Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living next to or near a cemetery.
OK for the most part 99 72.79%
Kind of depressing 14 10.29%
Something else (explain in comments) 23 16.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:56 PM

387 posts, read 515,609 times

Advertisements

I have lived across the street from a large cemetery in Boca Raton,Fl. for nearly 15 years, I've always admired the respectful side of people I see working or visiting there. When I bought here I heard the usual quip about having quiet neighbors, etc.This is a very fast growing area, without this beautiful resting ground it would be another high rise no doubt.I do believe that most sensible people respect the dead and act accordingly in or around a cemetery.I would never want to live near a school for example, but churches and a cemetery are just fine with me. Interesting topic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:13 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
We live on a forested ridge that overlooks a well-kept cemetery. It doesn't bother us at all. We built in 2013 and I wondered if I would be afraid to stay alone at night if my mind started wandering. Nope, never have given it a thought.

We make jokes about:
- having the most quiet neighbors.
- that our well water tastes "funny"
-that we will just have to roll whichever spouse dies first, down the hill

Seriously, it is a big open space to look out over in the winter because the snow covers the shorter grave stones, and in the summer it is a lovely green area with little to no traffic. We have just enough buffer of light trees between us and the cemetery that we get the southern sun but not a wide open view of the cemetery.

It's a wonderful, quiet place to walk on pavement and we see many people walking their dogs on nice evenings. The dog walkers are very respectful of the place because we've never come across dog droppings.

We have a back deck overlooking the cemetery and BBQ out there on the deck. If there is a funeral going on, we are very respectful and keep our voices low. One summer day when I was outside sitting in the shade, a bag-piper was playing Amazing Grace for a funeral. It was lovely.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
The only reason I selected "Something else" is because the first choice was too weak. Instead of "Okay for the most part" I would say that I can't imagine the slightest drawback to living near a cemetery, assuming that you're not so close to the driveway that you are regularly inconvenienced by heavy funeral traffic.

I'm 65 and I can't remember a time when I didn't know that people die. In our current house we have a cemetery just outside of our woods--the property is literally adjacent to ours--and it doesn't bother me in the least. It has nice views; I can take my wife's dog for walks there; and I guarantee that there has never been a time when I've found ghosts or spirits sneaking into our yard from the graves.

This is literally nothing to worry about, or even think about.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I see it as a positive. You would be next to a quiet, peaceful, well-maintained and usually beautiful piece of land that is guaranteed to stay that way.
Absolutely! Surprised at the number of contributors to this thread that have the heebie jeebies of one sort or another about it.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I see it as a positive. You would be next to a quiet, peaceful, well-maintained and usually beautiful piece of land that is guaranteed to stay that way.
Exactly.

I would prefer it to be an historic, now inactive cemetery but I would still be ok near an active one as well, depending on the particulars.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
I could never do it. Not even live near one, much less within sight of one. Would have major heebie jeebies, especially if alone overnight.

Otherwise, they would make ideal neighbors: quiet, well-maintained yard, non-gossiping busybodies. Oh, and the soil would probably be awesome for gardening.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Oh, and the soil would probably be awesome for gardening.

Not sure the soil at your house would benefit one way or the other, but you've touched on another feature of older cemeteries that I've always loved. In older times it was sometimes a tradition to plant a beloved rose bush or other special plant by a grave. If you love flowers, especially unusual ones, take a walk through an older cemetery. Many times you will find beautiful plants varities that have otherwise disappeared. (But don't take cuttings. I know some people do that, but I've always thought that was tacky.)

Old 02-11-2019, 10:41 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Not sure the soil at your house would benefit one way or the other, but you've touched on another feature of older cemeteries that I've always loved. In older times it was sometimes a tradition to plant a beloved rose bush or other special plant by a grave. If you love flowers, especially unusual ones, take a walk through an older cemetery. Many times you will find beautiful plants varities that have otherwise disappeared. (But don't take cuttings. I know some people do that, but I've always thought that was tacky.)
Yes, I’ve noticed that when I visited some Colonial-era cemeteries out East and abroad. Peaceful garden-like setting, with sometimes usual plants. I enjoy reading the gravestones. Still would not want to live anywhere near one, though.

When I lived in England, I noticed not only do people live abutted to these old cemeteries, but some have pubs and restaurants almost in their midst. They have a different view and relationship to their dead I guess.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM

199 posts, read 158,586 times
I like cemeteries. Halloween comes - half your decorating is done! But seriously, I enjoy walking in them and looking at the names and dates and just celebrating all the lives lived. I also like to help pull weeds while I'm in there. Look for the graves that aren't kept up and just help a little. So, for me, it would be kind of a hobby to live next to a cemetery.

I have no idea what effect it would have on property values, but if it got me a better deal because cemeteries are stigmatized or something, then win-win!

Old 02-11-2019, 11:10 AM

199 posts, read 158,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It wouldn't bother me at all. Although I have never lived next to a cemetery, I once had an apartment on top of a funeral home. No issues there, and a cemetery would provide additional green space.
Yes - this, too. I used to babysit for a funeral director, so their home was attached to the funeral parlor. Didn't bother me at all, and their kids would chase each other around between the display caskets.

In small towns, the funeral home is usually the nicest house in town. Some friends and I were talking recently about whether we'd consider buying a house that used to be a funeral home, and I said I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm a sucker for older houses, and if I get a deal because everyone else is squicked out - even better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate