Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 09:38 AM

112 posts, read 262,546 times

Advertisements

We will be closing soon on new construction in a neighborhood with other homes going up. I think the builder may have inflated the claim of finished square footage, effectively lowering the cost per square foot a bit. What might you recommend as a resolution if my gut feeling is right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 09:42 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Get it measured. Some measure from the exterior around the shape of the foundation. Some measure inside wall to inside wall. Some accidentally measure the stairs twice. You won't get any 2 numbers exactly the same, but you should be within a reasonable amount of what was advertised.

If it's significantly off, ask for a credit. If it's slightly different, you need to remember that humans build these houses and you'll never be exact. Framing a house even 1/8" off in each room adds up.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:53 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7footer View Post
We will be closing soon on new construction in a neighborhood with other homes going up. I think the builder may have inflated the claim of finished square footage, effectively lowering the cost per square foot a bit. What might you recommend as a resolution if my gut feeling is right?
Do you like/want the house and at the agreed upon price? If yes, buy it. Enjoy it.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:01 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Ask the builder to give you a weight measure.
Is the price per kilogram acceptable? If yes, buy it. If no, then don't.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:15 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
help us out with "a bit", and what makes you think the house is smaller than claimed.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:

No square footage is not a valid measure for a 3 dimensional object. The price should be calculated on volume since having ceilings high enough to be usable is important. If you think the builder is cheating on square footage you better check the ceiling heights. Maybe they are only 7' 6" instead of 8 ft.

I've never seen this fad of comparing houses on price per square ft. There are so many other factors that need to be considered. You are buying a house to make a home not a turkey to cook for Thanksgiving.

I would be worried about square footage if it was used to establish the assessed value. How do you think the builder is cheating?

Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 PM

112 posts, read 262,546 times
OP here... Plans say it’s 2,950 finished square feet, and 4,050 with the basement finished (which we opted to do). Using the outside dimensions I come up with a slightly smaller number. Across three level it adds up - maybe 6-7% high overall. Not a huge deal, but a couple hundred square feet is a couple hundred square feet.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:16 PM

356 posts, read 281,332 times
If you are financing the home there will be an appraisal done, and the appraiser will measure.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:42 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
OP here... Plans say it’s 2,950 finished square feet, and 4,050 with the basement finished (which we opted to do). Using the outside dimensions I come up with a slightly smaller number. Across three level it adds up - maybe 6-7% high overall. Not a huge deal, but a couple hundred square feet is a couple hundred square feet.
Your contract to build will have a clause about the square footage. Read it then realise there isn't much to be done and move on with your life.

There is no way they are as far off as you are assuming, how did you even get the plans they are proprietary and a pain in the butt to find. Because my dad is in the trades and does work for the builder we purchased from I have a stamped copy of the plans. The builder says the total sq ft is 2300 on the main home, my appraiser measured 2306 and the county assessor has 2299. That is the normal variance you will find.

If they are a few hundred off then either they built the home several feet short or, and more likely, you are measuring wrong. In the sq ft measurements will be everything inside the outer walls or foundation so your interior/exterior walls are counted as livable sq ft as well as any dead space for plumbing/HVAC, etc.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
First, measure the home accurately yourself. Remember not to include garage space or basement space. Gross Living Area includes finished, heated, above grade space. Not finished basements, that is a separate figure. Also, take out 2 story spaces. For example, a 2-story great room or family room is only counted once, not twice. So if a 2-story foyer measures 12 x 18, remove 12 x 18 from the upper level calculation.

Now, what to do about it if the builder is wrong. Do you still want the house? Does it meet your needs? If the builder says it’s 5,850 sqft and you calculate 5,625 sqft does it really matter all that much? Sometimes builders include finished basement space and report a figure for total finished space rather than the gross livable area. It’s not really misrepresentation, they are inflating, but it’s an obvious marketing thing and you are not really being misled.

Your recourse is to pull out of the deal and sue for fraud if he won’t return your entire deposit, but is it really worth it at this point?

So, get an accurate measurement. Decide if it makes a real difference. If it doesn’t, continue to a closing. If it’s a material misrepresentation and there is a real discrepancy of sufficient magnitude, then seek to terminate the deal or adjust the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate