Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,443 times

Advertisements

What did you think? Was anything lacking? Was it good or bad? Was there any 'hidden' fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:42 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Run, run, run away from Assist 2 Sell. Lacking is underestimation. Our office closed down within weeks of my listing expiring.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
We have a franchise in our area, it works for some, not for others. Make sure you understand what a limited service agency is going to do for you.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
The folks who bought my house used them. They were not very happy, but did not offer any specifics.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:08 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
We have one in my local market. They could save some money, they could lose some money. Depends on price and seller. Ours has agents that aren't very knowledgable as a whole and I dread when I have to deal with them (I do what I have to for my clients but I know they make my job harder).

Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 AM

431 posts, read 1,641,278 times
Default realtors

I really think I would use a real estate agent who is part of the national association of realtors and are REALTORS tm due to the fact that they are held to a higher standard. now i am not saying that other agents are not held to that high of a standard there are some really great agents who hold themselves to that standard. Interview interview interview. find someone you are comfortable and have confidence in. I hope this helps. I really hope that i have not offended anyone because that was not my intent.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:19 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
We used Assist2Sell when we sold our house in 2005 and the experience was mostly positive. We initially were assigned a realtor who had one foot out the door and was largely absent, but within a couple of weeks we got a new lady who was great and helpful.... I found the closing process pretty straight forward and easy and the price was certainly cheaper than others.

The only "hidden fee" per se was that (help me remember), I believe they advertise selling your home for like $2000 or something??? But their fee actually depends on the price you are selling for. It went up when we broke the $200K sale price. So just make sure you know. their up-front price does vary a bit. They also, IIRC, will list you in the MLS if you wish, but they will charge you for it. Their lower price is in large part because they don't go through the MLS. They advertise their own listings.

Also keep in mind we were selling just barely after the real estate peak, so those were different times. I don't know how well they'd work now to be honest. I'd imagine in an environment for sellers such as this that they may not be the best choice. I'm not sure.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Folks, I am not a franchised Realtor, but there are two things one should know about Assist-2-Sell and all other discount Brokers. 1st) There some very good Realtors who are franchised with Assist-2-Sell. Don't judge an entire franchise by one local office or even one agent in that office. 2nd) You get what you pay for. When you go to a Yugo dealer, you don't expect to get the quality service and attention you might expect at a Mercedes dealer. It takes so much total cash to operate a profitable real estate office. The discount broker's model is that they will sell more houses for less commission. If they don't, then they don't have the money to adequately serve their clients.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:10 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
We used Assist2Sell when we sold our house in 2005 and the experience was mostly positive. We initially were assigned a realtor who had one foot out the door and was largely absent, but within a couple of weeks we got a new lady who was great and helpful.... I found the closing process pretty straight forward and easy and the price was certainly cheaper than others.

The only "hidden fee" per se was that (help me remember), I believe they advertise selling your home for like $2000 or something??? But their fee actually depends on the price you are selling for. It went up when we broke the $200K sale price. So just make sure you know. their up-front price does vary a bit. They also, IIRC, will list you in the MLS if you wish, but they will charge you for it. Their lower price is in large part because they don't go through the MLS. They advertise their own listings.

Also keep in mind we were selling just barely after the real estate peak, so those were different times. I don't know how well they'd work now to be honest. I'd imagine in an environment for sellers such as this that they may not be the best choice. I'm not sure.
If houses were widgets and all were bought and sold for the same price, but one company charged you 5 apples and one company charged you 7 apples, than you could say you made out better by paying 5 apples. But houses are not widgets and a full service firm, with experienced agents and powerful marketing to attract more prospects (the more prospects, the more offers, the more offers, the higher the price) will probably get you a higher sales price than a limited services firm with agents that might not have the same skill set and training opportunities. The limited services companies have to operate on volume to survive (like a fast food franchise). A full service company might have less volume, but can afford to spend more time on each client. For example, would you rather sell your home for 225,000 and pay a higher commission and have an experienced professional at your side every step of the way, or 210,000 and save an apple or 2 and hope for the best?

Old 03-14-2008, 03:27 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali&ajsmom View Post
I really think I would use a real estate agent who is part of the national association of realtors and are REALTORS tm due to the fact that they are held to a higher standard. now i am not saying that other agents are not held to that high of a standard there are some really great agents who hold themselves to that standard. Interview interview interview. find someone you are comfortable and have confidence in. I hope this helps. I really hope that i have not offended anyone because that was not my intent.
I'm going to open a can of worms here, but 82% of MLS's REQUIRE Realtor membership in order to access the MLS. Not that I don't think that being a Realtor is not a good thing, but some agents are members just in order to access the MLS service...Unfortunately it is NOT a guarantee of good service.

I have no experience working with A2S since they just opened here a few months ago. I think you need to interview agents and not companies. One of our WORST companies here is a large national franchise. Going with the big guys isn't a guarantee either.

Find a good agent that you feel comfortable with and you believe will do a good job for you REGARDLESS of the business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate