Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 03:41 PM

147 posts, read 143,188 times

Advertisements

In working with my existing realtor, I've seen many showings. The number is getting to be high enough that my realtor has pointed it out to me and is asking me to maybe consider stepping back altogether if I'm not ready to do something soon, so that I can determine if this is actually something I want to move forward with in life.

On my end this process has frustrating, but I'm not done. I'm beginning to think that it would be nice if I had an RE license as I could just show myself the places that I am interested and then call up my realtor when it's finally time to write a contract.

Is this something that is doable? I'm told its about 3 months of training and $1000 to get an RE license in my state. If this is what I need to do in order to prevent my search from coming to a screeching halt, maybe its worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 03:56 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
No, it isn't. It's not just the time and cost to get the license...it's finding a firm that will hang your license, and paying fees and ongoing dues to at least a few necessities... like firm costs, the NAR (probably) and your local MLS and showing app/service, among others. I don't think many firms are going to want to hang your license without you going through some of their training and mentorship programs, it's not just a way for you to get in houses.

This is your agent's job. If she's getting tired of you looking, have her refer you to someone else... A new agent who wants the miles and experience.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:57 PM

188 posts, read 358,158 times
I was an agent when I bought my current home. I was planning on dropping my license, but held it because I knew I would want to see TONS of houses before buying. There is no way another agent would have done that. Having the access, I could go see as many homes as I wanted on my schedule. There is a lot of fees involved. After you get the license, you have to join the MLS and NAR in most places. You also usually have monthly dues at your office. It takes a few thousand to get going, usually. It depends on what is required in your area.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:03 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
So, you've seen many listings. Obviously there are reason(s) you haven't found a place you're willing to buy. Why is that?

Are the parameters you gave your agent incorrect? If so, fix them.
Does the type of house you want not exist within your budget? If so, increase your budget or save up more $ until you can afford them.
Do you even know what you want? If not, figure that out.
If you are afraid of the commitment, can't make a decision, and keep second guessing yourself, you'll need to find out why.

IMHO, those are questions you need to ask yourself. Becoming a realtor may not change anything.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:14 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Can't you also be the "buyers agent" for your own home purchase? So you would make money off that to finance the fee for the license.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:39 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
OP: No. You actually have to do a lot of study and take a board exam to become a Realtor. They say anyone with a pulse can do it, but you really do have to put time in to study.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:14 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Do whatever you want. Are you looking input or vindication for what you really want to do?

Old 03-27-2021, 06:24 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post
In working with my existing realtor, I've seen many showings. The number is getting to be high enough that my realtor has pointed it out to me and is asking me to maybe consider stepping back altogether if I'm not ready to do something soon, so that I can determine if this is actually something I want to move forward with in life.

On my end this process has frustrating, but I'm not done. I'm beginning to think that it would be nice if I had an RE license as I could just show myself the places that I am interested and then call up my realtor when it's finally time to write a contract.

Is this something that is doable? I'm told its about 3 months of training and $1000 to get an RE license in my state. If this is what I need to do in order to prevent my search from coming to a screeching halt, maybe its worth it.
How many is "many" showings? Do you know specifically what you do want and don't want? Can you afford to buy what you do want... assuming that you know what that is? How much can you afford to pay? Do you have a house that you need to sell first? Are you financially capable of buying now if you found what you want today? What is your motivation and time table for buying? If you have a spouse/partner, are they on board with the idea of buying? When would you like to move? When do you NEED to move? What is it that you don't like about the houses you've seen so far?

Last edited by Chas863; 03-27-2021 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-27-2021, 07:15 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post

Maybe fire this realtor and get one that is more patient or has a better feel for what you want?

We had a pretty good realtor for our current house, though she did show us a few duds before we finally found something acceptable.

Once we found something, she really went to bat for us, got them to absorb the cost of a leaning tree in the back yard that needed to be removed, and some other things. The sellers wanted to hang onto this artsy hanging light thing - fine with us - but our realtor said "fine, but you must put something in its place, don't just leave wires hanging there" (the sellers had already moved out of state, and just ended up leaving it). Stuff like that.

I personally wouldn't have thought of things like that and I think it takes years of experience to be a competent realtor, like any other profession.

Getting your license seems like the tip of the iceberg. I would just find another realtor.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:09 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
How many homes has your agent shown you and over what period of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate