U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 AM

2,310 posts, read 1,903,361 times

Advertisements

My neighbors have a for sale sign in their yard but yet I can't find their listing anywhere. (check with the agent who is on the sign, and his site doens't have it on it and I looked on Realtor.com and some other sites)
How long does it take for a listing to post once they put it on the market? (I am nosy and want to see what their asking price is!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 AM

15,144 posts, read 37,647,151 times
It depends on the agent. Most get it up on the MLS in 24-48 hours, and it can take 1-5 days for it to circulate to Realtor.com.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:02 PM

414 posts, read 1,211,800 times
Call the realtor on the sign and inquire! Now I wanna know. haha!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM

376 posts, read 1,441,193 times
It depends on the what the contract states between the seller and listing company
(In California). Call the listing agent or ask your neighbor.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 PM

I will ask my neighbor when I see them. I don't see much of my neighbors...I think they are all winter hermits! (I do see them when their kids get off the bus, but then BAM! They are in their homes)
I am so curious b/c we paid $527K two months ago. A home about 5 doors down is for sale at $550K (was $560K) but they will never get that as their home needs to be staged (I looked at the pictures and they so need help. I thought about offering it to them as I am pretty good at it, but then it is one of those things where you don't want to upset them.) ANyway, there are also two other homes in the development (at the top of the development, I am on the other end) and both are listed at $469K both down from $520K. (They are with the same realtor, so I am sure he is pitting them against one another. One is vacant, so I know they must need out quick)
So...I really want to seee where this one is. THe only thing is it backs to a main road...I am on the other side of the road, across from them so it wasn't an issue for us but I am sure it will be an issue for them trying to sell...VERY BUSY road. But, I am kind of hoping their price is decent and that they sell so our value is a little better.
ANyway, thanks. I'll let you know, lol!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:35 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,054,754 times
Could be a pocket listing. They may be deliberately not entering it into the MLS yet for some reason. It's against MLS rules, but some agents do it anyway if it suits their purpose. Also, it could be they are waiting for photos or staging before actually entering it into the system.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 PM

6,165 posts, read 12,301,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Could be a pocket listing. They may be deliberately not entering it into the MLS yet for some reason. It's against MLS rules, but some agents do it anyway if it suits their purpose. .
It's not against the MLS rules in MY MLS. I have a hard time believing that any MLS actually prohibits listing a property without putting it on the MLS. I guess it's possible, but it sounds like a ridulous rule to me.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 AM

Well, it still is not listed today...so who knows. But, it does say Open Sunday on the top of the sign. They are not facing the street (they back to it) and they are at the end of a cul-de-sac, so I don't know what their purpose is of not putting it in the MLS or what have you. I don't know how anyone can come to the open if no one knows about it, lol!
I thought about calling the listing agent, but you know...I just don't feel right. I am not interested in the property and in this market I don't want to give any false hope-not even for a minute. So, I will wait and see. If I don't see it on the MLS I will just stop by the open and tell them I am a neighbor.
Anyway, thanks again!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,767,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Could be a pocket listing. They may be deliberately not entering it into the MLS yet for some reason. It's against MLS rules, but some agents do it anyway if it suits their purpose. Also, it could be they are waiting for photos or staging before actually entering it into the system.
Not necessarily. In massachusetts you are allowed to have a non mls listing as long as you notify our state's mls (via fax document signed by the seller). not a very smart thing to do in THIS market but i guess there is a reason for everything.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It's not against the MLS rules in MY MLS. I have a hard time believing that any MLS actually prohibits listing a property without putting it on the MLS. I guess it's possible, but it sounds like a ridulous rule to me.
Oh yeah, in GA, if your brokerage is a member of FMLS, you are required to list on FMLS within 3 days of getting a listing agreement. If you have something like a subdivision and are hoping to just list one and get leads for other units from that, not gonna happen. You must pay FMLS fees on each unit regardless of whether or not you list it. We have lots and lots of rules. (Of course, there are agents who don't know or intentionally don't follow the rules.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>