Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 08:39 AM

28,559 posts, read 18,560,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'm so serious about this that I don't seriously date women who can't see themselves living in the (or at least a) city long-term. Philly schools are better than what they were when I was growing up in the 2000s. I could easily move to Spruce Hill, Queen Village, Fishtown, etc. and send my future kid to a quality school such as Penn Alexander, Meredith, Adaire, etc. Also, for those who know about Philly, the crime is HIGHLY concentrated to certain neighborhoods, and more so to certain blocks. Being the victim of a crime is literally the last thing on my mind, and I've been to all Philly neighborhoods at all hours (I was walking along Kensington Ave to get to Somerset late last night). Even so, my West Philly neighborhood is quiet and relatively crime-free. There are plenty of neighborhoods where one could raise a kid worry-free.
LOL,

Young men would live in a cardboard box if women would let them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 AM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, right off the bat I would strongly challenge your assumption that a house built in 1991-95 "likely needs updating". I grant you that several mechanical items may be nearing the end of life (HVAC components, dishwasher, roof) but there is no reason on earth (except out of control consumptionism and HGTV) that a 28 year old house cannot serve any REASONABLE person's needs perfectly well, simply by replacing things that wear out with similar items, as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Can't rep you again, but wish I could. I definitely agree. HGTV has really harmed people in this way, IMO. I used to like HGTV, but as time has passed I see it's harmful side more and more.
I was trying to verbalize the above but you guys did it better than I could have. I've noticed that many of those who insist that this or that in a house looks " dated" and has to be replaced are also in that group that maintains that people who buy new cars are just keeping up with their friends/neighbors.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,468,848 times
Quote:
I'm so serious about this that I don't seriously date women who can't see themselves living in the (or at least a) city long-term. Philly schools are better than what they were when I was growing up in the 2000s. I could easily move to Spruce Hill, Queen Village, Fishtown, etc. and send my future kid to a quality school such as Penn Alexander, Meredith, Adaire, etc. Also, for those who know about Philly, the crime is HIGHLY concentrated to certain neighborhoods, and more so to certain blocks. Being the victim of a crime is literally the last thing on my mind, and I've been to all Philly neighborhoods at all hours (I was walking along Kensington Ave to get to Somerset late last night). Even so, my West Philly neighborhood is quiet and relatively crime-free. There are plenty of neighborhoods where one could raise a kid worry-free.
I lived in Philly in our 20s. The very wealthy can have a great life in Philly, like the folks in those big townhouses on Delancey and stuff. All the money in the world to renovate, and lake/shore houses to escape to in the summer. Private schools. Yeah, that's a nice way to live, but we could have never afforded that, so off to the suburbs we went once kids came along.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:44 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I always laugh at cathedral ceilings. All that wasted heat 20 ft up there, benefiting nobody. Wasteful and expensive.
I have one with 18 ft ceilings like that... a very dated Y2K design and it wastes cubic footage. But the design works well in Houston, where you'd want to keep the heat away from you 11 months of the year.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:51 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,626,005 times
Quote:
I've had my license since I was 16 (I'm 23 now). To this day, I still rent cars when it comes time to visit my best friends in rural Northeast PA. Why is not liking/wanting a car such a foreign concept to some people? Motorists always try to present cars as a symbol of freedom when they really symbolize entrapment to me. When I'm on SEPTA, I can relax, sleep, listen to music, read a book, and many other things. When I'm walking or riding my bike/skateboard, I also feel the same sense of freedom and serenity. Cars are also a pain to own and operate in an urban area. I don't want to have to drive in traffic, look for parking, and potentially pay for it when transit will get me there faster, cheaper, and without the hassle of parking.

I hear you. I live in the DC area and here, a house/townhouse over 1500+ sq ft is almost a million dollars in the city or border cities (Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, etc). I think if I could stay in the city, I would, but there's no way I'm paying $1 million for a 1400 sq ft 3 bedroom townhouse.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,080,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post

But 20-year-old kitchens and bathrooms around me are considered a gut job.

Even finishes from the early 2000s are considered dated now and are taking a big hit on price.

Not by everyone, I hope. It really makes me sad to see a whole generation of first time buyers so manipulated into thinking that way.

So many first time buyers complain because they feel they can't buy a home. And they whine that we "were privileged" to buy our starter home when we did.

But do they realize why we were able to do it? Because we didn't insist on a house having the latest "style". We bought a house that was 25 years old and had the original kitchen, bathroom, finishes, etc. OMG it even had wallpaper that we had to take down ourselves, perish the thought! And we didn't feel like we needed to remodel right away, either, because having the latest style sanctioned by a tv station hadn't been drummed into our brains as being an important thing. Thank god for that.

This whole idea that completely functional features "need a gut job because it's dated" is wasteful thinking. Manipulative marketing at it's finest; it must be true because they keep hearing it repeated on HGTV.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 02-06-2019 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 AM

28,559 posts, read 18,560,412 times
Quote:
By whom?

Not by everyone (at least, so I hope).

So many first time buyers complain because they feel they can't buy a home. And they whine that we "were privileged" to buy our starter home when we did.

But do they realize why we were able to do it? Because we didn't insist on a house having the latest "style". We bought a house that was 25 years old and had the original kitchen, bathroom, finishes, etc. OMG it even had wallpaper that we had to take down ourselves, perish the thought! And we didn't feel like we needed to remodel right away, either, because having the latest style sanctioned by a tv station hadn't been drummed into our brains as being an important thing. Thank god for that.

This whole idea that completely functional features "need a gut job because it's dated" is wasteful thinking.

It makes me so sad to see people spout this as if it's truth, when really it's nonsense. Manipulative marketing at it's finest; it must be true because they keep hearing it repeated on HGTV.
Can't rep you again. I'll have to go out and rep a bunch of other people and then come back to you.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,232,378 times
Quote:
But do they realize why we were able to do it? Because we didn't insist on a house having the latest "style". We bought a house that was 25 years old and had the original kitchen, bathroom, finishes, etc. OMG it even had wallpaper that we had to take down ourselves, perish the thought! And we didn't feel like we needed to remodel right away, either, because having the latest style sanctioned by a TV station hadn't been drummed into our brains as being an important thing. Thank god for that.
I didn't read the whole thread but totally agree with this. When DH and I downsized from our McMansion, we had taken down the ugly wallpaper, gotten rid of the wretched popcorn ceilings, beefed up the insulation, and installed granite countertops in the kitchen and bamboo flooring in the kitchen (replacing linoleum) and master bath (replacing carpeting). Most of the feedback was whiny and superficial. The light fixtures were dated. The appliances weren't stainless steel. Like, who cares? A similar house down the street sold almost immediately- they'd painted the entire 2-story family room mustard-yellow, then the "hot" color, including the stone fireplace. Ick! And they still had the popcorn ceilings.

I was glad to get out of that house. Too many bathrooms to clean, too much $$ to keep it heated and air-conditioned. I figured we'd better be at the head of the crowd of aging baby boomers who decided they didn't need that much house.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 AM

14,304 posts, read 11,772,793 times
Quote:
This whole idea that completely functional features "need a gut job because it's dated" is wasteful thinking. Manipulative marketing at it's finest; it must be true because they keep hearing it repeated on HGTV.

Hear hear!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:29 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,080,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
popcorn ceilings,

LOL I forgot about the popcorn ceilings! Yes, our first house had those, too. We kept them for years. Somehow we managed to have a wonderful time in that house, even with (OMG!!!!) popcorn ceilings!

ps. We finally did scrape it off, maybe ten years into living in that house. And FWIW, I kind of regretted it after we did. That stuff might not have been stylish but it did function well to keep noise down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate