Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:03 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times

Advertisements

First floor could be cheaper due to less or no view, and possible less secure if ground level. You'll probably find tenants easier than buyers. Of course, if it's priced right, you'll find either/both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Do you mean that big giant monster thing on Rampart and Alta I think it is? I feel bad for those who had their views ruined and have to look at that thing.

I think you are saying it is ultra luxurious. No matter what the level of luxuriousness it's still an eye sore. How that thing ever got past zoning is beyond me. It belongs in NYC rather then here.

Any idea what they cost? And whatever it is, one could probably buy one of of those expensive ones right on the strip for the same money.
Cost from 1.7 to about 22 million. HOA fees about 1600 per month.

There are really no equivalents on the strip though the better turnberry units are close.

These are meant to be lived in rather than visited.

And I find them rather interesting. They screwed up nobodies view.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:20 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
Condominium does refer to a legal form of ownership.

It seems that in some areas, there tend to be physical differences between buildings that are built with the intention of creating leasehold spaces ("apartments") and those built with the intention that the units will be sold to individual owners ("condominiums"). Sometimes the former may be converted into the latter form of ownership.

In other places, I suspect that there are poorly-constructed buildings originally created as "condos", and very well-built buildings that are owned and leased out as "apartments".

In some places there may be more building code restrictions on "condos", that might lead to differences in quality or construction.

Condos are usually individually owned, but in a particular complex, a majority of the units could be rented out (by the owners) to tenants. In that case the activities of the tenants will likely be similar to those renting similarly-priced and located apartments (the occupants don't have the "pride of ownership" that may differentiate some owner-occupied condo buildings from rented apartment buildings).

Real estate is local. Laws vary greatly from state to state. As do common practices.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:21 PM

739 posts, read 830,049 times
See Olecapt, people from all over the country agree that condo's are a legal form of ownership - it doesn't matter what the type of construction. And no, I've not built tens of thousands - only a few thousand. But it was enough to learn the correct answer! And in the original post he wasn't wondering which to buy - he merely asked the difference between the two.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
See Olecapt, people from all over the country agree that condo's are a legal form of ownership - it doesn't matter what the type of construction. And no, I've not built tens of thousands - only a few thousand. But it was enough to learn the correct answer! And in the original post he wasn't wondering which to buy - he merely asked the difference between the two.

And I too agree that it is a form of ownership. It also however sometimes a significant difference in costruction techniques. Otherwise why would we all disclose a conversion. Think about it ... if all dwelling units were created the same we would not disclose that some were originally apartments would we?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And I too agree that it is a form of ownership. It also however sometimes a significant difference in costruction techniques.
Nope

Condo is merely a form of ownership -

Old 04-09-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nope

Condo is merely a form of ownership -

Then why would we disclose conversions?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Then why would we disclose conversions?
Nothing more than a method of construction - and that they were not originally built in a condo ownership form.

Condo has nothing to do with construction - it is merely a form of ownership - airspace plus TIC ownership of common areas

Old 04-09-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nothing more than a method of construction - and that they were not originally built in a condo ownership form.

Condo has nothing to do with construction - it is merely a form of ownership - airspace plus TIC ownership of common areas
But that of course is the issue. The guys question was are condos and apartments the same. The answer is no...they are not. Condos are built generally different than apartments.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Condos are built generally different than apartments.
No, they are not built differently - with one possible exception: Seperate metering (electric)

The UBC and ANSI make no distinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate