Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:35 PM
AZ8 AZ8 started this thread

111 posts, read 80,319 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

Made an offer on a home last week. Here are the stats:

Contract price - 395K
Preapproved loan - 300K
Down payment - 105K
3 bedroom/2 bath 1550 sq ft

Appraisal is scheduled for next week. 6 month Comps in the neighborhood are in the 380-410 range. Most fall under 395K. The higher comps are homes with a bit more square footage. Not a lot of comps with the exact square footage. Trying for apples to apples. No foreclosures in the neighborhood.

I have an out with my earnest money, so no big deal. But we really love this house and it will fit perfect with our current situation. This is a solid market, always has been. Great quiet neighborhood. Home values do well here, even during down years.

I’m afraid seller won’t drop to appraisal if in fact that occurs. We do have extra cash, but hate to have to use it.

Anyways, I have a bit of anxiety....lol My only hope is a fair appraisal and no low balling.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 04:59 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Print out the comps that you feel are actual comps and hand them to the appraiser.

It really helps if you do some research and share with them what you have found.

Doing comps requires you to understand pluses and minuses - which anyone can do, but takes some thought. Some houses have garages, some have basements - you have to be able to list the plusses (in this case) . . . and you can write a little narrative indicating why you think the comps are actual comps with your house.

Things to consider:

* Sq. feet of house
* Sq. feet of parcel
* Age of house
* Any remodeling (especially electrical, plumbing, roof, etc.)
* Particulars of neighborhood (quiet street vs. busy, nearby amenities, schools, etc.)
* Condition of house (great move-in condition vs. fixers)
* Any special zoning (i.e. horse property, flood zone, earthquake zone, etc.)

Be nice to the appraiser. Hand him your comps and offer him coffee or water.

Good luck!!!

Old 12-23-2018, 05:02 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Opinion is yes, we all get nervous when we're waiting for appraisal to come back, if it's close. If it comes back low, you can certainly try to negotiate for a lowered price.

However, with your big down payment, the bank is only loaning on $290K. When it comes right down to it, you're OK if appraisal comes back with anything over 290.

You should be fine.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:15 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times
Don't stress.

The appraiser generally doesn't want to go out of his way to kill deals. Based on what little you wrote you will probably be fine.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:17 PM
AZ8 AZ8 started this thread

111 posts, read 80,319 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. The home is in another town, so can’t be there for the appraisal.

Anyways, I’ll chime back in and update the thread once I find out!

Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. The home is in another town, so can’t be there for the appraisal.

Anyways, I’ll chime back in and update the thread once I find out!
Email the comps then.

It's worth the effort if you are worried.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:20 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
The way the system is set up now, I’m not sure how you could email comps to the appraiser. I’m pretty sure they don’t even know the contract price.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:42 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
I have learned not to try to predict how it is in other areas… But at least in our area it would be highly unusual for the buyer or either agent to attend the appraisal or send comps before the appraisal is even done. Appraisers here are now chosen at random by a third-party so agents can no longer choose their appraiser. The buyer, the agents and the lender are now one step removed from the process. The goal is more accurate appraisals, not to lead the appraiser to the value you want. There is a process to seek reconsideration after the report is done, but I’ve never seen them change their appraisal yet.

Just to repeat myself ...there’s little to fear from this appraisal if buyer is really putting $100,000 down. I would hope to shout the appraisal should come back above the loan amount, which is what the lender is most concerned about.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:24 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
I believe it only needs to appraise for at least your loan amount?

Old 12-24-2018, 09:41 AM

127 posts, read 95,043 times
CGab is correct. The primary purpose of the appraisal is to protect the lender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate