U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM
 
9,962 posts, read 4,875,665 times
Reputation: 27745

Advertisements

I don't know why it is so freaking hard for you people to understand what a few of us are telling you.

You say "quit being so upset, just buy a house that isn't open plan."

Great!!!! Just freaking find one, unless you have the money to build from scratch. In the areas where I've been looking for a slightly larger house for some years now, something like 95% of houses offered for sale have been "remodeled" by removing walls. It is becoming practically impossible in some areas of the country to find a non-open-plan house for sale. Even "putting walls back" is usually not an option because rooms (typically kitchens) have been expanded past the original location of the now vanished walls, so you would have to gut that area of the house and totally rebuild.


When you take a house that was originally designed with traditional room divisions and knock out walls and change the shapes of rooms, etc., it usually ends up looking weird, too. Very few of these remodelings are done well, either in the way they're designed or in the quality of construction.

I will say it again for those who seem to have difficulty understanding:

The reason those of us who don't like the open plan house are getting acerbic, is because there are fewer of them every year and there seems to be no reversal of the trend.

Got it, yet?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2019, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
38,922 posts, read 24,539,727 times
Reputation: 55444
I get it.

You like something that is unpopular, so it is hard to find. That's the way it works.

When I like something that most don't, I understand it is harder for me to get.

I don't expect everyone else to change for my tastes, and of course, it can be frustrating.

We are experiencing the exact same thing for a different reason. We want a nice two bedroom, 2000 sq or less. This is NOT available, all the houses are 3000 sq ft or more. We found a lot we like, and they have a requirement for 2500 or greater square feet. We are too young for a retirement community.

Also, I am not a fan of the gray color palette that is so popular, again, we deal with it. It seems to be popular with the majority.

What we want is not popular, so we are not going to find it. We deal with it.

But like the OP said, it is changing back to your tastes, so you should be happy. Though I have to admit that all the new homes we have looked at do not seem to reflect the OPs stance, but our viewing is limited to a very small section of the industry.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-17-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
5,772 posts, read 2,546,257 times
Reputation: 6062
What I like about open architecture is that my fireplace insert won't make one room 80 while the rest of the house is 60. What I don't like about open architecture is that the most quiet dishwasher still makes the TV difficult to hear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 01:08 PM
 
Location: California
32,748 posts, read 36,223,159 times
Reputation: 28931
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Are people really trying to say that there is some giant conspiracy that is forcing open concept on the unsuspecting masses? Okay then.
While not as sinister as your words suggest, absolutey YES! t's much cheaper to build without walls. Watch how fast new construction goes up. Bing Bang Boom...Throw up some plywood and move right in!

Nothing today is built to last. All the McMansions will be falling apart in less than 50 years. We had to do some minor updating to our first post WWII house and the contractor was frustrated that simply moving the steps from the house to the backyard was a multi day project because it was solid concrete.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
23,283 posts, read 14,506,664 times
Reputation: 35925
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I don't know why it is so freaking hard for you people to understand what a few of us are telling you.

You say "quit being so upset, just buy a house that isn't open plan."

Great!!!! Just freaking find one, unless you have the money to build from scratch. In the areas where I've been looking for a slightly larger house for some years now, something like 95% of houses offered for sale have been "remodeled" by removing walls. It is becoming practically impossible in some areas of the country to find a non-open-plan house for sale. Even "putting walls back" is usually not an option because rooms (typically kitchens) have been expanded past the original location of the now vanished walls, so you would have to gut that area of the house and totally rebuild.


When you take a house that was originally designed with traditional room divisions and knock out walls and change the shapes of rooms, etc., it usually ends up looking weird, too. Very few of these remodelings are done well, either in the way they're designed or in the quality of construction.

I will say it again for those who seem to have difficulty understanding:

The reason those of us who don't like the open plan house are getting acerbic, is because there are fewer of them every year and there seems to be no reversal of the trend.

Got it, yet?
yes I get it. I might even be more inclined to sympathize that less popular choices are harder to find if you didn't spend so much time insisting that people who actually prefer open floor plans don't just have a different opinion than you do, but that they have an INCORRECT opinion. Being told that what I happen to like is wrong just because you don't like it means I can't really be bothered to have a whole lot of sympathy for your point of view.

And the fact remains that just like walls were taken out, walls can be put back in. So what if the kitchen was expanded, you can spend that same money removing the extra cabinets or counters or whatever, just like the people spend to put them in. Your complaint seems to be not that what you want doesn't exist, but that you should be able to find exactly what you want without having to spend money to make it that way. Guess what, lots of people have to spend money to make a house into what they want, and people who don't want open floor plans aren't exempt from that phenomenon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
38,922 posts, read 24,539,727 times
Reputation: 55444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
While not as sinister as your words suggest, absolutey YES! t's much cheaper to build without walls. Watch how fast new construction goes up. Bing Bang Boom...Throw up some plywood and move right in!
Does the cost of the large supporting beams needed actually save money on the wall costs? I know those beams are much more expensive.

None the less, that floor plan is popular, whether it saves money or not.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,816 posts, read 40,161,009 times
Reputation: 24375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Are people really trying to say that there is some giant conspiracy that is forcing open concept on the unsuspecting masses? Okay then.

Anyway my new house is open concept for the main living spaces and I am really enjoying it. I personally hate to leave dirty dishes or other food or clutter around the kitchen, so that part is not an issue for me. I live alone, so I do not need to close off spaces because of noise and I like that everything is close at hand. So this layout is really suiting me. It's also a small house, so I appreciate the breezy openness and natural light throughout. Oh yes, and I am in the Northeast -- imagine that! Anyway, it works for me and that's all that I care about.

Not a giant conspiracy. Just that builders know that buyers watch HGTV and want what's shown there and that's open plan and so that's what the builders of mass homes primarily if not solely build, thus making it difficult if not impossible for anyone with a reasonable budget wanting to buy a new build to find one that is NOT open concept. It doesn't take a conspiracy to create this problem Trust me, I run into this a lot in my profession. Just like running into HOA's everywhere and a lot of clients who say they want to buy, but will NOT buy anyplace WITH an HOA, when HOA's, because of their reputation for preserving property values and their lifting of certain expenses from cities, are the way things are going making it difficult to find homes not in them. (Though builders are catching on and there are now quite a few subdivisions that anyone who loves HOAs would think were HOA neighborhoods but are not.) It's all about the bottom line, not what people really want, and turning that ship takes a while because so much is invested in the status quo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Somewhere.
10,353 posts, read 23,233,075 times
Reputation: 8641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Anyone notice that as the walls were coming down, a new one sprung up between the toilet and the rest of the bathroom?

People still wanted their "me" time!

I do not care for the toilet in it's own room. Ours is a really long skinny room. Wasted space. I like the homes where the toilet is against the wall across from the tub or shower, and there is a nice half wall between it and sink area. That is better than the groping in the dark trying to get to that toilet room while asleep.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 11:02 PM
 
6,757 posts, read 7,728,999 times
Reputation: 11701
My kitchen/family room is pretty open. And I love it. Been here for 15 years, and wouldn't change it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 PM
 
6,757 posts, read 7,728,999 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I do not care for the toilet in it's own room. Ours is a really long skinny room. Wasted space. I like the homes where the toilet is against the wall across from the tub or shower, and there is a nice half wall between it and sink area. That is better than the groping in the dark trying to get to that toilet room while asleep.
We have a separate "water closet" (room) for our toilet in the master bath. Love it. Someone can be using the toilet while someone else is washing hands, doing hair, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top