Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 11:20 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times

Advertisements

Best time to buy a house is when everything comes together for you;
The right house, location, funding, convenience.

For people with kids, it's convenient to move in the summer, so realtors often advise sellers to list then.
But in snowbird areas like Hawaii or Arizona, winter brings a lot of buyers.
In every area, people sell when they have to, and may wind up selling for less in the off season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 11:24 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am currently renting an apartment and my lease ends on Nov 15th. A mortgage lender has advised me and created a sense of urgency that I should buy a house NOW in the spring time because that's when the "best" houses pop up on the market. He said that by the time school starts, the housing market is full of leftovers that no one wanted to buy, and so I'll be stuck with not-so-good options.

However, if I am to break my lease, it would cost me a fee of two months of rent, which would amount to $2,028! I was hoping to simply wait until Sep/Oct to buy a house (or condo) because it's close to the expiration of my lease and I wouldn't have to pay the $2K in fees. I would rather use that $2K toward the down payment on the house!

I have some doubts about what the mortgage lender guy told me though. Is it true that by September, the housing market is full of crappy leftover homes?? I thought maybe I could get a good deal at that time because school would have begun and there would be less competition with other buyers and maybe some sellers would be willing to cave in price a bit. Maybe??

I'm also expecting a potential pay raise and bonus in May. That would help my affordability and budget.

My budget would be up to $230K here in Jacksonville. But if I get the raise and bonus, then I could probably comfortably go up to $250K.

What should I do?
Absolutely not, there are plenty of homes just going up on the market come late Summer into the fall especially in Florida where that time of the year becomes another selling time for snowbirds. Don't listen to the mortgage guy, he just wants that commission now. Also, if the market is slower buyer wise, you stand to benefit price wise. Some people target when to sell but most sell when they need to not by season. If you get a transfer in August you aren't going to wait until March to sell your house, you will probably put it on the market in September.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:32 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yet, you came back to a real estate forum looking for real estate advice because you don't know your local real estate market?

Meh. You're welcome.
Good luck in your quest.
makes you wish you could go back and delete your (helpful?) professional advice.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:02 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
makes you wish you could go back and delete your (helpful?) professional advice.
Not really.

The OP's question is not unusual. It may help someone else.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:02 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The market is busiest in the mid spring, and houses tend to bring the best prices right around April. The best time to get a bargain is in summer, and between Thanksgiving and New Year's. The reason is that people want to move right after the kids finish school. If the house hasn't sold in the spring, by July and August sellers are getting desperate, drop the price. Also, if people haven't sold by mid fall, the market is DEAD during the holidays, and sellers get desperate, so are willing to accept lower prices.
That is absolutely not true in Florida, which is where the OP is. The weather is pretty good and a lot of the purchasers are empty nesters/retirees who don’t care about whether their kids are in school. They want a winter property and have no interest in buying a property starting in spring. I have a few family members who started out as snowbirds, and one has a single family home and one has a condo. Neither of them are going to start out in the spring when they have to pay for a time of year they don’t want to use. I lived in the OP’s area before and did some hiking meetups and while there might not be as many snowbirds as there are in SW/SE Florida, there were certainly a decent number.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
We bought it March. House went up in October the year before with a 40k in price drop by next year in March. I put a offer a week after the major price drop.

Worry more about finding a house that works as far as location/size/amenitiesoutd appearance, the prices, rates and your ability to qualify. One thing I learned is there will always be the house for sale around the corner and there is no perfect house.
Your lender just wants you to get the loan. He could care less what house you buy

Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Yeah I've decided to just wait until the time is convenient and right for me, which is to purchase in September, just two months prior to my lease expiration. That should allow enough time for a closing and to make the move. And if that timeline fails, I can continue leasing month to month after Nov 15. Also, I am allowed to wait all the way up until Nov 15 to discontinue the lease or renew month to month.

In the meantime, I will continue to save money over the next 6 months, which will help my affordability for a home. And I'm expecting a pay raise and bonus in May, and possibly even a promotion. It sucks to have to wait 8 more months to move, but I suppose it's not THAT bad of a wait.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:46 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Yeah I've decided to just wait until the time is convenient and right for me, which is to purchase in September, just two months prior to my lease expiration. That should allow enough time for a closing and to make the move. And if that timeline fails, I can continue leasing month to month after Nov 15. Also, I am allowed to wait all the way up until Nov 15 to discontinue the lease or renew month to month.

In the meantime, I will continue to save money over the next 6 months, which will help my affordability for a home. And I'm expecting a pay raise and bonus in May, and possibly even a promotion. It sucks to have to wait 8 more months to move, but I suppose it's not THAT bad of a wait.
I would start looking anyway. We looked for 4 years. But I wasn’t interested n compromising what we wanted. If I just wanted a house there were plenty I could of bought. But we wanted certain things

Old 03-17-2019, 06:01 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
I am currently renting an apartment and my lease ends on Nov 15th. A mortgage lender has advised me and created a sense of urgency that I should buy a house NOW in the spring time because that's when the "best" houses pop up on the market. He said that by the time school starts, the housing market is full of leftovers that no one wanted to buy, and so I'll be stuck with not-so-good options.

However, if I am to break my lease, it would cost me a fee of two months of rent, which would amount to $2,028! I was hoping to simply wait until Sep/Oct to buy a house (or condo) because it's close to the expiration of my lease and I wouldn't have to pay the $2K in fees. I would rather use that $2K toward the down payment on the house!

I have some doubts about what the mortgage lender guy told me though. Is it true that by September, the housing market is full of crappy leftover homes?? I thought maybe I could get a good deal at that time because school would have begun and there would be less competition with other buyers and maybe some sellers would be willing to cave in price a bit. Maybe??

I'm also expecting a potential pay raise and bonus in May. That would help my affordability and budget.

My budget would be up to $230K here in Jacksonville. But if I get the raise and bonus, then I could probably comfortably go up to $250K.

What should I do?
You can buy a house any time that you want. The last person whose advice you should take is a real estate broker hungry for an immediate commission.

At certain times of year, there are more houses on the market, but there are also more buyers for you to compete against. At other times, there are fewer houses on the market and also fewer buyers, so you have a better shot at a good deal when a good house comes on the market.

I would wait until you are comfortable rather than jump the gun.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:42 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:

What should I do?
OP, I mean this in a constructive way: you need to do much more research on real estate and personal finance before buying a house. Your questions show that you're out of your depth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate