Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 06:21 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I heard something terrible has happened to her. She is going to have a up hill battle. Good for her.
You seem like a miserable person. Here you're happy about something bad happening to a person. You're spreading political lies for an agenda on another thread.

Whatever is wrong in your life, I hope you figure out and become a happier person moving forward. It's too short to get hung up on the negativity. If you struggle with things daily, get professional help. I hope you have a really great 2019. Focus on the many positive things around you and quit dwelling on the negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 06:13 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You seem like a miserable person. Here you're happy about something bad happening to a person. You're spreading political lies for an agenda on another thread.

Whatever is wrong in your life, I hope you figure out and become a happier person moving forward. It's too short to get hung up on the negativity. If you struggle with things daily, get professional help. I hope you have a really great 2019. Focus on the many positive things around you and quit dwelling on the negative.
I had a bad buying experience. It sounds like you are projecting and you are miserable. I am a straight shooter. It angers me people are conniving. The truth is not politics.

I wish you could have had the same experience from beginning to end so we could compare notes. I am still dealing with these lunatics as of today.

Being nice does not seem to work so Katie paid a visit. All should be well now.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
We haven’t had very good luck: the three houses we’ve gone to contract on as buyers, (including the current one), end up turning into a **** show as soon as we get in contract. The first two times we had to sue to recoup the money spent on inspections and lawyers fees. Maybe this third time will be a charm...

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 01-08-2019 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
I didn’t have any problems. It went very smoothly. I probably could’ve made a lower offer or asked for additional repairs to be made, but no big deal.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
1971-We looked at one house, and bought it. We had to pay points on our loan, because interest rates in MO were capped. I remember nothing more, honestly.

1974-we had a veteran realtor who made things easy.

1986-What a mess. We moved to a house on 3 acres and on closing we found out that sellers had not gotten the well inspected. It took our experienced realtor, who was selling our house, bullying the broker for the office which was selling, to get a deal. Well failed inspection, by the way. We agree that we should never have bought the house. It was a money pit.

2012-When we finally found our house, the transaction took place smoothly with no problem.

In 1974, we had a bad experience with selling our first house that involved a realtor (not ours) who refused to deal with minority person who was buying our buyer’s house. It involved a nasty surprise at our closing. But OP asked about buying experience.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
We haven’t had very good luck: the three houses we’ve gone to contract on as buyers, (including the current one), end up turning into a **** show as soon as we get in contract. The first two times we had to sue to recoup the money spent on inspections and lawyers fees. Maybe this third time will be a charm...
Wow! I am sorry that happened.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
1971-We looked at one house, and bought it. We had to pay points on our loan, because interest rates in MO were capped. I remember nothing more, honestly.

1974-we had a veteran realtor who made things easy.

1986-What a mess. We moved to a house on 3 acres and on closing we found out that sellers had not gotten the well inspected. It took our experienced realtor, who was selling our house, bullying the broker for the office which was selling, to get a deal. Well failed inspection, by the way. We agree that we should never have bought the house. It was a money pit.

2012-When we finally found our house, the transaction took place smoothly with no problem.

In 1974, we had a bad experience with selling our first house that involved a realtor (not ours) who refused to deal with minority person who was buying our buyer’s house. It involved a nasty surprise at our closing. But OP asked about buying experience.
That is terrible. They just thought I was stupid. Thank God I can read, write, add and subtract. They tried it all. It was exhausting. Closing was smooth because I was on top of things.

Do not trust! Read! Read! Add and subtract!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:56 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times
First house - Went smooth. Sold the house four years later for a 100K net profit. Mortgage company calculated escrow wrong and I got hit with a 4K tax bill one month after closing. Realtor said he reviewed the closing docs and everything "looks good". First lesson in trusting anyone involved in home sales.

Second house (my current home) - Absolute disaster and left a bad taste in my mouth.

-We liked the house and submit an offer for full asking price with 20% down. The seller's realtor says thanks for the offer then proceeds to stall on giving it to his client. I ask my realtor WTF where is the response and she tells me "oh, he's meeting with them in two days to discuss it". Now, I know agents like to think everyone who is not an agent can't possibly understand the cards at play (that's sarcasm), but I knew immediately the seller's agent was stalling to get an Offer from someone he was working with to get a dual commission. When I pressed my agent she got mad and defensive about how no agent would do that. Anyways, we lost the house after waiting three days. I was pissed but life moved on. Two weeks later the house fell out of contract and I stepped in.

-House inspection time comes. My agent has someone who is "good" and highly recommended. I pay him $600 for an inspection. House comes back OK according to him. I do the walk through and he shows me the problem areas. I came to found out that he was playing me and intentionally steering me away from things he didn't want to do.

-We close. After all is said and done the commissions on the deal total up to 60K which irritates me to no end. So I spent almost 75K just in commissions and closing. WTF.

-A week after moving in I smell something like sewer water coming from under my house. I crawl under there and my kitchen drain line is not connected to anything and has been dumping water under my house for months. I say WTF and email my home inspector. He comes back and tells me that he couldn't crawl under due to home inspector standards. I call bull**** and look it up myself and find out he's lying to me. Once he realizes I won't just roll over, he meets with me and gives me 1K in cash to go away and keep quiet. I later demo'd my kitchen and found rotted floor joists that should have been found had someone crawled under my house. His excuse was "well when you read the 60 page report you should have realized no one went under there and then did it yourself if it mattered so much". We exchanged some words and I had to threaten to go to small claims before he paid me.

I guess part of this is my own fault for trusting anyone involved in the sales process. I've grown to have a huge distrust for the entire industry and think its about as slimy as used car buying. A totally stressful and unpleasant process that is designed to take your money.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
First house - Went smooth. Sold the house four years later for a 100K net profit. Mortgage company calculated escrow wrong and I got hit with a 4K tax bill one month after closing. Realtor said he reviewed the closing docs and everything "looks good". First lesson in trusting anyone involved in home sales.

Second house (my current home) - Absolute disaster and left a bad taste in my mouth.

-We liked the house and submit an offer for full asking price with 20% down. The seller's realtor says thanks for the offer then proceeds to stall on giving it to his client. I ask my realtor WTF where is the response and she tells me "oh, he's meeting with them in two days to discuss it". Now, I know agents like to think everyone who is not an agent can't possibly understand the cards at play (that's sarcasm), but I knew immediately the seller's agent was stalling to get an Offer from someone he was working with to get a dual commission. When I pressed my agent she got mad and defensive about how no agent would do that. Anyways, we lost the house after waiting three days. I was pissed but life moved on. Two weeks later the house fell out of contract and I stepped in.

I guess part of this is my own fault for trusting anyone involved in the sales process. I've grown to have a huge distrust for the entire industry and think its about as slimy as used car buying. A totally stressful and unpleasant process that is designed to take your money.

This happened to me more than once. Note to anyone on here-- if you submit a 20% offer at asking or cash, the seller's agent will ONLY stall if they think they can make more money off of someone else. I have been shouted down on this board saying it doesn't ever happen. My ass it doesn't. It happens ALL THE TIME. Unless you are in a market where multiple offers and thousands over asking is the norm, having a delay on hearing back on an offer like the above is nonsense. In this age of technology you better believe realtors can make time to present that. Game. Playing.

I am sorry this happened to you. I have had this happen to me twice. Both times I withdrew my offer and walked. Both times the house fell out of the "better" contract. I let it go figuring I wanted nothing to do with that seller's agent. Now when I submit offers, I put a clause in that they are only good for 48 hours unless . I need to hear something-- yes, no, counter-- or I walk.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:19 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This happened to me more than once. Note to anyone on here-- if you submit a 20% offer at asking or cash, the seller's agent will ONLY stall if they think they can make more money off of someone else. I have been shouted down on this board saying it doesn't ever happen. My ass it doesn't. It happens ALL THE TIME. Unless you are in a market where multiple offers and thousands over asking is the norm, having a delay on hearing back on an offer like the above is nonsense. In this age of technology you better believe realtors can make time to present that. Game. Playing.

I am sorry this happened to you. I have had this happen to me twice. Both times I withdrew my offer and walked. Both times the house fell out of the "better" contract. I let it go figuring I wanted nothing to do with that seller's agent. Now when I submit offers, I put a clause in that they are only good for 48 hours unless . I need to hear something-- yes, no, counter-- or I walk.
Exactly. Its total and utter bull crap that agents are doing anything else besides trying to get themselves more money. The house in my scenario had zero offers after a weekend of open houses. I came in with full asking and 20% down on a listing price near 900K. I had the cash and means to buy and all of a sudden this grease ball is stalling saying he'll meet in a few days to present the offer. Did his cell phone and email not work? How hard is it to pick up the phone and tell someone they have an offer for you? Looking back I should have put a 24 hour expiration but my agent wasn't the pushy type and didn't like being "mean" to people. But, she came highly recommended (don't they all).

I still have the selling agent's response in my email:
"Thank you for your well written offer. I am meeting my clients for dinner on Thursday and will discuss this with them and then get back to you". It was Monday when I submitted it so I had to wait until Friday. And people wonder why the general public abhors the real estate profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate