Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living next to or near a cemetery.
OK for the most part 99 72.79%
Kind of depressing 14 10.29%
Something else (explain in comments) 23 16.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I've been casually researching condominiums, and I found that some of them are very close to cemeteries, like on the same block or within 1/4 of a mile. Maybe that's not true for most people, but I'm just not comfortable with that. It's, well... kind of depressing. I realize that no one lives forever, I just prefer not to be reminded about it whenever I leave home and again when I return. Or even worse, having it right in front of my eyes outside my window.

I suppose it's kind of different with historic cemeteries or inactive military cemeteries, where no new deceased are being buried. Which likens them to very serious museums, rather than burial sites. But functioning modern cemeteries don't always have the graceful aesthetics of historic ones, which dampens the depressing part. Or the stone walls, which mask the cemetery altogether, and give it sense of mystery without taking things into the paranormal territory.

I suppose the same can be said about venues like memorials for the Holocaust or POW MIA's. There's a Holocaust museum in Skokie, IL, and a high-rise glass-and-steel condominium went up nearby not too long ago. I may be Jewish, but I wouldn't feel comfortable living there, either, for obvious reasons. In fact, when I was in Yad VaShem Museum (a Holocaust memorial) in Jerusalem, the tour guide said to the group: "If this museum feels sad to you, it should. It's as close to a cemetery as these people will ever have." (Jewish religion places very high importance on having proper resting places for the deceased.)

How do others on City-Data feel? OK, depressing, or something else?
I chose the something else. The something else is to consider if it appears to be a hangout for kids or others. Other than that, I don't consider it to be depressing, we all die sometime. I enjoy cemeteries, especially some of the really old ones. There was a really old cemetery behind a restaurant we used to go to that had some interesting markers from the Civil War and even earlier.

The only other thing that might concern you is how frequently burials are and do they impact your getting out. This not only applies to cemeteries but parks as well. There is a park in South Carolina called James Island Park that every Christmas has the festival of lights. Unfortunately for residents in the immediate area that means they can't access their house between 4:30 and whatever time they close and everyone leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Great place for your kids to play.

Halloween parties are the bomb.

Free live music from time to time.

Neighbors are always quiet the rest of the time.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:24 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwrangler View Post
Yes - this, too. I used to babysit for a funeral director, so their home was attached to the funeral parlor. Didn't bother me at all, and their kids would chase each other around between the display caskets.

In small towns, the funeral home is usually the nicest house in town. Some friends and I were talking recently about whether we'd consider buying a house that used to be a funeral home, and I said I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm a sucker for older houses, and if I get a deal because everyone else is squicked out - even better!

And it probably has a few awesome refrigerators, just in case you need an extra....

Old 02-11-2019, 03:40 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
My parents moved to Las Vegas when my Dad retired. They lived not too far from the airport. At the end of the runway, there was a street. On the other side of the street was a cemetery. We would see planes take off flying right over the cemetery and I once commented to my husband, "Well, at least the residents (of the cemetery) won't complain about all the airport noise". In other words, the perfect place for a cemetery!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I've been casually researching condominiums, and I found that some of them are very close to cemeteries, like on the same block or within 1/4 of a mile. Maybe that's not true for most people, but I'm just not comfortable with that. It's, well... kind of depressing. I realize that no one lives forever, I just prefer not to be reminded about it whenever I leave home and again when I return. Or even worse, having it right in front of my eyes outside my window.

I suppose it's kind of different with historic cemeteries or inactive military cemeteries, where no new deceased are being buried. Which likens them to very serious museums, rather than burial sites. But functioning modern cemeteries don't always have the graceful aesthetics of historic ones, which dampens the depressing part. Or the stone walls, which mask the cemetery altogether, and give it sense of mystery without taking things into the paranormal territory.

I suppose the same can be said about venues like memorials for the Holocaust or POW MIA's. There's a Holocaust museum in Skokie, IL, and a high-rise glass-and-steel condominium went up nearby not too long ago. I may be Jewish, but I wouldn't feel comfortable living there, either, for obvious reasons. In fact, when I was in Yad VaShem Museum (a Holocaust memorial) in Jerusalem, the tour guide said to the group: "If this museum feels sad to you, it should. It's as close to a cemetery as these people will ever have." (Jewish religion places very high importance on having proper resting places for the deceased.)

How do others on City-Data feel? OK, depressing, or something else?
My mother would have loved to live next to a cemetery. That's where her and friends would all hang out in their free time. LOL!

Me, personally, I'd be concerned it would have an effect on property value, for those who are a little more superstitious than me. My actual thought "well that means I can only have one loud neighbor..."

Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
There was an enormous cemetery where we used to live. A friend visited us from a distance a couple of times a year and stayed with us. We always went with her to visit her mom's grave site. Somehow it always worked out that we wound up going in the dark. Didn't give it a thought except it was a little harder to find the site. At that time there was not a fence all the way around the cemetery and we knew just where to park and walk on in there. The site was actually very near the entry point. We all said a few words, shared a couple of memories, left the visitor alone a bit and then were on our way.

Another time, we lived in an area that at one time was settled by people who came over from England. The lots at that time were required to be no less than 15 acres. Loved that. So we got curious about the history and met an older lady who loved to research local history. She did a great job. We shared the info with neighbors. We were surprised to see on the lady's map, a cemetery. We explored and found it. As we stood by it, another neighbor pulled up on the road and asked what we were doing. We hadn't met him before. We told him we were looking at the cemetery. He shouted that there was no cemetery. We said yes, we had research done and , hey, what about these tombstones and fence around it all. I don't know if he was more shocked or angry. We invited him to join us and he just shook his head fast and sped off.

Then we moved to the 5 acres or more area. At the end of a road was a new neighbor, a woman who had once indicated she would love the history of the area. Nice woman, grand home, she was thinking of bringing it up at a party she was planning. She was all excited about it until falling leaves behind her home revealed her very own cemetery. And then we showed up with the paperwork on the history. She was furious at the developer and builder for not telling residents about cemeteries in the nearby area and she planned to move.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
"How do others on City-Data feel? OK, depressing, or something else?"

we live between TWO cemeteries. both of them Baptist Churches. one member got mad at the other and they split.
well, except for the High School kids on Halloween....it is REAL quiet around here. like....nobody.
so: how do we feel?
1. rested. cemeteries do not disturb our sleep.
2. safe. it appears that thieves avoid cemetery approximates.
3. proud. lots of veterans lie there, including the Civil War.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Perhaps if I had never seen Poltergeist and Pet Semetary...

Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,524 times
My aunt lived across from a cemetery when I was a kid and my siblings and I thought it was cool. Today, I think it would be ok, because you wouldn't have any annoying, loud or nosy neighbors that way.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
Would a guy want to live near the cemetery that his nagging mom-in-law is buried at? Doubtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate