Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times

Advertisements

I think everyone is perhaps assuming more much more premeditated thought than often takes place. People walk through a home touching things, flipping switches, turning lights on and off, turning fans on an off, and may turn the thermostat too, either because it's a familiar kind, or an unfamiliar kind, and they want to see how it works. Either the heat is on and they want to hear it turn off, or it's off, and they want to hear it turn on. Then they move on. They may not have even noticed what it was at before. They're thinking about a lot of things, but exactly how you like everything in the house is not one of them.

My husband does the best he can to walk along behind us during showings and turn things back on/off, lock doors and fix anything that has been moved... close lids if he knows they were closed before, make sure the toilet has flushed completely if it's been used, but he's not going to know where the thermostat was and probably would close an open washer just because it's how he is... he runs around closing cabinets behind me all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Maybe you wouldn't notice the change in temperature. I can tell you that if I am cold, I notice warm air blowing pretty quickly. I'm not saying that the ambient temperature of the room changes immediately, but I do appreciate the warm air at least starting to make things more comfortable.

Same thing in hotter weather. A house that is 80 degrees doesn't become 72 degrees in a few minutes, but the cool air circulating makes it more comfortable.

And of course as I noted, it's also to get a sense of how well the HVAC works since that could factor into an offer.

As for the amount of time, if I'm seriously considering a house and stopping to think about where I might put my furniture, walking through the motions of preparing a meal to make sure the kitchen works for me, and just generally envisioning living there, then anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes isn't out of the question. So a seller should HOPE I'm there for that amount of time. If I can walk through in 10 to 20 minutes and leave, then there is pretty much zero chance I'll be making an offer.
I've had some analytical buyers that like to "kick the wheels", but you seem a bit over the top. Nothing right or wrong, it's just your way. I was honestly just curious how much time you felt was needed. The last 6 homes I bought I was probably viewed them less than 5 or 10 minutes each. Some were investments and some where primary residence.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:41 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I've had some analytical buyers that like to "kick the wheels", but you seem a bit over the top. Nothing right or wrong, it's just your way. I was honestly just curious how much time you felt was needed. The last 6 homes I bought I was probably viewed them less than 5 or 10 minutes each. Some were investments and some where primary residence.
I got burned by a kitchen that appeared great - roomy, tons of cabinets and counter space. But it turned out to be an abysmal kitchen to cook in, nothing was in the right place. So now I walk through the motions of preparing a meal to make sure everything works.

And I have a few pieces of heirloom furniture that will go with me to any home I live in, so I need to be able to visualize the furniture layout, take some measurements and think about how it will all fit before knowing if something is a viable contender. Obviously I only take this kind of time for something that I'm pretty seriously interested in to start with.

As someone who built new construction for my current home, it will likely not surprise you to hear that I went to the model home more than once before signing the initial contract, and then before signing the final contract, I went to check out all the model homes in all of the local communities built by this builder, along with multiple trips to the design center.

On the other hand, I feel like I made only two errors in terms of all of my choices (minor - should have put crown molding on the upper cabinets in the kitchen and major - should have added an extra door from the yard into the garage). Everything else was fine.

And I didn't drag my agent along to anything but the first visit to the model home, and then when I went to sign contracts. And the builder's agent liked me enough, even through the entire build process where he had to remain actively involved to help resolve the issues that cropped up along the way, still liked me well enough to not just give me the standard gift bag, but also a piece of decor from the model home because he knew my kiddo loved it. So yeah, I'm very analytical and possibly even over the top, but I'm nice about it and try to make sure that it doesn't impact anyone but me except in limited ways.

And when touring a home, I do try to be cognizant of anything I open or close or turn on or off, so I can put them back to their original state. I'm sure I've missed things at times, but I do at least try.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:43 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, you insult us by saying we don't care about our stuff?
Yep , he lost me there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Personally, I'm grossed out by taking my shoes off in a stranger's place. But different strokes for different folks. You like clean carpets. I like clean feet. We're all entitled to an opinion.
I can't stand the thought of taking off my shoes in someone's house as well. We looked at a brand new house and they requested we take our shoes off to tour it. I reluctantly did that as it was new.

If a pre-owned house offered booties to wear, I'd be OK with that. But if not, I'd pass and wait outside while the wife toured the interior. She knows what I like and don't like in a house. If she gets really keyed up on the place, then I'd acquiesce and take the shoeless tour.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:04 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times
I am pretty analytical, too. I start on the first viewing by just getting an overall vibe; do I like the house, is there too much traffic, will the layout work for us and our business, do the essentials that drew me in actually meet my expectations, etc. I always look at a house at least twice because the first time is pretty cursory, just making sure it fits the main needs. The second visit, I check water pressure, make sure I can put a fence where I need to, revisit outlets and layouts of the house, spend a bit more time outside to ensure it's quiet enough.

I am in the process right now of looking and have found a house we all like. I am waiting for the owners to complete some outstanding items that they said would be done before closing before I'll make an offer. I want the inspector to make sure those items were done correctly after we make our offer. Once those items are done, I'll be making a 3rd visit to the home and then I'll make an offer. The house has been on the market for 60 days so far because it's overpriced for where it is. It's also a 4 hour drive from where we live right now, so we have to do what we have to do and right now that means we'll go back to see it the third time in early December. If we lived closer, then we'd move more quickly, but we don't. Normally all my visits would be within a week in an average market. I don't think I could buy in a hot market because I take too long to process things and work my way through the buying process. I've never shopped in a hot market, so I have no idea.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:15 PM

505 posts, read 583,425 times
I feel your pain of showing your home while still residing in it. My parents were part gypsy and I grew up moving every couple of years. In that time the houses:

- had someone smash a huge glass window after we moved out

- caught children multiple times jumping on beds and furniture while waiting in the garage for the showing to be over. We heard loud screaming, jumping and banging. My mom asked the people to leave both times. She did not care if it cost her the sale. It did end up selling to the right buyer.

- I was sick, asleep in my bed and I hear loud men's voices coming down the stairs. The realtor was supposed to give notice for a showing and never did. These men became hostile at me when I asked them for their card and who they were?!!

- one jerk wanted to view the property at 6:00am before work and wanted us out of the house.

I think you should talk to the realtor to please look after your property and consider putting signs up. Reminders to take shoes off and nicely encouraging parents to keep their brats, I mean children, with them. Is there anyway you can relocate first? Best of luck, I feel your pain.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,199,687 times
Have a box of disposable shoe booties and put one of those paper strips that say "sanitized for your protection" you see in motels, around the toilet seat lid. Few people would dare rip those if it's not their house (or their motel room). I know I'd hesitate to.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:13 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Agreed. Messing with the thermostat is the only thing in the list of OP's complaints that I would agree with getting upset over.

If they had just turned the thermostat up or down to make sure the heat/ac kicked on; blew hot/cold air, and then returned it to the setting it was when they got there; that would be one thing. No need to stress the system at a showing, again an inspector will do that.....and if you mess with the thermostat at all you should definitely put it back to where it was when you arrived.

Yeah, I actually forgot to address that. It's pretty careless to change the thermostat and not fix it before leaving. Who does that?!?!

Old 11-26-2018, 10:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Wow, that is really twisted logic you got there

Potential buyers are not my "guests". They are not my friends. They are one half of a potential business agreement. No more no less. I dunno, I have a hard time understanding why people refuse to understand that until the house is sold, it is still someone's home. Yes take a good long look around. But don't make yourself at home until you write the check.
Not many are arguing a potential buyer is a friend. At best it’s a temporary guest in your house.
Here is how I see it. If you’re trying to sell a house you are going to deal with a gamut of buyers. From timid I’m in a museum type to the guy who tries out every bed, walks in the tub, looks n your fridge type. It’s just part of doing business. Now it may bother you it may bother most. But that’s life. You’re gonna deal with insensitive types. If it bothers you that much it’s best to move out and sell the house empty.

Hey I had to deal with some strange people when screening for rentals.
One guy walked in and literally blew a huge vape cloud. The ad clearly stated non smoker

One lady had three kids. Looked over one kid was climbing on the OUTSIDE of the banister and was 1/2 way up he steps. Just as mom was telling me how well behaved the kids were. I just pointed to her kid and said really. Funny I never got her application.

One guy started looking through the house as if he was doing a home inspection. He literally asked how old were the outlets, carpet, he wanted to see receipts. Kid you not.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:48 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Agreed. Messing with the thermostat is the only thing in the list of OP's complaints that I would agree with getting upset over.

If they had just turned the thermostat up or down to make sure the heat/ac kicked on; blew hot/cold air, and then returned it to the setting it was when they got there; that would be one thing. No need to stress the system at a showing, again an inspector will do that.....and if you mess with the thermostat at all you should definitely put it back to where it was when you arrived.
Fact: Testing, heating, cooling system is done all the time to see if it works. If it does not, there will be no offer. A few simple tests will be done at viewing. Buyers only make offers after doing a few simple evaluations. No one wants to make an offer to send the money for an inspection, and find problems they should have found out before they made an offer they will now cancel.

It is surprising how many on this thread get upset by things such as a potential buyer changes the thermostat, when evaluating a home. It is not a museum, and the person that gets touchy freeley with a home they are looking at, is a serious buyer. The one that walks through the home and touches nothing, is a looky lou, as they are known by long time Realtors, and are not going to buy that home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate