 in six months.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 AM

I think it needs to be pointed out that as of November 2007, 11.2% of all subprime loans were in default. That means the 88.8% were not, and likely the majority of those loans were refinanced into conventional programs. Just a little perspective.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:40 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
I think it needs to be pointed out that as of November 2007, 11.2% of all subprime loans were in default. That means the 88.8% were not, and likely the majority of those loans were refinanced into conventional programs. Just a little perspective.

I would like to add to this post something that has been bothering me a great deal. All I have been hearing about is how horrible and terrible the subprime industry is and that anyone that participated in it (Ex. Financial Banks, Brokers) are nothing but crooks.

I would like to let everyone know that our government encourage the formation of subprime markets in a effort to expand home ownership. Which I believe was the right thing to do and I base this opinion on multiple economic studies that have been done showing the positive affects home ownership has on communities. Home/Land owners rich or poor have much more pride and take greater care of the home they live in and the neighborhood they reside than do renters of equal income and education levels.

In addition, not just some people but the majority of those who took out subprime mortgages due to not qualifing for prime mortgages, were able to buy a home that they otherwise could not have. Made their payments and improved their credit rating and now have a wealth building asset that for so long had been unobtainable for people of low income.

I really hope that mistakes made by banking institutions (by developing loans that did not require verification of income, not completly underwritting each and every loan apprioprietly, and not documenting where each loan fell into mortgage backed securities), fraud, and poor advice given by a few bad eggs in the housing professions does not prevent low income families and people that made mistakes with credit in their youth from being able to take part in the benefits of homeownership.

We should not just trash the subprime market because of the pain we have experienced. Let us all remember that with a few corrections in how this market was utilized can give opportunities to the less privledged and improve our communities without the painful correction we are seeing today.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:22 PM

270 posts, read 1,360,633 times
We have friends that bought a house in Scottsdale AZ for $ 425000 in 2004. They had an extremely low ARM with something like 1%. They sold two years later for approx. $650000. They re payed the loan, made over $200000 in profit (no taxes had to be paid) and never looked back. They were the lucky ones......

Last edited by haberstroh; 04-02-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
I would like to add to this post something that has been bothering me a great deal. All I have been hearing about is how horrible and terrible the subprime industry is and that anyone that participated in it (Ex. Financial Banks, Brokers) are nothing but crooks.

I would like to let everyone know that our government encourage the formation of subprime markets in a effort to expand home ownership. Which I believe was the right thing to do and I base this opinion on multiple economic studies that have been done showing the positive affects home ownership has on communities. Home/Land owners rich or poor have much more pride and take greater care of the home they live in and the neighborhood they reside than do renters of equal income and education levels.

In addition, not just some people but the majority of those who took out subprime mortgages due to not qualifing for prime mortgages, were able to buy a home that they otherwise could not have. Made their payments and improved their credit rating and now have a wealth building asset that for so long had been unobtainable for people of low income.

I really hope that mistakes made by banking institutions (by developing loans that did not require verification of income, not completly underwritting each and every loan apprioprietly, and not documenting where each loan fell into mortgage backed securities), fraud, and poor advice given by a few bad eggs in the housing professions does not prevent low income families and people that made mistakes with credit in their youth from being able to take part in the benefits of homeownership.

We should not just trash the subprime market because of the pain we have experienced. Let us all remember that with a few corrections in how this market was utilized can give opportunities to the less privledged and improve our communities without the painful correction we are seeing today.
Very well said. People seem to forget that the government did in fact encourage much of the subprime and Alt-A lending as a way to spur the economy through home ownership post 9/11. Many people used these programs as they were intended to be used, and the majority of the brokers and lenders counseled their clients in the correct use of these programs.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Most people can't refi. since the value of their home is lower than their mortgage!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post

TOO LATE! The mortgage companies have already been so tight by too many knee jerk reactions that the good buyers w/ GREAT credit, wonderful job histories, plenty of cash flow, low debt, etc HAVE been hit. A few weeks ago (according to my mortgage broker) they came in saying that anyone w/ LESS than a FICO of 750 would be charged a whole 1% higher interest rate. They then lowered it to 720. THEN, if the home someone is trying to finance has seen so much as 2 foreclosures in the last several years the mortgage underwriters are LOWERING the appraisals. HURTING GOOD MARKETS that were not touched by runup's in values or subprime loans.

The pendulum has swung too far back the OTHER direction from the subprime loans and instead of HELPING the market they are hurting it even MORE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate