Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 PM

7,631 posts, read 4,551,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
After a while I couldn't take the cliques and overt racist and bigots among the clique. They weren't hidden about using the HOA to control who moved in.

How did they do it? I want to learn. I'm currently a despot...not by choice. I have one other member that will show up to meetings. One, and she wants off because she'd been stuck on the Board for 20 years and can't ever leave. We have a third person. He shows up to some of the meetings. He won't be a check signer though, because he's not smart enough to fill out the bank form. The bank was going to close our account so I became a signer. I'm also collecting the bills, vouching AP and cutting checks and doing the cash reconciliation....and reporting the financials....anyone see a problem here?

Today I followed up on a message from an owner's pm about a leaking roof. I got a contractor and gave the number of the owner to coordinate meetup time. The owner referred back to me. Beyotch, I'm not your PM. I'm not your tenant.

So anyway, I'm going to be spending all the money to fix up the place. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm following the law or not. I don't care. I'm going to get a good deal for the Association, but I'm going to fix up the buildings. I want them to look really nice, and I'll keep raising the HOA dues 20% a year. Because I completely want to gentrify the Association.

Maybe someone will oppose me....but I really doubt it....and I'll be fine when my reign of terror is over. Oh, and when it comes selling time...sorry, I'm giving an accurate number for renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM

149 posts, read 258,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Two problems. One there is no way to know the culture of the board before you buy. You can find all the docs even talk to a couple residents but no one will cue you to the way the board thinks. Only when you get under their thumb do their prejudices come out Two there is no ombudsman process for disputing their decisions. None. This puts the board in charge of your critical decisions. If the members have an agenda then you are stuck with it.

Now not all boards are narrow minded. Some work with changing times and culture of the rest of the homeowners. They made be knowledgeable of budgeting and community needs. But often members are just people who want to be in charge with no oversight and that is where the problems arise. What is needed is a higher level of professionals to whom individual homeowners can take their concerns and complaints

Absolutely.

My Condo association rules and regs date from the time of construction of the property, 40 years ago. They have not been reviewed or updated since.

The board consists of 3 to 5 persons, owners or tenants, (yes, renters) , who have sole power of decision and initiative. That means they think up plans, things to do, and budgets among themselves. They are elected periodically but there is no obligation to provide information regarding their plans or past record, they are elected based on the familianess of their name on the ballot.

Homeowners receive meeting notices in the postal mail. A proxy vote ballot on meeting items is included which should be voted, signed and returned prior to the meeting, ostensibly to ensure a quorum for voting at the meeting.

The homeowners get to vote one time at yearly meetings. They vote to forego reading last year's minutes, accept the new budget, and to waive required yearly HOA financial audits. Aside from that, board proposals are presented and discussed at the annual homeowner meeting In front of the owners present for information purposes, the board then discusses among themselves, and motions to vote to go forward / allow a homeowner to complete an window upgrade project on his unit or some such. In short, 3- 5 people decide for more than a 100 homeowners. They hire their buddies as neede. Homeowners can override or initiate something only with a two third ownersssigned petition.

It is easy to criticize people for purchasing a home in such a rigid HOA environment, but one purchases a home on its own merits. Multiple factors, one of which being Rules and Regs, are considered in home buying decisions. All factors cannot be satisfied, so sometimes it's the HOA that is discounted.

Last edited by asimegusta; 03-05-2019 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate