Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 AM

173 posts, read 937,280 times

Advertisements

Do Realtor Luncheon's work? How many of you RE agents attend the "oh so many" luncheon's we get invited to on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,647,062 times
I never thought they worked. (my opinion). I go to them when I'm not busy. But sellers or developers think you should be doing something.... so we do it and hope for the best. The only other way would be to raffle off a gas card, gift certificate at the luncheon to help bring people in... sometimes you have a better turn out that way. It also may work in different parts of the country. But with gas prices being the way things are, I think it is harder to bring in people.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 AM

610 posts, read 2,717,969 times
In my personal opinion I find I get alot of the starving agents (and I literally mean starving) through the home. I do them because the buyer likes seeing people in the house and having 20 business cards on the kitchen table at the end of the day. Occassionally someone brings a client with them. I attend the broker opens to see what is on the market, not because they have food. I also find it is a social gathering for agents who are not working much and they travel from home to home simply to eat. I just don't have time for that I zip in and out to see how the home compares to my listings and whether that home will sell before mine

Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,540,632 times
If I am hungry and in the area I will go to one otherwise no.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM

10,891 posts, read 21,844,719 times
Better than public open houses but they don't really sell homes. The real purpose is to get feedback for a seller anyway.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:47 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,565,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Quite fitting for a cardboard box down by the river.

Did you serve your government cheese with the Boones Farm?
Surely not the good stuff just for realtors?? Save it for a client for pete's sake!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:49 PM

101 posts, read 136,340 times
'Quite fitting for a cardboard box down by the river.

Did you serve your government cheese with the Boones Farm?'

Hahaha. Relax sweetheart. It was a joke. What? Sales not so good lately?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvazjr View Post
I had one and served Top Ramen and provided some Boones Farm to wash it down.
I'm confused here.
Are you a real estate agent? How did you decide that this would be a good bill of fare to offer agents at an open house? Did you want them to NOT show up?
The usual marketing theory behind a brokers open, especially where one will serve food, is that you want the local agents, who might have buyers for your property, to come see the property. Food is used as an incentive, a reason to come see your property instead of others, when they might not otherwise come see it at all. That's why oftentimes a drawing is held, or prizes are given out. You want people to be excited about what they can get from you, so they will come see the house, and you can then deliver your sales pitch, or show them how this house is better than the competition. The food, if that's the hook you use, ought to be something they will be excited about, something they don't have for lunch every day. It should make them say, "Oh, I want to go there for that." And it should be well advertised beforehand. Remember, your lunch is not a thank you to those loyal people who come out on the open house tour every week, but an inducement to those who would otherwise not come.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 04-03-2008 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM

173 posts, read 937,280 times
I get invited monthy to an exclusive "broker luncheon". They give each agent (between 8-10) a $25.00 gas card and lunch. Every month the builder take about 10 minutes of your time to talk about sales and how sales can be improved then the onsite agent also takes 10 mintues to encourage the agents to bring their clients out to this particular area.

IT WORKS! IF I EVER HAVE A CLIENT IN THAT PRICE RANGE I WILL BRING THEM TO THAT PARTICULAR BUILDER BECAUSE THEY TAKE CARE OF THE AGENTS AND TRULY WANT TO BRING A QUALITY HOME TO THE CLIENTS/CONSUMERS.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvazjr View Post
Put down the NAR handbook. It was a joke.
Come see my home for sale because you need to pay your bills. How is that for an incentive?
It's not a quote from a handbook, it's my thoughts on the subject.
Here's the thing, and many listing agents don't get this, so it's not aimed at just you. (Some do get it, and I like to think I am one of them.)
My need to pay my bills is not terribly pressing. I'm not starving, I don't need to hurry up & sell something just so I can eat. And if I have a potential buyer for your house, we can look at 34 properrties that fit into his needs & affordability profile. So, in this market, the SELLERS & their agents need to get me into their house, either before or instead of the competing houses. If you live in The Glorious Pines development, and have for sale the C Model 3 bedroom unit with an unfinished basement, you need to differentiate yourself somehow. I've seen 35 C model 3 bedroom units. I have the builders floor plan complete with dimensions. I have no reason to come see yours. So give me a reason. Invite me to have a great lunch, and while I'm there, point out that the kitchen was upgraded from the builders version, to include 48" cabinets instead of 36s, and quartz countertops instead of the standard "corian type", and the low end GE almond colored appliances were replaced 5 months ago with GE monogram stainless steel appliances.
Once I've seen it, and know what you have to offer, I'll feel much more comfortable recommending it to my buyers. When we make the list of properties to go out & see this weekend, I'll be sure yours is on the list, because I already know exactly what I'm going to find. We don't have time to see all 35 tomorrow, and if my client sees one he likes, he'll happilly call off next weeks outing & buy yours.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 04-03-2008 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate