Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you/would you make this happen/work?
Yes, no problem 28 38.36%
No, it's not enough 19 26.03%
Yes, but it's not ideal 18 24.66%
No, I'd rather rent an apartment or room 4 5.48%
Other 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:50 PM

149 posts, read 100,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
How does this remotely relate to the topic?
He is the Op. This is his thread. He decides the topic, if there is even a topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 06:37 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
How does this remotely relate to the topic?

It was just an aside - about how I don't have any sort of financial obligations outside of, really, just the mortgage (and related bills) and my car insurance (and upkeep).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I don't know about the cost of housing and living in general in your area, but where I live, buying a house (and paying taxes, insurance, and maintaining an emergency fund) on that income would be doable, if a bit tight--especially a substantial amount is put down as a down payment *and* the buyer of said home intends to keep the home for at least five years.

In the interest of full disclosure: I'm a professional who makes several hundred dollars more net pay than your stated weekly amount. My monthly mortgage payment (including taxes and insurance) is just over $650.00. For me, buying a home made sense because a.) For the somewhat handy and fiscally responsible person who plans on living in the area long term, buying in Pittsburgh is often less expensive than renting a similar or lesser than nice/large housing b.) I lack any other debts outside of my mortgage. c.) I made sure that my general monthly expenses could be covered by one bi-weekly paycheck. The other check gets chucked into savings to be distributed accordingly (retirement fund, emergency fund, paying myself back any time I pull money out of savings, etc.)

Owning a house does change one's spending priorities (the international travel that I once did for fun is now limited to the North American continent, going out to eat is a special treat, etc.), but then again, when I was a single renter, I lived in much the same way so as to avoid having a roommate. :-)

In closing--if you live carefully, learn how to upgrade/repair things yourself (and have the wisdom to realize when some projects are beyond you and call in the pros!), and are willing to forgo certain niceties and unnecessary luxuries, you could live quite comfortably with a mortgage on your stated income.
The house is actually too big for me, I am feeling now. I am going to seriously consider selling it (it was appraised at $170K "as is"). 2K square feet is just too big. I would like something about $80-100K and the mortgage will be even less than where I'm at.

With some sweat equity I might be able to get upwards of $200K for the house, but I am not sure about how much time I will have on my hands and how much I would be able to do on my own.

"Selling" months are behind us at this point, and if nothing else I'd like to paint a few rooms and see what I can see...for when the "selling" months come back around.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:51 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
How stable is your job? Is there any chance of being laid off or the job going away? I don't see much cusion if there is even a short hiddup in your income stream.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:51 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
It was just an aside - about how I don't have any sort of financial obligations outside of, really, just the mortgage (and related bills) and my car insurance (and upkeep).

The house is actually too big for me, I am feeling now. I am going to seriously consider selling it (it was appraised at $170K "as is"). 2K square feet is just too big. I would like something about $80-100K and the mortgage will be even less than where I'm at.

With some sweat equity I might be able to get upwards of $200K for the house, but I am not sure about how much time I will have on my hands and how much I would be able to do on my own.

"Selling" months are behind us at this point, and if nothing else I'd like to paint a few rooms and see what I can see...for when the "selling" months come back around.
Based on all of your threads, your “sweat equity” will likely create a negative ROI.

If you have to buy roller frames, pans, trim brushes, liners, tape, drop cloths, etc... and then do a crap job?

Nah. Just clean the hell out of it, pay a professional to do it right, rent the extra rooms and move on.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:54 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
There will be no closing costs since I'm buying out my siblings' two-thirds of a house. The down payment is going to be around $8K which will come out of my checking account.
There will be closing costs if you are taking out a mortgage and/or altering the title.

Many jurisdictions charge some sort of transfer tax.
The mortgage company will require you to provide title insurance.
You will need to put an amount in escrow for property taxes.
You may need (or choose) to pay points to reduce your interest rate.
The mortgage company will have a bunch ipof fees they charge.
The jurisdiction will likely charge a title filing fee.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
NO, NOT ENOUGH!

What we know. $2k a month income. Your 401k is not touchable, so doesn't matter. $22k left for emergency fund. No debts.

Monthly debts and I'm being VERY conservative because I don't know your entire situation.

$750 mortgage
$350 groceries
$75 phone
$250 utilities
$250 Gas
$100 medical (co-pays)
$400 Entertainment ($100 a week)
$50 towards shoes/clothes, etc
$60 Car insurance

TOTAL: $2,285

That right there is OVER $2k, BUT what happens when you start dating someone and want to take them out for a nice dinner. That will up your entertainment budget. What happens if you get sick or hurt and need to go to the doctor or hospital and need tests. Now your medical bills are over budget. What about house repairs? If a fridge or stove goes out and you need a new one or your A/C needs fixing. What if your car needs new tires or you need to buy a new car?

Your income and savings is not sufficient. You either need to make more or you need a part time job. PERIOD!

Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Based on all of your threads, your “sweat equity” will likely create a negative ROI.

If you have to buy roller frames, pans, trim brushes, liners, tape, drop cloths, etc... and then do a crap job?

Honestly, why the personal attack? Where is this coming from? Did I argue with you or attack you in another thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
NO, NOT ENOUGH!

What we know. $2k a month income. Your 401k is not touchable, so doesn't matter. $22k left for emergency fund. No debts.

Monthly debts and I'm being VERY conservative because I don't know your entire situation.

$750 mortgage
$350 groceries
$75 phone
$250 utilities
$250 Gas
$100 medical (co-pays)
$60 Car insurance

That right there is OVER $2k, BUT what happens when you start dating someone and want to take them out for a nice dinner. That will up your entertainment budget. What happens if you get sick or hurt and need to go to the doctor or hospital and need tests. Now your medical bills are over budget. What about house repairs? If a fridge or stove goes out and you need a new one or your A/C needs fixing. What if your car needs new tires or you need to buy a new car?

Your income and savings is not sufficient. You either need to make more or you need a part time job. PERIOD!
I don't know where your numbers are coming from ($400/wk for "entertainment", really?), but I am very frugal and have run the numbers with my situation and doing so I will still be putting away around $500/mth even if I didn't rent out a room/level.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
NO, NOT ENOUGH!

$750 mortgage
$350 groceries
$75 phone
$250 utilities
$250 Gas
$100 medical (co-pays)
$60 Car insurance

Although I might argue a bit with some of the details of your budget, you are correct that a $2k monthly takehome is pretty marginal.

Somewhere upthread OP said the house was about 2000 sf, which is larger than one person needs. He can bring his budget into balance by taking on a roommate and renting out a room or two. An additional $600+/month would help tremendously.

This is all dependent on being able to carry the house on $750/month. That number is key to this excercise, and given OP’s lack of financial literacy I question whether that is an accurate number.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:27 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,305 times
Quote:
NO, NOT ENOUGH!

$750 mortgage
$350 groceries
$75 phone
$250 utilities
$250 Gas
$100 medical (co-pays)
$60 Car insurance

Your budget is way too high for a single person. $350 in groceries? $400 in entertainment? $500 in utilities and gas? We're 5 and spend less than $600 in groceries, around $200 in entertainment, $100 for 4 phones, $150 gas.

I don't know where the OP is, but I think it's doable.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:34 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
NO, NOT ENOUGH!

$750 mortgage
$350 groceries
$75 phone
$250 utilities
$250 Gas
$100 medical (co-pays)
$60 Car insurance

What single, rather frugal person spends four hundred dollars a month on entertainment (and on what)? I don't make *that* much more than the O.P. does; outside of utilities (which, when averaged out over the course of a year, are about spot-on), the numbers seem a bit on the high side. Erring a bit high is wise (I did this when I was running my own numbers when selling my last house and shopping for the one in which I currently live), but at the end of the day and even allowing for the unexpected and expected things that come with homeownership, renting was simply the more expensive overall.

True, life does have a way of happening (and it will whether he buys a home of not), but given the choice between continuing to rent at his age (late thirties) and purchasing a modest home, buying a home seems like the wiser of the two options--especially if he takes on a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate