Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 03:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times

Advertisements

I'm not buying a spec home in a development with an HOA. I just want a house on a 2-lane road.

Regardless of $/SF, I want to be barely within city limits, with public water/sewer, natural gas...

I prefer gas for range, oven, dryer, heat, hot water, grill (LP>NG conversion) and I'd install a generator that ran off of NG, so I didn't have to deal with a finite supply of aging fuel in an underground tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 05:54 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Depending on what you want, anywhere from $70/ SF to $ 150/SF.

The majority of build-your-owns here are right around $100/SF.

A 3-bedroom/ 2.5 bath with a 2 car garage (2500 SF) will run you around $110,000 which is quite a bit higher than buying pre-existing housing here. Still, $110K for a house of that size is a bargain.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
It crazy how much it has gone up due to the increase in building supplies. About 4 years ago, I could have a house built for $65 sq foot. That same house is now pushing over $80 sq foot. I am speaking of Greenville, SC. Now I am in Asheville, NC and that's a whole other story. The least my builder would be able to do for the same home was $120 sq ft which is considered cheap here. The average builder is $150-$200 sq foot. That is for a no frills home. Start adding upgrades and it goes up from there. A modular has now become the most cost effective way to build a new home in my area. Don't confuse a modular home with a manufactured home either. For a base plan without any changes, I can have a modular built under $100 sq foot turn key.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:36 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
We're in NW Indiana, about 35 miles SE of Chicago. There's a lot of new construction going up here. Range is about $125 sq ft for builder grade basic finishes to $230 sq ft for high end finishes. This includes land and usually 3 car garages and full basements.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Average here is around $445.
Since you are a moderator of the Hawaii forum I'll assume that is for Hawaii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here the state average is $150/sf, but here in the Seattle metro more like $200. The land is also much more expensive, so a typical new home including land at $1.1 million is about $300/sf.
I'm talking without land
and I'm hearing 200 for Traverse City MI, dang, in the same ballpark as Seattle? Is that a tract home or custom no frills build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The actual average selling price of basic tract housing has been pumped up into the mid $200s.
Should have specified not tract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In this are (central SC) there are a lot of new developments running about $120 per sq ft, builder grade, formica counters, etc. for 1500sq ft on a small lot. $150 per sq ft get you better fixtures and a larger lot. $200 per sq ft get a large new home, upmarket finishes, on a large lot.

https://www.mungo.com/communities/co...-west-columbia
Yea, not developments but yes to custom with builder grade otherwise the fancy stuff you can't compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
About $125 to $150 a square foot. Just the building, not anything else. No land, no driveway, no utilities.
Interesting, I guess I usually hear a guestimate with everything included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm not buying a spec home in a development with an HOA. I just want a house on a 2-lane road.

Regardless of $/SF, I want to be barely within city limits, with public water/sewer, natural gas...

I prefer gas for range, oven, dryer, heat, hot water, grill (LP>NG conversion) and I'd install a generator that ran off of NG, so I didn't have to deal with a finite supply of aging fuel in an underground tank.
Your post reminds me of that commercial, the one where the friend asks the other friend to call contractors, get at least 3 estimates and do all the work for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Depending on what you want, anywhere from $70/ SF to $ 150/SF.
The majority of build-your-owns here are right around $100/SF.
A 3-bedroom/ 2.5 bath with a 2 car garage (2500 SF) will run you around $110,000 which is quite a bit higher than buying pre-existing housing here. Still, $110K for a house of that size is a bargain.
That seems cheap. Erie PA right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It crazy how much it has gone up due to the increase in building supplies. About 4 years ago, I could have a house built for $65 sq foot. That same house is now pushing over $80 sq foot. I am speaking of Greenville, SC. Now I am in Asheville, NC and that's a whole other story. The least my builder would be able to do for the same home was $120 sq ft which is considered cheap here. The average builder is $150-$200 sq foot. That is for a no frills home. Start adding upgrades and it goes up from there. A modular has now become the most cost effective way to build a new home in my area. Don't confuse a modular home with a manufactured home either. For a base plan without any changes, I can have a modular built under $100 sq foot turn key.
I talked to a modular place last summer. The price was about the same but it went in faster. That was the biggest draw. Now if builder prices go up faster than modular that may change some but I got the impression that they were usually pretty close. The only think I didn't like was you have no control over what "builder" you get. The modular company assigns one of their their guys who general contractors all the ground work, utilities, setting the house, finishing. He sucks you are sort of stuck and you have to deal with the modular retailer to complain. Its another layer of bureacracy.

Throwing out Hawaii because it is sort of a special case. Seems like erie PA is lowest with 120? 150-200 mid to normal. 200 normal normal

Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
a pre-existing home here runs 500 dollars a sq ft ....new would be more

https://qns.com/story/2018/08/23/nea...eid=e6b58712d9

Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I don't know where "here" is mathjack but maybe New York City? Sort of like Hawaii, a special case.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:31 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't know where "here" is mathjack but maybe New York City? Sort of like Hawaii, a special case.
a borough of nyc -queens .

Old 01-27-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I talked to a modular place last summer. The price was about the same but it went in faster. That was the biggest draw. Now if builder prices go up faster than modular that may change some but I got the impression that they were usually pretty close. The only think I didn't like was you have no control over what "builder" you get. The modular company assigns one of their their guys who general contractors all the ground work, utilities, setting the house, finishing. He sucks you are sort of stuck and you have to deal with the modular retailer to complain. Its another layer of bureacracy.

The place that I mentioned allows you to make changes and will allow you to do the other you mentioned on your own. (ground work, HVAC, electric, plumbing, etc) It even saves you $3000 because they no longer have to sub these things out and hire a site manager to overlook everything. The only thing they would do is build, deliver and finish. It would be my choice which way I would want to do it. Of course, when you change things, the price increases. I know you said prices were comparable last year but you might want to check again this year. There were four price increases for building materials from what I understand.

There is a reason Erie is the lowest cost mentioned. I used to live in NEPA and no, it's not Erie but similar. The weather and economy is awful! Just something to consider. Just because it's cheap to build in an area doesn't mean it's desirable to live there.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a pre-existing home here runs 500 dollars a sq ft ....new would be more

https://qns.com/story/2018/08/23/nea...eid=e6b58712d9
That's insane. No wonder why you say it's better rent. Maybe it is with prices that high. That's not the norm in most other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate