Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,832 times

Advertisements

Okay, I assume leasing agent and leasing consultant are the same thing? Please correct me if I'm wrong. What's the difference between that and a real estate agent? Is an agent the same thing as a broker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Okay, I assume leasing agent and leasing consultant are the same thing?
Those both sound like the "feel good" titles given to the middle aged ladies
that work in the office at apartment complexes.

Quote:
Please correct me...
The distinction is about ownership and the persons relationship to ownership.

If she is the owner or an employee... you can call her the Queen of Sheeba.
If they are not... then they better be LICENSED whatever they are called.

hth

Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,361 times
Quote:
Okay, I assume leasing agent and leasing consultant are the same thing? Please correct me if I'm wrong. What's the difference between that and a real estate agent? Is an agent the same thing as a broker?
I think a leasing agent works for the management company of the apartment community. They get paid to get you to sign the lease. I've had some pretty pushy leasing agents. They are sales people.

A real estate agent works for a real estate company. I've had a real estate agent find an apartment for me, but I didn't have to pay her anything. Maybe the complex gave her something. I don't know. She told me that she was willing to help in the hopes that if I knew someone who was buying or selling a property, I'd give her consideration.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:14 PM

43,273 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I think a leasing agent works for the management company of the apartment community. They get paid to get you to sign the lease. I've had some pretty pushy leasing agents. They are sales people.

A real estate agent works for a real estate company. I've had a real estate agent find an apartment for me, but I didn't have to pay her anything. Maybe the complex gave her something. I don't know. She told me that she was willing to help in the hopes that if I knew someone who was buying or selling a property, I'd give her consideration.
That pretty much describes it.

Apartment leasing agent/consultants employed by the apartment ownership do not need real estate licenses. They are there solely to sell the product they represent, and nothing else.

A real estate agent can represent you and your interests in a wide variety of real estate transactions. Oddly enough, in NC, agents have no standard format to represent you in negotiating a rental property lease.
But, having that real estate license increases the responsibility of the agent to be fair and honest.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM

I was asking because I was recently apartment hunting and the person in the leasing center of the apartment complex who showed the available apartments was a leasing consultant.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,785 times
LC stays inside, RA goes outside, literally and figuratively.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM

What about the National Apartment Leasing Professional (NALP) title? Is that like a license for leasing consultants?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
What about the National Apartment Leasing Professional....
A bunch of those middle aged ladies that work in the office at apartment complexes
all got together and made up a 3rd party entity for an even fancier "feel good" title.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
A bunch of those middle aged ladies that work in the office at apartment complexes
all got together and made up a 3rd party entity for an even fancier "feel good" title.
There is a National Apartment Association though.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
The Apartment Association offers classes in specific areas of property management, from leasing to maintenance and much in between. NALP is just a designation for someone who has taken the classes. They will possibly have a better knowledge of laws pertaining to leasing and other fun stuff, like balloons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate