Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real Estate: mortgage, escrow account, Home Owners Insurance, buyer, credit cards.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No, I am FAR from jealous of ANYONE! I'd actually could say it is the other way around as I've not been hit by any kind of slump in business or real estate or any other kind of financial hit. Well, other than the stock market going up and down but that money is put there for the LONG HAUL as even w/ the downs that come along we are still ahead from when we first started. I'm not a day trader.

No, it was not any kind of "desperate attempt" to "bring buyers back to the market". I'm not looking to sell ANY property be it our primary residence, lake house, vacation condo or our commercial properties. They ALL have done fairly well and we could sell any one of them for a nice tidy profit . IF we WANTED to but at this time I don't care to sell anything. Now if someone comes knocking on the door w/ an offer I can't refuse then I'll pack up as quick as I can Also not a "bitter stuck homeowner" that is "stuck with depreciating illiquid asset and not mobile". Only owned our current primary residence since 02 and put down a hefty down payment and have seen our property RISE in value at a nice steady pace. Not that we plan on selling or moving for awhile at all to make money off of it. And don't worry bout me as we have PLENTY of liquid assets to get ahold of but we also plan for emergencies and make sure all t's are crossed and i's dotted.

All this was JUST to let those that ARE looking to buy but waiting for whatever reason that IF they have ANY kind of glitch on their credit or they prefer to do their own taxes and insurance that they should get out there and take advantage of the situation NOW and not wait till things get worse when it comes to getting a mortgage. Sorry but financing for 15, 20 or 30 years a years worth of homeowners insurance is NOT a wise financial move.
Congratulations on you and your family's financial success!

So, I'm not a bitter renter and you're not a stuck homeowner. It's good that we understand each other

Of course, your situation is definitely not the norm, and all signs point to continued weakness in the market on a national scale, including "paradise" areas such as SLC, Raleigh, and even Dallas. Since y'all have been doing great with your finances, I'm sure you'll all adapt to imminent falling prices well. After all, you don't have to sell...the problem is that I don't have that luxury of staying put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Does this apply to FHA loans???
Nope. Just Fannie & Freddie.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
All this was JUST to let those that ARE looking to buy but waiting for whatever reason that IF they have ANY kind of glitch on their credit or they prefer to do their own taxes and insurance that they should get out there and take advantage of the situation NOW and not wait till things get worse when it comes to getting a mortgage. Sorry but financing for 15, 20 or 30 years a years worth of homeowners insurance is NOT a wise financial move.
Escrowing is not being required as long as you have 20% or more down/equity.

Just because someone escrows does not mean that one year's worth has to be financed for the life of the loan. It can be paid out of pocket on a refi. and on a purchase it is never financed.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Escrowing is not being required as long as you have 20% or more down/equity.

Just because someone escrows does not mean that one year's worth has to be financed for the life of the loan. It can be paid out of pocket on a refi. and on a purchase it is never financed.
Right NOW an escrow account is not required but it will be for MOST loans starting June 1st.

I'm referring to the first years homeowners insurance. The LENDER adds in the cost of the first year premium to the amount of the loan even though YOU may be writting a check and paying for it IF you have that option - some mortgage companies won't take it. Most people don't realize THEY CAN write a check for it and get it off the loan amount. Therefore they ARE financing for the life of the loan that first years premium. And why in the world would one want to refi IF they are getting a good deal NOW on interest rates. If one locked in back in March for less than 5% why would they refi if rates are higher?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:36 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default momof2dfw

Momof2dfw,

What is your background? You say you don't work in real estate but you seem to know alot about it.

Its great that you have a credit card at 9% lifetime rate but it doesn't matter if your rate is 25% if you pay your balances every month like I do and get 2% cash back. I think my rate is like 10-11% depending on Prime but I don't really care as I have never paid them any interest.

I recommend waiting for those on the fence who can afford to stay put. The credit market has already gotten tight and will only get tighter for those with marginal credit.

For people with good credit though or those that can pay cash I would only buy if you find that dreamhouse you plan on staying in for a decade or more. For investors, the deals are only going to get better as the number of short-sales and foreclosures increase.

When do you see prices bottoming out in Dallas? Nationally?

I do see prices dropping in Dallas in the next 12-24 months, but only a little.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
BTW, of all of those on here that are saying "don't buy now", do YOU OWN or RENT? Just curious.
I'm an owner, just like you. I'm also in a strong local market, just like you. My logic tells me that a shrinking buyer pool will bring about better deals in the future than I can find right now, so I'll hold tight. FWIW, I'm looking at the market from an investment standpoint right now and not for another primary residence.

I've followed a lot of your posts, and you always seem to be level-headed and easy going. But for some reason in this thread, you keep throwing your finances around like others should be jealous. I'm thrilled that you're doing well in life, I really am. But sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
When do you see prices bottoming out in Dallas? Nationally?

I do see prices dropping in Dallas in the next 12-24 months, but only a little.
I'm not so sure that I see the Dallas market dropping at all (perhaps pockets, but not the area as a whole). The area has a growing population and strong employment, so I would not be surprised to see Dallas continue to grow.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
I consider myself financially responsible. And yet I prefer having the escrow. The interest earned from this small amount of money wouldn't offset the cost of having to deal with paying it every month on my own. For some if their taxes are very very high I could see wanting to manage it on your own.

As for the folks who choose not to escrow and also choose to not put money back every month to cover taxes....(shakes head)....I guess they think money is going to fall out of the sky when it comes time to pay taxes and insurance.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I HAVE! And for the UMTEENTH time real estate IS LOCAL!!!!! The advice given on this forum by some that give a blanket statement that all real estate markets are nose diving and to go in and lowball offer is NOT realistic. The Dallas market is NOT the only market that is not being hit hard. I AM NOT trying to sell my house or any other property and I have property that is NOT in the Dallas area and it is also doing just fine and has not taken a hit in value.

I guess it is okay on here to talk all gloom and doom just because SOME areas are getting hit hard but not okay to talk positive about markets that ARE NOT suffering in a bubble.
I would have to agree with you here. I'm in a market that has done well and will likely continue. We never had huge spikes when the market was going crazy, and we're not taking a bath now that the worm has turned. I live in one of the (perhaps still the) fastest growing counties in Missouri. Our cost of living is quite low, and people are coming to this area at a steady pace.

I also think your points could be made without excessive use of the caps lock key. It is quite apparent that this thread strikes a chord with you, and I'm enjoying the discussion, but capitalizing every fourth word is a bit much.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Right NOW an escrow account is not required but it will be for MOST loans starting June 1st.

I'm referring to the first years homeowners insurance. The LENDER adds in the cost of the first year premium to the amount of the loan even though YOU may be writting a check and paying for it IF you have that option - some mortgage companies won't take it. Most people don't realize THEY CAN write a check for it and get it off the loan amount. Therefore they ARE financing for the life of the loan that first years premium. And why in the world would one want to refi IF they are getting a good deal NOW on interest rates. If one locked in back in March for less than 5% why would they refi if rates are higher?
Escrowing is not going to be required come June 1st. Maybe at your bank or something, but not across the industry. I have not seen anything from any lender that indicates this change.

The lender never adds the 1st year's worth of homeowner's insurance to the loan on a purchase.

On a refi. whatever needs to be held back in escrow (depends on where you are in your policy period and what has been paid) can be added to the loan amount along with the closing costs, but the borrower always has the option of paying some or all costs out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate