Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM

222 posts, read 1,054,234 times

Advertisements

Background...

We decided last Oct to put our house on the market, but we updated the kitchen first to make our condo more marketable (we had updated appliances but our cabinets/counters were crap). at this point similar condos were selling 205-215k. We finished in Jan and just as we finished the job, the condo across the hall went on the market for $186k. We waited a bit to not compete with them, but they basically caused all of the other condos to drop the price. There was a contract on theirs fast - two weeks I think and it just sold for $183k. Ours went on the market ~a month ago. We had positive feedback but no one offered, so we dropped the price from $218 to $209k. For almost 2 weeks we had no visitors.

Today we got two letters of intent. One says they like it, but it is way overpriced considering the $183k condo across the hall (which was nice, but had our old kitchen - crap). The second was for $200k, but with us paying closing costs. sigh.

We're happy to have interest, but with the $13k we put in the kitchen it is hard to see the low offers. I guess we gambled and lost. We verbally countered with the second offer, and we should get a contract for $205 with $5k closing cost help. Sadly, the proceeds will not be enough to get us into a house, but I believe if we don't sell now, we can't. Since we have a 5yo who drives us crazy with no playground/friends here to play with, we've decided to live with mom for a year or so to save. I'm cringing already. 4 adults and two kids in a 4 bedroom house with no room for hubby and I except our small bedroom will suck I hope housing prices drop fast starting right after we close on the condo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate