Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 12:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's been happening in blue states/enclaves. I live in a very red area of a red state. We don't have that happening around here.
Every post you write about this somehow gets worse. You basically just said, "I'm a well-to-do older person in a nice car, so I am above suspicion."

You are starting to sound like this guy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/18/u...ck-person.html

Old 11-25-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Only someone with real issues or true mental problems would call the cops on people just looking to buy a home advertised as for sale.
Mental problems? That's just not true.

A for-sale sign is not a permission slip. It's a notification, not an invitation to trespass.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Only someone with real issues or true mental problems would call the cops on people just looking to buy a home advertised as for sale.

This is not snooping around private property, this is an item advertised for sale. This is the most bizarre post I've read in a while.
Not bizarre at all. I just posted about six vagrants who set up housekeeping in a house staged for sale right down the street from me. They were caught by an observant neighbor. This is a very nice neighborhood where houses routinely go for $500k and up in a very active community full of busybodies looking for their next drama, so these trespassers were pretty damn brazen. There was no way they would go unnoticed for long. I think that if the OP's spidey-sense is going off, he should absolutely call the police and let them check it out.

That said, please practice the appropriate discernment. If there's a car parked out front, and the visitors are walking around pointing and taking notes, it's likely a potential buyer or even someone who has already made a tentative offer. Regardless, I suggest just walking over and introducing yourself. If they're up to no good, your initiation of friendly contact will demonstrate that someone is keeping an eye on the property.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-25-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
This is not snooping around private property, this is an item advertised for sale. This is the most bizarre post I've read in a while.

Houses that are for sale are very much still private property! They should be treated as such.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:49 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeighbor View Post
Paranoid?

Yes. It's routine to scope out properties without a realtor. I've done that many times.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:26 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Every post you write about this somehow gets worse. You basically just said, "I'm a well-to-do older person in a nice car, so I am above suspicion."

You are starting to sound like this guy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/18/u...ck-person.html

Really? I'm retired LE. The last thing I'm going to do is get stupid with an officer. And I drive a nice truck, not a nice car. My wife is the one with the nice car.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I've bought and sold a half-dozen houses in my day and toured what seems like hundreds more in the process, and without an accompanying agent, I have never done anything more than drive by. Houses for sale are still private property. I consider walking around opening shed doors to peek inside to be trespassing.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Brokers here couldn't care less... I had a foreclosure that was listed next to me... and the doors, lights, etc. would be left on/open...

Listing Broker who also happened to be the local Board President told me to stop calling her... if I was concerned to call the police...

I also had no end to strangers at my door... asking about the neighborhood, what did I know about the family that had left... any problems with the house???

It happened several times a day to which I said call the Realtor... and they would answer we did and left a message.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Really? I'm retired LE. The last thing I'm going to do is get stupid with an officer.
***sigh*** not the police part, the part where you assume no one should question you because of your appearance.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:36 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeighbor View Post
House next door to me is empty and for sale. A few times there have been people on the property without being accompanied by a real estate agent.

On Thanksgiving there was 3 shadey looking individuals doing this, walking around looking into windows opening sheds... all this right at the time people likely would be sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner. I called the cops but nothing came of it.

Would you have called the cops in this instance?
Should people be snooping around a for sale home like this without a realtor with them?

I feel like some of these people are not perspective buyers since I don't see them coming back with an agent to see the inside.... I feel they are casing the house and my house. Paranoid? perhaps.
If you send me another private message saying "shove it up your ass" you will be reported.

Edited to add: I later removed the 2 messages, second one is too vulgar

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; 11-25-2018 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate