Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 12:31 PM

75 posts, read 62,780 times

Advertisements

I would hire a surveyor and have the property line staked with those flexible orange poles just so your neighbors know who owns what.

Otherwise, they might come over to harvest their Christmas trees and firewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 07:11 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

FYI, we will be on public sewer (YAY!) and electric is at the front property line. Gas will be propane (tank). Have no idea as far as watershed. Terrain is level and heavily wooded.

I guess what I am wanting to know are things that, as a lifelong big city suburbanite, I wouldn't think to even ask or inquire about!
The health of the trees since dead ones attract termites and fall over, sometimes onto things. Also wind, since it will blow loose bits around and break weak branches and blow them around, too. Also, are they leafy trees, as in having to rake?

Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The health of the trees since dead ones attract termites and fall over, sometimes onto things. Also wind, since it will blow loose bits around and break weak branches and blow them around, too. Also, are they leafy trees, as in having to rake?
Yes, they are leafy trees, but I would not think that raking would be involved. (Please let me know if I am wrong about this.) We last visited the community less than three weeks ago, and there was no evidence of anyone doing any raking. (Again, this is a VERY "natural" subdivision with not a mowed lawn in sight, except for on the nearby golf courses. The low maintenance aspect was one of the things that attracted us to that subdivision. Btw, this is in rural Wisconsin.)

Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, they are leafy trees, but I would not think that raking would be involved. (Please let me know if I am wrong about this.) We last visited the community less than three weeks ago, and there was no evidence of anyone doing any raking. (Again, this is a VERY "natural" subdivision with not a mowed lawn in sight, except for on the nearby golf courses. The low maintenance aspect was one of the things that attracted us to that subdivision. Btw, this is in rural Wisconsin.)

Sounds lovely. If there's an HOA, read the CCR's. If there's not, it sounds like you'd be subject to town or county regulations, if any, but given your description of the other places in the subdivision, it sounds like you'd be fine, and in fact, preferable, to go natural.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
If it were me, I would at least keep the leaves raked around the areas that will get foot traffic. Like...between your driveway and your doors at least. Snakes like to sun themselves in the leaves sometimes. Usually, enough racket will make them move along...but for MY peace of mind, I'd rake the leaves a little. lol

And yeah...critters. If you're cool with them, it's all good, but be aware, you'll have raccoons that will try to get in your trash cans, and you'll have chipmunks and groundhogs tunneling in and around your place. The chipmunks and groundhogs COULD create a trip hazzard...which is another good reason to keep the leaves raked around the places you're most likely to walk.

We have a place out in the country, and I enjoy seeing the critters (and we learned to bungee cord the lids to the trash cans.)

Old 11-08-2018, 09:42 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Another thing I thought of...

If you're a gardener, and you plan to have a flower bed...consider what you plant. Maybe try to incorporate native plants, and keep in mind that some flowers are just delicious dessert for woodland creatures. Like...some creatures will eat up your tulip bulbs, daffodil bulbs and such.

Hosta are deer resistant, and I've had good luck with Irises and roses. Your local nursery could probably give further advice on that.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
get a survey done, and pay for permanent markers at the corners. then make sure to meet your neighbors on all sides and determine just how well you're all going to get along. If you're all neighborly, you'll never have to worry about it again.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:33 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the survey has already been completed (as of a week ago), and there are permanent markers at the corners.

Thanks again to everyone!

Old 11-08-2018, 02:28 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Your woods should be thinned and limbed up. Contact your local fire marshal and ask about defensible space.

Leaves can be left but remove any dead dry wood.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Study what plants are invasive in your area, and get rid of those first. Where I live plants like Chinese Privet and Chinese Wisteria will invade and take over a wooded area quickly if not controlled.

A walk behind brush mower definitely comes in handy, Home Depot rents them out, and you can occasionally find used ones for sale on Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate