Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:52 PM

395 posts, read 490,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koofie View Post
Anyone have thoughts on the Washington area?
d.c. or state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:56 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
If u think 25%-50% reduction sounds ridiculous...I bet u probably think it is ridiculous when some of these area appreciate 50%-100% from 2003-2005 during housing boom too...huh?

Obviously there are exception to the rule like manhattan (nyc). But come on... in the south? Are there another stock market, silicon valley, high paying jobs etc. down there I'm unaware of? If there is...please enlighten me. What else is there to do down there beside cows' tipping and sh*t and waiting for another big hurricane, tornado, and african killer bees to hit ur home?
Um, it is obvious your not very enlightened about most areas in the South. Dallas is one such market where our home prices and sales are doing great along w/ our economy and job market. Just in todays paper:
Dallas-Fort Worth avoids U.S. housing glut | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | HomeCenter | Dallas Real Estate, Homes & Apartments | News: Residential Real Estate (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/classifieds/news/homecenter/realestate/stories/DN-inventory_04bus.ART.State.Edition1.3958130.html - broken link)
&
List prices for Dallas-Fort Worth homes edge higher | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/040408dnbusdfwlistprices.29f82aed.html - broken link)

Our unemployment rate is at an all time low in YEARS!!!! The only houses that don't sell are the POS's that won't because the sellers think they can get top dollar like their neighbor did in a weeks time of being on the market. We DO have VERY high paying jobs and we don't all tip cows or kick sh*t. We leave that for those in cut throat markets like NYC No hurricanes here either and a tornado has not hit Dallas since 1957. You read too much into the movies and tv shows.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
Quote:
If u think 25%-50% reduction sounds ridiculous...I bet u probably think it is ridiculous when some of these area appreciate 50%-100% from 2003-2005 during housing boom too...huh?
Now I know Vincent's taking blind stabs at numbers. Vincent, you obviously have no numbers to back these proclamations up. In none of the southern states (GA, TN, MS, LA) do I ever recall seeing any 50-100% appreciation. In fact, I live in GA, and our historical appreciation for our area is a modest 2-4%/yearly.
No doubt our prices will drop some, but not to that significant number.

I think you have another agenda...promoting Manhattan (are you trying to sell???) and trying to get others from buying down south, where everyone is flocking.
Sound about right???

Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM

222 posts, read 1,054,123 times
Quote:
d.c. or state?
Sorry! DC, specifically the MD suburbs...

Old 04-04-2008, 05:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Um, it is obvious your not very enlightened about most areas in the South. Dallas is one such market where our home prices and sales are doing great along w/ our economy and job market. Just in todays paper:
Dallas-Fort Worth avoids U.S. housing glut | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | HomeCenter | Dallas Real Estate, Homes & Apartments | News: Residential Real Estate (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/classifieds/news/homecenter/realestate/stories/DN-inventory_04bus.ART.State.Edition1.3958130.html - broken link)
&
List prices for Dallas-Fort Worth homes edge higher | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/040408dnbusdfwlistprices.29f82aed.html - broken link)

Our unemployment rate is at an all time low in YEARS!!!! The only houses that don't sell are the POS's that won't because the sellers think they can get top dollar like their neighbor did in a weeks time of being on the market. We DO have VERY high paying jobs and we don't all tip cows or kick sh*t. We leave that for those in cut throat markets like NYC No hurricanes here either and a tornado has not hit Dallas since 1957. You read too much into the movies and tv shows.
There was also a huge number of California transplants that came to Texas flush with cash that are driving up the prices.

I'm in Austin and see it. What affects the country will eventually come to affect Texas. We're just riding a wave here in time and shouldn't get so smug that we'll miss this thing completely.

According to realtytrac Dallas currently has 2000 homes at Auction and 4200 homes bank owned.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 04-04-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 05:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Now I know Vincent's taking blind stabs at numbers. Vincent, you obviously have no numbers to back these proclamations up. In none of the southern states (GA, TN, MS, LA) do I ever recall seeing any 50-100% appreciation. In fact, I live in GA, and our historical appreciation for our area is a modest 2-4%/yearly.
No doubt our prices will drop some, but not to that significant number.

I think you have another agenda...promoting Manhattan (are you trying to sell???) and trying to get others from buying down south, where everyone is flocking.
Sound about right???
Agreed!

Prices may-- and are-- dropping, but they aren't going to drop by twice the amount they went up in areas experiencing migratory influx. Vincent is spouting unsubstantiated predictions about areas s/he doesn't live in, doesn't know anything about and isn't interested in learning anything about. You know that old saying-- it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt. Well, the same thing applies to fingers on keyboards.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
The median price of a home sold in the San Jose, CA market went up 7% last year, the median price in Stockton, CA just 60 miles away dropped about 18%.

Real estate is local
, and any attempt to paint with a broad brush is likely to get a whole lot of paint where it doesn't belong.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 PM

395 posts, read 490,434 times
I want u guys go check out the show "my house is worth what!?" on hgtv channel. They go around the country and do appriasal on all the houses, east, west, south, and north etc. And I'm talking about recent shows and not re-run. That's where I get my facts from. I don't know to laugh or feel sorry for some of these owners when these realtors feed them some bs astromonical price for their home.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
Quote:
I want u guys go check out the show "my house is worth what!?" on hgtv channel. They go around the country and do appriasal on all the houses, east, west, south, and north etc. And I'm talking about recent shows and not re-run. That's where I get my facts from. I don't know to laugh or feel sorry for some of these owners when these realtors feed them some bs astromonical price for their home.
OMG, OMG, OMG. Are you kidding me?
That's where you get your facts from?
That's like saying I watch Scooby Doo and saying every house is haunted.
Get a grip man, it's entertainment.

You were doing better not to disclose your "source."

Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Oh, HGTV is where you get your misinformation. That explains a lot. Go back and look at some of the HGTV discussions on past threads here.

Dat's rite, nothin' in da south but tractors cloggin' up dat traffic on dat newfangled intrastate thing they bilt, cow feelds so we can tip 'em ova at nite fo some entuhtainment, home grown tobaccy, sippin whiskey, outhouses, and dile up internet. Just da way we lak it, thankee very much. We done wanna change so doesn't you go thankin about retirin' round heh or nuthin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate