Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,850,959 times

Advertisements

I see the values dropping for the next 12-18 months, nationally. I see it dropping here in Chicago for at least 12 months.

Mr. Hoffman seems to have weathered the market thus far in low cost SC market (176m) but I expect even areas like that and NC which were slightly positiveast year to post modest declines this year.

There will always be local areas that post gains such as my hometown in Indiana which is getting a new Honda plant and is seeing bigtime rise in values, but even they have slowed.

And RE agents please don't respond to this post like I am an uneducated first time homebuyer. I have several investment properties in Chicago including an apartment building. I have also worked in banking for nearly 10 years so no BS realtor hype please. I have lost I estimate 100M in equity and anticipate losing another 100M before we bottom. And this is Chicago, one of the better markets to be in.

I still like RE as a long term not flip investment and will buy apartment building for 600-800m that is worth 1mm, with of course 20 percent down, 800 empirica and it has to cashflow 1.2x.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 AM

395 posts, read 488,239 times
chicago...i predict 25%-50% haircut.
much of cali: 50% haircut
phoenix: 50% haircut
florida: 50% haircut
midwest: 25%-50% haircut
northeast: 20%-40% haircut
manhattan (nyc): 5%-10% haircut

Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,136,737 times
Historically, the water level is: average house price equals 2 1/2 times average income.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
I can understand why the OP asked for no realtor responses. All you hear from them is "there is never a better time to buy than now". Even with values falling, foreclosures mounting and the Fed not exposing the whole ball of wax on the underlying subprime mess and how much more there is to it.

There's plenty of debates going on over in the City forums between realtors and potential buyers/sellers about the economic state of housing in their city.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 AM

930 posts, read 2,418,750 times
NOW is a great time to buy!!!

Oh shoot diddlee squat. You said no realtor responses.

Well okay, but I haven't made jack sht in commissions so far this year. So buy people buy!!!

The person who said median home price equals 2 1/2 times median income was dead on. We falling.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,795,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I can understand why the OP asked for no realtor responses. All you hear from them is "there is never a better time to buy than now". Even with values falling, foreclosures mounting and the Fed not exposing the whole ball of wax on the underlying subprime mess and how much more there is to it.

There's plenty of debates going on over in the City forums between realtors and potential buyers/sellers about the economic state of housing in their city.
It wouldn't surprise me to see a double digit decline( from the peak) sometime in '09...Right now we're still at a standoff. Buyers are hearing about declines in other areas and lending standards have tightened, so there's far less buying.
A lot of sellers know what their houses "were worth" a year ago, and don't see why they should lower prices, and some realtors are advising them to hold firm on prices, as if that could stem the tide.
It doesn't mean you should or shouldn't buy. Inventory is high, so there's a lot to choose from, and if you're planning on staying in the house for 10 years, the price shouldn't make that much difference. And some people just don't feel whole until they own a house. In that case, just make sure you find a relative bargain to cushion you against price decreases.
At the moment, renting is still far less expensive.

From

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...e-today-2.html

by Ira500.

Not all Realtors spout sunshine and rainbows. Some just give you the dirt/the down low/the nitty gritty/ and let you make up your own mind.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,491,133 times
I am starting to see some REO's selling for 50% off of peak prices in my area.

I think I may start presenting my cash offers now to the banks.

I am seeing more and more LP's being issued, so that means more REO's for me to select from.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:24 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,850,959 times
Default realtors please respond

I never said I didn't want realtor feedback, just no pumper BS. Just don't assume we are all first-time buyers and uneducated.

Mr. Hoffman has been very professional on this forum and I welcome feedback from people like him. I do however have a more pessimistic view of the market than he does.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM

180 posts, read 654,649 times
As I stated in the other thread. The drop is local. Very local in that it has not been equal even a city.

My part of Phoenix has seen price drops of 45%. All gains from the bubble years are gone and prices are back down to prebubble 2001-2002 ranges. Sure not all seller believe that yet, but having been watching my local market for the past 18 months the drop is quite clear to see. The other thing is that homes under contract have doubled in the last few weeks. Sales have not picked up that much yet since it take time for under contract to turn into sales, but they have trended slightly upward in the last 3 months. Volume is still down compared to a solid market, but things are changing. Even so demand is increasing due to low prices. Alot of people have been waiting on sidelines watch for the time to jump in. Many are doing so due the pricing. I don't see prices dropping much further here in my part of Phoenix. Maybe 5% more?

Other parts of Phoenix have NOT had this severe price drop in the last 18-24 months we have had so an overall city/metro figure may not show the nature of my local market.

BTW... I am not a realtor. I am just been keeping track of the market for a while localy.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,583,540 times
Quote:
chicago...i predict 25%-50% haircut.
much of cali: 50% haircut
phoenix: 50% haircut
florida: 50% haircut
midwest: 25%-50% haircut
northeast: 20%-40% haircut
manhattan (nyc): 5%-10% haircut
Vincentnyc,
Why did you give yourself only 5-10% when places out in the midwest are undervalued for the most part, by like 30%?
Do you have any real research put into these numbers or are you just taking a blind stab?
I'm curious to what you think about the southern states, excluding Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate