Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:35 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times

Advertisements

Yeah, unless something really stands out as a negative, don't spend on a bunch of things. Price the house according to how much renovation it needs to be an attractive home, not a dream home, or a showstopper. Let the new owner do their thing. Once you start spending money to try to make it what someone else wants, you screw up. Because you have no idea what someone else wants. Like a poster above stated taking out bronze fixtures to make them nickel. Some people would turn right around and take those nickel ones out and change to bronze or chrome, or whatever. You have no idea what they want. I don't agree with offering "allowances" either. Just price the home so that a buyer has the money leftover to replace things that need redoing, as long as those things are in good condition. My last 3 homes I owned all sold within days. I sold my 30 year old, all original, rental property (laminate counters, newer but inexpensive carpet, and old vinyl floors) with minimal prep (just fresh interior paint, and a good cleaning) and it sold for 10% above asking price with 16 offers in one week. Admittedly, it was a very tight market for this type of home, but we could have spent $5K to 10K fixing it up, and then got $5K to $10K more for it. Why waste our time and effort? A good price for a clean home with good bones in a good location is what most people want. Give them that and don't overthink it.

Last edited by TheShadow; 02-10-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 AM

768 posts, read 859,390 times
As a long-time real estate broker licensed in 3 states, I would urge you to do a cost analysis before you tackle decorating for a nameless, faceless buyer. What sells home is location and I assume you are in a good location and a home that is scrupulously clean, from windows to baseboards. If you have purple rooms or your teenager painted his room black, then those colors must be changed. Get your home decluttered and de personalized. Price your home under market to accommodate those looking for the buzz words of granite, quartz, shiplap, stainless, etc, etc. Then watch your multiple offers come in. Worked for my clients each and every time.....price, condition, location and the agent you hire are the only reasons property sells.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:01 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanish View Post
Oh, my heart goes out to you. You're going to get so many different recommendations - you'll feel like your head is spinning ala Linda Blair.

For what it's worth, everyone here has already given you excellent advice. I'll add to your confusion simply because we're in exactly your same situation at the moment with our home going on the market mid-March, but we're also house shopping for a new home at the same time in another state.

We have similar homes: Ours is a 1990 built limestone 2-story in a small, semi-rural community outside Austin, (hot market - desirable location), on one landscaped acre. At 2200 sq. ft., it is one of the smaller homes in the 'hood and will hit the market around 400K, one of the least expensive homes in the area. All the floors are 3/4" pecan plank, granite countertops in the kitchen already with pale green-gray painted cabinets and Italian subway tile backsplashes. The master bath was recently renovated as an all-tile "wet room" master with walk in shower.

Every realtor we've met with has different To Do lists for us and it's formidable. We chose the realtor who had the most sales in our neighborhood over the past several years - we're confident she knows the type of buyers who are interested in this specific area and what they're looking for in a home. Find the realtor you trust and like, then follow their lead on prepping your home for the market. Following her guidance, we're refinishing the pecan floors, painting the master bath and upstairs rooms a neutral cream color, replacing bronze bath hardware with nickel finish pulls, replacing older french doors to the backyard with new ones, and replacing the vinyl floor in the upstairs bathroom with porcelain tile.

As house hunters, I look at three things first: Kitchen, Master Bath and Backyard. Key considerations for me are granite/marble/quartz countertops in the kitchen, a tiled walk-in shower in the Master and landscaping and trees in the backyard. We will buy a home with a great yard but laminate counters and no walk-in shower, but we'll offer less knowing that we'll want to immediately make those changes. If you don't want to put in granite countertops, you might ask your realtor if you would come out ahead by including an allowance up front for renovations - rather than hoping the buyers will offer a good price after factoring in the renovation cost, offering a set amount allowance up front might let you control that part of the negotiation.

We also must have a gas stove: it kills me when I see a home with a brand new electric or glass top stove (label still attached!). I wish the sellers would just slap a check for $2500 on the stovetop - it acknowledges that it needs to be replaced, but lets me choose the type of stove I want!

One thing - I've seen homes with an island kitchen where the island is white quartz or black granite and the countertops are still laminate - many of those homes look quite nice and the touch of natural stone on the island really adds to the kitchen at a very modest price! Even if they want to switch out the laminate counters later, the mix of marble and granite looks great and you've increased the market value of your home at a nominal cost. Could you consider something like that?

Good luck to you! I sincerely feel your pain!!! Maybe we should just trade houses and both relax a bit!
I'm sure you realize that natural gas is not available in many places. So a gas stove is not always possible. So if you see an electric stove, you might want to ask if gas is available in that home/neighborhood. Not every electric stove needs to be replaced just because you like gas.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 11,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm sure you realize that natural gas is not available in many places. So a gas stove is not always possible. So if you see an electric stove, you might want to ask if gas is available in that home/neighborhood. Not every electric stove needs to be replaced just because you like gas.
Hi, Shadow, and thank you. Actually, natural gas isn't available in the area I'm currently living in, but it's relatively easy to run a line for propane gas - especially if the home's kitchen is against an exterior wall or has a pier and beam foundation. Since it's the only appliance in my current home that uses gas fuel, we use 40 lb propane canisters in an attractive enclosure and don't have to bother with a large tank.

The area we're hoping to move to has no natural gas and VERY few homes with gas ranges, but I've already contacted a few of the local plumbers there and the average charge to retrofit a propane line for stoves is around $675 - not bad at all!

Old 02-10-2019, 12:47 PM

172 posts, read 145,844 times
Ok, I think not replacing the laminate makes more sense. I know our floors aren't for everyone and I think the counters are in line with the flooring. It's all in great shape and very kid and pet friendly.

I feel the same way Adanish when I see new carpet installed on the main floor in listings. If it's not going to be a hard surface, I'm not interested and hate to rip out new materials.

I just read that Habitat for Humanity will come remove counters or certain materials around here to reuse. I plan to call them if we ever do a reno in the next place.

We will get the trim repainted and paint the ceilings where I removed the popcorn (no asbestos, tested). Son's room is dark gray/ red and I will paint that something light. Any suggestions? It has light gray carpet and white trim.

Decorations are minimal, no family pics out, and we will pre-inspect to fix anything we haven't already caught.

The house will be spotless. I've been wiping down the inside of window frames, cabinets, drawers, everything! We do have great curb appeal because there are only a few of this style and our garage is deceptively huge and heated with built in cabinets.

Thanks again!!!! It is such a big project but I cannot wait to relocate so I know it will be worth it.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:20 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Pics? On the granite, not sure you get that money back. How good is the paint job and is it in good shape or need touch ups?

Old 02-10-2019, 02:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedteach17 View Post
I have spoken with 2 realtors so far and have different opinions and timelines from each. I'm going to look for a third opinion but wanted to ask here for actual seller/buyer opinions.

We are in the midwest in an established neighborhood built in 80s. Mature trees, near a lake, very close to shops and there is lots of variety in home styles. We are in the oldest, smallest section with 2100 ft above, another 900 ft finished basement.

Our floors are laminate wood, luxury vinyl tile in kitchen and vinyl wood in basement. One realtor wants us to take out the tan/white/gray granite look laminate kitchen counter, about a $4k job, and keep the tile backsplash. He think we need granite or quartz. Many homes have granite and hardwoods in the neighborhood.

Another suggestion was to paint the whole house a taupe color to make the white trim and crown pop. Right now the main floor rooms are soft gray/blue or very pale green-gray.

We can pick and choose what to do and want to make informed choices. We hesitate on the counters mainly because it's hard to predict what someone else might want. I assume we will sell to a young family who want into the neighborhood and schools.

I know it's hard to comment on different markets and areas but curious how others are either getting ready to sell or what is a big turn off as a buyer. Thanks for any suggestions and advice!
Unless your counters look and feel like broken crushed glass I wouldn’t do anything. If the counters are just showing wear so what. It’s a counter. It’s for use not the Mona Lisa. Keep the house clean, repair large DAMAGED things. Paint if you need to. Otherwise list as is and price it right to sell.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:56 PM

213 posts, read 157,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanish View Post
The area we're hoping to move to has no natural gas and VERY few homes with gas ranges, but I've already contacted a few of the local plumbers there and the average charge to retrofit a propane line for stoves is around $675 - not bad at all!

Induction ranges are better in pretty much every way over gas, except for price. So, that's potentially a reasonable option if you hate electric resistance elements/ceramic (agree with you there.)

Old 02-10-2019, 03:27 PM

172 posts, read 145,844 times
The counters look perfect. No damage except for one tiny knife hole that is the size of a pencil tip, it blends right in. Rounded edge, no peeling or chips at all. They are called hi-def laminate, Wilsonart Sedona Bluff for anyone curious. Home Depot has the most accurate pic.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedteach17 View Post
The counters look perfect. No damage except for one tiny knife hole that is the size of a pencil tip, it blends right in. Rounded edge, no peeling or chips at all. They are called hi-def laminate, Wilsonart Sedona Bluff for anyone curious. Home Depot has the most accurate pic.
Here, I wouldn't get into it based on your description but I'd defer to the local experts in your market. Interview a few more agents and see what they tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate