Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

Since I moved to the nearest town to be closer to the hospital and doctors, I needed to sell my beloved 1927 bungalow. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated to get it on the market, what with driving back and forth to get it emptied out, even after the auctioneers took a lot of my personal items and furniture before I moved. The house got an offer 3 weeks after hitting the market November 8th, and we negotiated it to $3K below the listing price with my paying the $6.5K in closing costs (FHA loan).

I was amazed that the home inspector had only ONE finding, and that was on the brand new stove I had installed (it smelled bad when he ran it). I had it re-inspected by licensed gas technicians who said that new gas stoves need to be run for at least an hour to burn off the interior coatings, which I then did. (I sure never had that problem with my restored 1953 Wedgwood stove, but whatever.) The next hurdle was the FHA appraiser, who I was afraid would ding the original garage for being skewed, but he appraised the value as sufficient for the loan with no repairs needed at all. What a load off my mind. Closing on Dec. 28th!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Congrats.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:11 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
Congratulations! We sold a small property this summer it was also a load lifted. Never look back. Too many sellers cling to some unrealistic dollar figure and never sell.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:07 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Since I moved to the nearest town to be closer to the hospital and doctors, I needed to sell my beloved 1927 bungalow. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated to get it on the market, what with driving back and forth to get it emptied out, even after the auctioneers took a lot of my personal items and furniture before I moved. The house got an offer 3 weeks after hitting the market November 8th, and we negotiated it to $3K below the listing price with my paying the $6.5K in closing costs (FHA loan).

I was amazed that the home inspector had only ONE finding, and that was on the brand new stove I had installed (it smelled bad when he ran it). I had it re-inspected by licensed gas technicians who said that new gas stoves need to be run for at least an hour to burn off the interior coatings, which I then did. (I sure never had that problem with my restored 1953 Wedgwood stove, but whatever.) The next hurdle was the FHA appraiser, who I was afraid would ding the original garage for being skewed, but he appraised the value as sufficient for the loan with no repairs needed at all. What a load off my mind. Closing on Dec. 28th!
The electric must have been updated along with plumbing.
My sisters house was 1902 with still some spool wiring and galvanized plumbing which had to be updated when she sold after husbands death.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
I'm so happy for you! It must be quite a relief. Congrats!

Old 12-14-2018, 10:35 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
The electric must have been updated along with plumbing.
My sisters house was 1902 with still some spool wiring and galvanized plumbing which had to be updated when she sold after husbands death.
I updated all of the plumbing when I bought the house in 2002. The previous owners had installed polybutylene pipe underneath the house, which I was NOT having under any circumstances. Most of the wiring had been changed to Romex, and any of the new circuits I had installed were Romex, but there is still some original 1927 wiring in the baseboards. The original pushbutton light switches operate the foyer light, which was originally the front porch light. I've never had a problem with any of it.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I updated all of the plumbing when I bought the house in 2002. The previous owners had installed polybutylene pipe underneath the house, which I was NOT having under any circumstances. Most of the wiring had been changed to Romex, and any of the new circuits I had installed were Romex, but there is still some original 1927 wiring in the baseboards. The original pushbutton light switches operate the foyer light, which was originally the front porch light. I've never had a problem with any of it.
That would be my concern with old homes if they may have any aluminum, cloth or knob and tube wiring and how that would affect even the option of insuring the home. As well as the plumbing as you mentioned and I also would not want a home in a historic district.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:03 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times
That’s wonderful, congratulations on the quick sale!

Old 12-14-2018, 02:06 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Sorry you had to sell your beloved home, but glad it was a quick and easy process for you!

Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
good for you.
i sold my car with the first offer.
some said i priced it too low.
well, maybe so, but i did not
spend another moment on it.
time is all we have in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate