Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 11:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

The leaky roof aside, other improvements or changes are optional.

Also, for homes that are not for sale, the timeline of said improvements is up to them, not to the market or other external forces such as judgmental neighbors.

We moved into a home that was not finished and still isn’t. However, we have finished a lot of the to-do list in the months since moving in. The big items that depend on seasonal/weather conditions have been done except for continued landscape and plant work. Inside the buildings, there is still a LOT to do, including a few that need the right weather conditions. They are at the top of my list to do.

The remaining projects fall into four categories:

1. For some things that are very important, we have not been able to get good contractors lined up. In rural areas, this is a big problem. How do I know? Because we have slowly been hearing similar stories and complaints from people who have lived here a long time. At least three people told us, “Around here, if you want it done well, you have do to it yourself.” FWIW, on this build I ended up doing a lot more stuff than I had intended to do, and there will be more DIY stuff. Pretty sad when a homeowner’s amateur efforts turn out the same quality or even better than the paid pro’s.

2. Other things are better done in winter, when we spend more time at home. This way, I can take my time perusing and dreaming up non-standard touches. I do not like HGTV or other herd-mentality “looks,” and I am making the place unique and quirky. Obviously, these are not pressing items such as leaky roofs!

3. One outdoor and very visible project I simply need to learn more about how to do, and where to obtain materials.

4. Last but not least, the build process left me feeling sick of being subject to contractor schedules and presence. As someone else posted, my home is my sanctuary, and I want a good long break from disruption before bringing in more of it. We have some small tasks that will entail contractor visits, but anything prolonged or more invasive, I am putting off.

Last edited by pikabike; 09-27-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 11:14 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
OP trolled us with this one...

He described "Improvements," and mentioned dead plants, tired paint, and a vague reference to a roof.

We took his description to mean things like an updated kitchen, nice landscaping, replacing floors, etc...

When pushed on it he came back with a roof that has been in such disrepair that it requires tarps and buckets, for years. And no link to said listing.

He used the description of "not making improvements" when in reality, he was describing a house that is on the edge of being condemned, in such disrepair it couldn't be rented, or likely insured or financed.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:39 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
OP trolled us with this one...

He described "Improvements," and mentioned dead plants, tired paint, and a vague reference to a roof.

We took his description to mean things like an updated kitchen, nice landscaping, replacing floors, etc...

When pushed on it he came back with a roof that has been in such disrepair that it requires tarps and buckets, for years. And no link to said listing.

He used the description of "not making improvements" when in reality, he was describing a house that is on the edge of being condemned, in such disrepair it couldn't be rented, or likely insured or financed.
I give up.

I gave examples of "improvements" ranging from paint to serious maintenance like a roof and everything in between. Never once did I say that it needed to be an HGTV remodel or "updated" color (whatever that means). I left it open. Others inserted their own interpretations.

I used two examples. One was a house I was formerly interested in. It's gotten worse I four years. I have no idea about whether it will qualify for a mortgage. And I'm not shaming a person who though not a personal friend is definitely known to us by putting the link up. His homes financing is not the point of the thread. Nor am I interested in putting out details that could identify and hurt him.

The other example I used was a colleague who is just now at the point of redoing a kitchen only for resale. Presumably she lived with it for 19 years in a substandard condition and is now going to be redoing it for the benefit of a stranger. I don't understand why she wouldn't redo it for her own enjoyment.

Honestly from the responses on this thread I think there could be some underlying depression that plays into how people live and what they put up with in their homes. And some serious lack of awareness that the way one person keeps their property has an impact on others who live around them. Just sad.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:54 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
In this disposable society, I think there are people who build or buy a house, run it into the ground, then move.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:12 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Yeah, I get that. I love just looking at houses online and I will often peruse Redfin and it shocks me to see 80s kitchens and rundown looking houses.

But a lot of people just don't seem to care. Or they get soo used to it, they don't notice the decay anymore.
Having an "80s kitchen" doesn't equal a rundown house or that the person deferred maintenance.

That is purely a cosmetic/updating thing which a homeowner doesn't have to do. People who have lived in their homes for years and appreciate the kitchen as is are not obligated to update it to HGTV standards.

We purchased a home that needed cosmetic updating, but more importantly it was neat and clean.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In this disposable society, I think there are people who build or buy a house, run it into the ground, then move.
This is exactly it. Some people do not think ahead into the future, they just live for today.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
that's pretty amazing they've lived with buckets under the eaves and a tarp on the roof for 4 years. As someone asked - please post a link to the house in question.

Actually, I can believe this happens.

I like to look at houses for sale on realtor.com often. Saw one the other day, where the roof NOT ONLY had a tarp on the roof, but the tarp was in tatters. I saw that and I was like "OH HELL NO."

I look at houses all around the country. It's just a hobby/fascination/day dreaming thing for me. So I'm used to seeing tarps on rooves sometimes...explained by a tornado, or a hurricane, etc. But when I saw the tattered tarp, I thought "this house has been abandoned, and not touched in years." That was just the impression I got.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
That may be true but as several people have pointed out, a run down house next door to my house or across the street from my house, or used as a comp for my house, has an effect on the value of my house. It's not as though we all live in our own libertarian bubble. I'm truly tired of the push back on this board because of cranky defensive posturing in favor of being an inconsiderate neighbor. It's not admirable. And though I'm trying to understand why someone might do this, it doesn't make it the desirable thing to do. If you let your house skid into disrepair it has implications for those who live around you, not to mention those who live in the house itself.
Some people simply don't belong living in close proximity to others. If one has such a need to control that which goes on around them perhaps they should live somewhere far away from other humans so as not to be disappointed by that which they cannot control. We have seen people here complain about the color a neighbor painted their front door - where does the line get drawn?

Old 09-27-2018, 04:11 PM

127 posts, read 107,296 times
“Even a fresh coat of paint”

You do understand for some people repainting their home is an enormous expense and inconvenience, right? Also if you are decorating, paint should be the last thing you choose and if my pace is anything to go by, it’ll be six or seven years before I’ve decorated enough to select the right shade.

You seem to know a lot about the private lives od the people involved to assume there is no physical, financial, or logistical obstacle to performing updates to your liking.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 PM

127 posts, read 107,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Some people simply don't belong living in close proximity to others. If one has such a need to control that which goes on around them perhaps they should live somewhere far away from other humans so as not to be disappointed by that which they cannot control. We have seen people here complain about the color a neighbor painted their front door - where does the line get drawn?
Omg this.

Buy in a strict HOA neighborhood or out on some lonely property if you can’t handle neighbors.

Yes, we all want our neighbors to take care of their homes for property value blah blah blah but it’s their house and their choice and the consequence it has on me is simply not their problem. If you want a house nearby cleaned or fixed up so badly, why not go over and ask what you can do to make it happen for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate