Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,519 times

Advertisements

We got an offer on our house on Monday we went back and forth on offers until yesterday we came to an agreement. We would have to pay money at closing to get out of the house. We signed the contract last night and faxed the paperwork to the realtor. This morning we got a call from our realtor and we got another offer on the house that was 12,500 more than the first offer. What would happen if we backed out of the first offer, after we signed the paperwork? Can they come after us? Any advise would be great.

Tracey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:18 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti'swife View Post
We got an offer on our house on Monday we went back and forth on offers until yesterday we came to an agreement. We would have to pay money at closing to get out of the house. We signed the contract last night and faxed the paperwork to the realtor. This morning we got a call from our realtor and we got another offer on the house that was 12,500 more than the first offer. What would happen if we backed out of the first offer, after we signed the paperwork? Can they come after us? Any advise would be great.

Tracey
Check your contract for possible penalties. You really need to discuss options with your agent and see what they have to offer. In our local contract it allows the buyer to sue for specific performance (they can force you to stick to the contract plus recover legal damages).

Talk to your agent and see how solid the second offer and hang on for a backup. What would cause them to want out? There's always the possibility the home inspection addendum could work in your favor Of course, if you get out the first and then the second fell through for some reason...

Last edited by Brandon Hoffman; 04-04-2008 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: accidentally posted twice, deleted the first.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Was their offer contingent on anything, like them selling their house, with a condition that you would be accepting back up offers in that time?

Old 04-05-2008, 06:21 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
Depends on the state too. We had a signed contract in NY with someone to sell our home and the same thing happened-we got another offer for a lot more. In NY an attorney has to approve the sale and they have 3 days to do so. We just called the attorney and he did NOT approve the sale and we sold to the couple with the higher offer.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:00 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,556 times
You should be contacting a real estate attorney to see what the liabilities and ramifications are.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,603 times
As others said, there could be some options depending on where you live. Talk to the attorney.

It's also possible that the buyer can't get financing, which happens more often that you may think. This actually happened to me. I was the eventual buyer and the first buyer failed to get a loan. Of course, I don't know what the first offer was. But I was so glad that the house was back on the market. I had an eye on it but it was sold one week prior to my house hunting.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
In Oregon, the buyer could sue you for performance and force you to sell the house. Our contracts don't give sellers a lot of outs. If you are lucky, the agent won't deposit the earnest money on time which would be a seller out here in Oregon.

I would take the other as a back-up offer and see if the other deal falls through.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Depends on the state too. We had a signed contract in NY with someone to sell our home and the same thing happened-we got another offer for a lot more. In NY an attorney has to approve the sale and they have 3 days to do so. We just called the attorney and he did NOT approve the sale and we sold to the couple with the higher offer.
Works this way in Illinois, too.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:30 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,121 times
This happened to us when we first started to house hunt in NJ/NY. Except we were the buyers. After 3 weeks we thought the documents were all in order (or so we thought) and we had already the inspection. Then the seller's agent called and said that there was another offer $15000 more than ours. It also happened that there was only one more day on the attorney review period left (they had dragged out the signing of the documents despite us pressuring them). We did not have the means to go up in price and lost out. And there was not much else we could do (besides some yelling at the agent ;-))...we even lost the inspection money. This was very stressful for us since we were out of state, on a job relocation and I was 8 months pregnant. We ended up renting because we could not find another house so fast (this was also during the "boomyears").
I guess what I am trying to say is that it depends how far along in your contracts you are and what your local laws say. I am also trying to say that although we got financially and mentally hurt you can't blame the seller for trying to sell to the the highest bidder. But than again it might not always work out. Today a lot of closings blow up in the last minute.
Hope you can work it out somehow.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:13 PM

147 posts, read 689,156 times
I think it's interesting that people talk about breaking a contract so casually. You entered into an agreement with these people and now you want to back out because something "better" has come along. Does that seem like it's the right thing to do?

Last edited by Korillian; 04-05-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate