Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:47 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times

Advertisements

How are these McModern looking things hold up against tough weather? The biggest differences I see in them are the fancy looking garage doors, front entrance doors and tall glass windows. Looking like a low budget wanna be penthouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
How are these McModern looking things hold up against tough weather? The biggest differences I see in them are the fancy looking garage doors, front entrance doors and tall glass windows. Looking like a low budget wanna be penthouse.
Depending on what kind of weather. Hurricanes, they do poorly, especially houses that have a two story "great room" or entry. Balloon framed houses hold up better to high winds as long at they are pinned. Brace framed houses do even better.

IN a fire, balloon framed houses allow fire to travel quickly between floors unless they have fire-stops or fire resistant insulation added. Modern homes avoid that problem, but if they have trusses instead of rafters or I-Joists between floors, they collapse very quickly.

Earthquakes - Newer houses with shear wall will generally do better if they are actually built right (many to most are not). Balloon framing will generally do better unless it is not pinned. Brace framing - well there is a reason you do not find many surviving brace framed houses in earthquake territory.

Snow loads - it really depends on the construction. Every type of house can hold up or have problems. Flat roofs are uniformly disastrous in snow country.

Non-flood water issues - new houses win hands down. Draining systems are way better than they were. Basements are build better too. However if an older house is retrofitted with good draining, then it becomes pretty equal.

Floods: Stick framing is going to buckle and collapse. Balloon framing might hold together and just float away. Brace framing -I do not know. It might just sit there and be fine once dried out.

Lightening - new houses win. Technology wins out here.

What other kinds of weather are there?

Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Depending on what kind of weather. Hurricanes, they do poorly, especially houses that have a two story "great room" or entry. Balloon framed houses hold up better to high winds as long at they are pinned. Brace framed houses do even better.

IN a fire, balloon framed houses allow fire to travel quickly between floors unless they have fire-stops or fire resistant insulation added. Modern homes avoid that problem, but if they have trusses instead of rafters or I-Joists between floors, they collapse very quickly.

Earthquakes - Newer houses with shear wall will generally do better if they are actually built right (many to most are not). Balloon framing will generally do better unless it is not pinned. Brace framing - well there is a reason you do not find many surviving brace framed houses in earthquake territory.

Snow loads - it really depends on the construction. Every type of house can hold up or have problems. Flat roofs are uniformly disastrous in snow country.

Non-flood water issues - new houses win hands down. Draining systems are way better than they were. Basements are build better too. However if an older house is retrofitted with good draining, then it becomes pretty equal.

Floods: Stick framing is going to buckle and collapse. Balloon framing might hold together and just float away. Brace framing -I do not know. It might just sit there and be fine once dried out.

Yeah that is pretty much it.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:34 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Great to know!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
New construction of Modern McMansions appear popular in the Houston area. Not sure who’s buying them, but the city has many transplants. Some appear poorly constructed of cheap materials, while others are well constructed but disproportionately large for their lot.

Some may be aesthetically pleasing, but I did not enjoy living in one. It felt hard, cold, cavernous, and devoid of character. I prefer older houses with multiple rooms, such as Victorians, Colonials, Plantations or Craftsman style houses.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
For those who like cookie cutter style developments, here's one for you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:53 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Great to know!
One of the things that impact new houses during hurricanes (and they should be built to the updated code in places like the Southeast and Gulf) and/or tornadoes is that they're so airtight they come apart, if you will, from the exterior low pressure.

When a tornado went through Waldorf, MD about 15 years ago older houses pretty much survived with very little damage except shingles and random debris caused while new houses broke apart.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:17 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
We have tons of those blocky style apartments going up in our area. What fascinates me there are some sliding glass doors on the 2nd or 3rd story level with a guard railing right outside to prevent you from falling out, and to"suggest" a balcony where there isn't one (these are flat walled buildings remember, no dimension or little overhangs anywhere). I thought about it for awhile and decided that there must be a huge stock of sliding glass doors to be had on the cheap so this was a cost cutting measure of some kind. I refuse to believe it's a "design choice". But what do I know. They can get dozens of them up within a couple weeks though.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We have tons of those blocky style apartments going up in our area. What fascinates me there are some sliding glass doors on the 2nd or 3rd story level with a guard railing right outside to prevent you from falling out, and to"suggest" a balcony where there isn't one (these are flat walled buildings remember, no dimension or little overhangs anywhere). I thought about it for awhile and decided that there must be a huge stock of sliding glass doors to be had on the cheap so this was a cost cutting measure of some kind. I refuse to believe it's a "design choice". But what do I know. They can get dozens of them up within a couple weeks though.
Are you talking about a French Balcony?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
What is with this constant obsession with calling everything a “cookie cutter” home?! In the market we are moving, which is a cheap West Coast city, custom home design STARTS at $2 million. One day, I’ll do that. But like 99.9% of people, I’ll be living in a house designed by an architect for a building company. That’s literally how the world works. EVERYONE uses an iPhone or Android or whatever right?! They don’t custom design their own freaking phones. Houses are no different!

More to the point here, yes most buyers don’t want anything that isn’t modern, no it’s NOT true that the “building materials are cheap.” No, they’re not. Most modern homes are build better than their cheaper, “contemporary” counterparts, at least 2x6 construction, more use of wood and tile rather than carpet, metal for stair rails, etc. The quality of most modern homes is way better and that’s why they’re more expensive. In most markets now, nobody wants old, dated architecture if they can avoid it. I wouldn’t buy a home that wasn’t modern. I don’t want a pitched roof, I don’t want crown moulding, I want clean lines and nice architecture that looks great not dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate