Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:58 PM

169 posts, read 160,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I sound like a normal guy not looking for douchebags telling me they have no dogs, no service animals and showing up with a horse. Get off your high horse. I have great room mates, just wanting great people. Someone tries to fraud a legal system, I will make them want to leave. evict them the very first month there. Not my problem they want to lug around a damn dog for a horse. Its people like this that are ruining America. Get off your high horse.

I will stick with word of mouth for good tenants, if you aren't a good tenant for this place, pass. no reason needed to be given. Room is suddenly unavailable for remodeling. ie. scape out. Just wanting good honest people, the people who make the cut have it great, I have pretty much a luxury house, no room for a dishonest person here.
Do you have any legal contracts, written residential lease agreements, or anything of the sort? Just listing an ad on Craigslist and then deleting isn’t going to cut it for you. Your only 20 years old, you don’t know what kind of people are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 07:02 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
Do you have any legal contracts, written residential lease agreements, or anything of the sort? Just listing an ad on Craigslist and then deleting isn’t going to cut it for you. Your only 20 years old, you don’t know what kind of people are out there.
Zero contracts, zero agreements, zero lease. Just verbal pay me on 1st, dont be a crap person. The ad could of been a contract I guess? which was like the following.

My ad was literally, I have a 3k sq ft home in nice higher end neighborhood 4 bedroom house looking for 2 good people to share it with. Respectudl tidy, clean, all utilities included, blah blah. No animals or pets, I have a cat that has free roam of house and comes and goes. Good people only, email me your name number and a small tidbit about yourself.

Had literally like 100-200 emails in like 3 days. I just ignored majority, replied to the few, met the girl, told her no when she showed up with a horse ready to move in. It was a verbal I like you, come out. showed up with boxes and crap. the other guys was way better, met them few days later and they both moved in.

deleted ad, no contract, nothing signed, nothing ever discussed via text. just, meet up here, talk etc. I mean, the two people I have are wonderful, always billed on time, they pay me around 1st, or a week early. I never have to ask everything goes as it should.

You are correct, one spoiled nasty person could be a nuisance to me. However, let me ask you this. I mean maybe I can I claim ptsd or fear or something on top of allergies towards dogs if she would of tried ? Not saying I do or dont, thats something personal. right? All theoretical of course.

I dont see how a court could allow a person them to stay here if I am afraid of dogs. I've been bitten by them when I was a police officer, could easily claim something ridiculous like that. (its all documented the times) so. to my defense this should be legal defense for me against anyone trying to home a dog in my pad against my will.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

You are correct, one spoiled nasty person could be a nuisance to me. However, let me ask you this. I mean maybe I can I claim ptsd or fear or something on top of allergies towards dogs if she would of tried ? Not saying I do or dont, thats something personal. right? All theoretical of course.
So ... theoretically of course ... you don't want people who are gonna "fraud" the system, but here you are trying to come up with ways to "fraud" the system instead of just doing what 95% of landlords do and having a lease.

Quote:
I dont see how a court could allow a person them to stay here if I am afraid of dogs. I've been bitten by them when I was a police officer, could easily claim something ridiculous like that. (its all documented the times) so. to my defense this should be legal defense for me against anyone trying to home a dog in my pad against my will.
You think it's gonna be easier to go to court than to be smart and proactive and have a lease?

Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So ... theoretically of course ... you don't want people who are gonna "fraud" the system, but here you are trying to come up with ways to "fraud" the system instead of just doing what 95% of landlords do and having a lease.

You think it's gonna be easier to go to court than to be smart and proactive and have a lease?

I do not like dogs, so its not fraud. I am just using the system against a possibly of a lunatic trying to move a horse into my home. I will make a lease one day, but I dont care who arrives with a service dog, they will get rejected regardless. I cannot and will not allow a pooch in this house. So I need to find out how to prevent this in the future, you have opened my eyes. Money is no object, I will spend 10x more to keep a dog out legally than let them move in. I do not want them to win in a situation like this. Just hope it never comes to that.

Time to do some research for the great state of ohio.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

I dont care who arrives with a service dog, they will get rejected regardless.
Wow, so you really don't know.

Quote:

I cannot and will not allow a pooch in this house. So I need to find out how to prevent this in the future, you have opened my eyes. Money is no object, I will spend 10x more to keep a dog out legally than let them move in. I do not want them to win in a situation like this.
Good luck

As long as you know that putting an ad on Craigslist and saying, "Don't be a crap person ... " is not enough.

Quote:
Time to do some research for the great state of ohio.
I suggest you start with the difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Wow, so you really don't know.

Good luck

As long as you know that putting an ad on Craigslist and saying, "Don't be a crap person ... " is not enough.

Alright, I hear you. Say 100 people email me, I meet a few of them, the first one who is qualified, I just dont like, I have the right to say sorry, this isn't a good fit for you no? The next person same qualifications but I like them, I let them move in. OR I simply say I;ll contact you, and I pass on them and let new guy in after them. Do they have a case since I skipped the first qualified person just didn't like them and let the 2nd in line in.

What kind of recourse could they possibly do? I dont understand how they have a case if they didn't sign a lease or anything to move in. Why am I not allowed to pick and choose my tenants? Just because they show up, have money doesn't mean I have to allow them to move in.

I am not trying to be a dick. I am trying to learn for future. I dont like losing money as much as next person. Problem is, I am not allowed to ask for paperwork on a service dog correct? But a ESA has rights too from what I read, even though they just print out a certification online for 10 bucks, congratulations. your giant face eating pittbull is now ESA or your giant peacock or the guy with crocodile I saw a few days ago on news. He walks the stupid thing on a leash.

there's far too many protections for people trying to game the system to their benefit to move in. Heck on here in the renting section I see threads all the time about people withholding info deliberately to get allowed into rentals then bam, brings dog. Happened to me, I cannot understand why they think its acceptable and not disgraced by it. They should be shamed. Just be honest about it up front and find a place where animals are allowed.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:18 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I’ve been tired of renting, but can’t justify buying right now. With buying, most of your payments go towards interest the first 5 years. Then you have upfront costs to buy and sell, property taxes, repairs, higher costs for heating/cooling, immobility, etc. I’m also single, but if I got married in upcoming years, I would want to sell and get a big house or maybe the girl would already have a house. Then I’m losing money.

I was thinking if I got a 3 bedroom house, I could rent out a room, but I’m not sure how the demand would be and the trouble.
If you buy a townhouse or condo; a lot of the maintenance worries you have are mitigated (not all of them; but many of the major ones). It's true you still pay mostly interest for a the first few years but if you are in an area with even modest appreciation and you'd be paying rent anyways....you would likely still come out "ahead" after not too long.

I'm a single guy too and was in a very similar situation.

I bought a condo about two and a half years ago and have been renting the spare bedroom to a roommate for the majority of that time. His rent covers almost 90% of my mortgage payment. Kind of the best set-up I could have asked for financially as a bachelor.

If I do meet the future Mrs. TarHeelNick and she has a nicer/larger place....cool! We move in there; I caneasily rent out this place for decent cash-flo

Biggest advice I'd have in the renting-out-a-room scenario is to thoroughly VET potential tenants. Interview, background check, ask for references; etc.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:52 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I would consider if the house had an in-law suite. Bedroom, bath room, kitchen, sitting area, own entrance, own parking space. No sharing of any kind.
This is why some people buy a duplex and then rent out the other unit.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I’ve been tired of renting, but can’t justify buying right now. With buying, most of your payments go towards interest the first 5 years. Then you have upfront costs to buy and sell, property taxes, repairs, higher costs for heating/cooling, immobility, etc. I’m also single, but if I got married in upcoming years, I would want to sell and get a big house or maybe the girl would already have a house. Then I’m losing money.

I was thinking if I got a 3 bedroom house, I could rent out a room, but I’m not sure how the demand would be and the trouble.
When I was 22 I got a three bedroom and finished off the third floor and converted the dining room to a bedroom making it a 6 bedroom (plus one above the garage).

I rented each room out for $700/month. Didn't have to really work, but still did just lived for "free". Was okay when I was younger.

Still have it now with just me and complain about the monthly payment every time I need to make it, but in the process of splitting three lots off and going to sell it next summer, and the three buildable lots that are the last in the neighborhood.

Honestly best investment I've made. All told in 7 years probably making a half million off it between actual cash at sale and value (from not paying rent for years).

For you... I wouldn't go that far... 3 bedroom is much more manageable. Depending on your area (mine is mostly older homes) if you're worried about repairs look for a newer home. Typically if you get a brand new one you should be set on repairs for at least five years (general rule of thumb). You pay property taxes as it is in your rent. You basically pay all those costs plus some if you're renting, your landlords doing it for a profit.

The immobility sucks, but is again location dependent. My area homes are selling like hotcakes and will continue for the foreseeable future. If houses sat for a while then yeah, be more hesitant.

New girl I've been seeing has a duplex. Rents out the one side and lives in the other cheaply. She could always sell it or just rent out both sides if she were to leave it.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
You have to be careful playing around between your primary and rental property .. you can end up cheating yourself out of loads of tax free profit down the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate