Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 AM

69 posts, read 50,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrailertrash View Post
And yes, I realize I'm the scum of the earth, I'm awful, etc. etc.

My story: married a felon. He's a drug addict (who is "trying" to get better, but that's an off and on thing). I allowed that to destroy my finances for years because I'm an honest and gullible person (as in, I'd let him in on how much money "we" had and would give him access to "our" money...and I'd fall for his stories and lies)

I have learned better, which is why I've saved up a couple thousand bucks. I have a good income per week.

I can understand a landlord not wanting us, but I don't want to be a homeless person. There has to be an option for people who make money like I do...somewhere....
Is there a place like an Open Door Mission where you live? If your husband is a drug addict, doing nothing but changing locations will accomplish nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 545 times
As per my opinion , these are the points to consider to avoid homelessness.

1. Avoid the Surprise of being Homeless.
2. Know where you Stand Financially.
3. Stop Eating Fast food, and Curb Spending Now.
4. To avoid being homeless, cut your bigger expenses.
5. Save today, to avoid being homeless tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:00 AM

948 posts, read 916,022 times
There is a growing number of people opting for RV living. I know a couple people doing that.

One lost her house to foreclosure, and the other sold her house high and is waiting to buy a new place when the housing markets crash again. It's also popular with retirees, minimalists and people who love to travel.

I thought about it myself, but I have a child and lots of stuff that I don't want to part with.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 AM

42,783 posts, read 26,093,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
There is a growing number of people opting for RV living. I know a couple people doing that.
One lost her house to foreclosure, and the other sold her house high and is waiting to buy a new place when the housing markets crash again. It's also popular with retirees, minimalists and people who love to travel.
I thought about it myself, but I have a child and lots of stuff that I don't want to part with.
The problem is finding an affordable place to park it. I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the US, but I'm familiar with one RV park in Northern California. The rent is $372 a week or $1050-$1395 a month. Not too many years ago that same RV park charged $450-$500 a month. And you can't overnight in most parking lots any more, or even on a residential street.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:18 PM

79 posts, read 67,740 times
Hi everyone. Thanks for thinking about me!

Things are coming together.

I actually bought an older singlewide mobile home in cash. $5,000. It's not in bad shape. The previous owner actually did some work on it, although it does need some work now. It is livable for now, though.

I have secured a rental lot to put it on. It's actually not in a mobile home park but is near other mobile homes in the country. It's a safe area. $175 a month.

We have to move the trailer to the rental lot. That is going to cost about $3,000, plus a few hundred for all the permits, which I'm working on right now. I have $1,600 set aside.

It takes time to get the permits, and I'm hustling and trying to come up with the money to move the trailer. I think we have about 3 more weeks here. I *THINK* we are going to be able to pull it off in time. If not, we might have to spend a week or so in a hotel or something.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:22 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,272,438 times
Quote:

I actually bought an older singlewide mobile home in cash. $5,000. It's not in bad shape. The previous owner actually did some work on it, although it does need some work now. It is livable for now, though.

I have secured a rental lot to put it on. It's actually not in a mobile home park but is near other mobile homes in the country. It's a safe area. $175 a month.

We have to move the trailer to the rental lot. That is going to cost about $3,000, plus a few hundred for all the permits, which I'm working on right now. I have $1,600 set aside.

It takes time to get the permits, and I'm hustling and trying to come up with the money to move the trailer. I think we have about 3 more weeks here. I *THINK* we are going to be able to pull it off in time. If not, we might have to spend a week or so in a hotel or something.
Good luck, OP. Sounds like everything is going in the right direction!

Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,093,782 times
Quote:

Good for you! That sounds like a workable plan, please keep us updated.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,705,767 times
I'm glad you came back to update, OP, and that you've been able to avoid homelessness. Having a place to live that's paid for, even if it's not ideal, will be such a relief.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:04 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,673,806 times
I am rooting for you OP. I am in similar but not identical situation in SC. Locating the mobile home (they go FAST here!), locating a rural property to place it on, seeking re-employment after having been unemployed since 2010. Some cats to re-home=2. I have a small flock of chickens...with rooster.

I have $$ saved, but have missed out on 3 used mobile homes so far! This thread has been helpful to me so far. Now I have some new ideas and new leads.

fyi; Home I am in is NOT mine. Spouse needs to be ex-ed. I am currently looking for work.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:11 PM

79 posts, read 67,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I am rooting for you OP. I am in similar but not identical situation in SC. Locating the mobile home (they go FAST here!), locating a rural property to place it on, seeking re-employment after having been unemployed since 2010. Some cats to re-home=2. I have a small flock of chickens...with rooster.

I have $$ saved, but have missed out on 3 used mobile homes so far! This thread has been helpful to me so far. Now I have some new ideas and new leads.

fyi; Home I am in is NOT mine. Spouse needs to be ex-ed. I am currently looking for work.
Oh wow, I'm really sorry you're going through such a tough time. It really sucks. I never want to go through something like this again.

I found the mobile home on Facebook marketplace. You can also sometimes find them on Craigslist. I was literally checking about a dozen times a day to see if anything new was posted. I contacted this guy within 30 minutes of him posting the ad and met with him and paid him the same afternoon. I definitely noticed that mobile homes in this price range go QUICK, particularly if they are "livable."

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate