Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambs444 View Post
I'm a single mother on section 8. I've worked very hard to care for my two children on my own. I have never been on welfare, been on drugs, or been evicted. I'm suprised at some of the ignorant comments I'm hearing. Its almost 2010 and we still try and fit people in a certain box. People from all walks of life have issues and these stereotypical comments show it. It makes it hard for families who deserve a chance.
rs
Its 2013 and we are still putting people in that box. Still going to be doing bit in 2014. And 2015. And so on. Landlords experience is not going to be changed by someone's first post claiming we don't know what we are talking about. Not now. Not ever. Sorry. Thanks for playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM

32,629 posts, read 47,964,911 times
[quote=Ambs444;11754941 I have never been on welfare, [/quote]

The taxpayers are paying for your place to live. That means you and your kids are receiving welfare. You are certainly not paying your own way in life.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM

123 posts, read 243,147 times
I just finished with a Sec 8 tenant. The property manager (which they require here) told me he was a "disabled veteran." She didn't tell me about his extensive criminal history, and he (the tenant) couldn't tell me what branch of the service he was in. According to the manager, he did 1440 Dollars in damages to my place. She was only holding a 400 Dollar deposit. Rent was 569. Sec 8 requires licensed contractors to do repairs, however, when the tenant moves out, you will not even get money to cover parts. Don't touch it with a barge pole.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,778 times
The decent renters will always be here to defend themselves but the fact remains that there are a large number of bad seeds and it is no worth the trouble. The bad rep is there for a reason.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
The decent renters will always be here to defend themselves but the fact remains that there are a large number of bad seeds and it is no worth the trouble. The bad rep is there for a reason.

Precisely. And the decent renters don't need to defend themselves. It's almost a shame we can't publicly out bad tenants. I don't mean just a little bad. I mean bad to the point of having to gut a house because of all of the damage. But it probably wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
We've actually done fairly well renting multifamily homes to section 8 tenants. The best part is that the bulk of the rent shows up on the first of the month because the program pays it directly to us. Tenants eventually pay their portion, because if they don't, they could lose their voucher. Yes, the tenants are low class, and sometimes their behavior is a problem. And yes, every apt. is filled with expensive electronics, even though they're on welfare. But we're making money on the rental properties. They're not in nice areas, but I don't live there. We install professional fire, smoke, and CO alarms, and window guards on upper story windows. We check the properties frequently. We make sure they're as safe as possible - God forbid a child should ever die in one of our buildings from something that we could have prevented. But as an acquaintance in the Section 8 rental business told us when we were renovating our first building - when you rent to Section 8, you're building a cage, not a home.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
But as an acquaintance in the Section 8 rental business told us when we were renovating our first building - when you rent to Section 8, you're building a cage, not a home.
So...Section 8 tenants are animals?

We own rental properties, and as with most things in life (and business), there's a middle ground here. It's indisputable that Section 8 tenants are going to more high risk. The question is whether you can satisfactorily mitigate that risk through screening and management, and whether it is merited by the return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate